which oil?

samw5

Registered
just wondering what kind of oil everyone uses.

warm weather (summer time 90s)

cooler weather (down to 40s-50s)

Synthetic or non synthetic?

I'm inclined to use some synthetic and have had good luck with Redline before... never in bikes though.

Amsoil full synth since breakin.
smile.gif

I've used in order:

Whatever it came with

Castrol GTX 10W40 (dino)

Valvoline VR 20W50 (dino), and at 2000 miles switched to synthetic:

Amsoil 10W40 MC oil

Maxima Maxim four 15W50 (mostly ester based syn.)

Silkolene Pro 4 SX (mostly ester syn.)

Silkolene Pro 4 Plus (full ester syn.)

Of all of these the last one is the best in terms of engine smoothness, shifting smoothness. All the synthetics will work though, and give that extra safety margin in cold and hot weather.

cool.gif

I use mobile 1 mx4t 10-40. I have since break in and now have 19k miles on my 06. I like it. smooth and never noticed any problems at all....

all_coholic.gif
Butternut extract! I like the smell.
super.gif
Mobil 1 / 5w50 I did use Rotella "T" full and now tried the mobil 1 i think I'll stay. Make sure you got it broke in B4 U go full syn though
rock.gif

Amsoil 10w40MC  Check them out.
http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mcf.aspx

SAE 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCF)
AMSOIL Synthetic Motorcycle Oils have been reformulated with new high performance additive technology that provides even greater multi-functional benefits for the special requirements of motorcycle applications. These independent and exclusive new AMSOIL formulations provide second-to-none viscosity protection for hot-running American and foreign motorcycle engines, transmissions and primary chaincases. Performance specifications include:API SG, SL/CF; JASO MA/MA-2; API GL-1

(FastBusa @ Jun. 11 2007,09:28) Silkolene Pro 4 Plus (full ester syn.) Very smooth.
I just ordered some, hope it's worth $19.99 a quart.
wow.gif

Anywhere I can find it cheaper?
Or, at least somewhere that furnishes the Vasoline with it?
smile.gif

(BusaDale @ Jun. 12 2007,10:15)
(FastBusa @ Jun. 11 2007,09:28) Silkolene Pro 4 Plus (full ester syn.) Very smooth.
wow.gif

smile.gif
I'm not convinced anyone deserves vaseline if they're paying 20 bucks for a quart of oil...
wow.gif

wow.gif

(CBXRider @ Jun. 12 2007,20:20)
(BusaDale @ Jun. 12 2007,10:15)
wow.gif

smile.gif
I'm not convinced anyone deserves vaseline if they're paying 20 bucks for a quart of oil...
wow.gif
Ouch!

wow.gif

I use AMSOIL in my 2004. I have 65000 miles on it. All I have done is put 2 chains, 3 sets of tires on it and some oil changes. I have taken it up to the limit a few times:thumbsup:. I ride mostly open roads. Not much on riding in the city.

Mobil One Fully Synthetic Racing 4T 5W-30
usually sells for $11.99, I've found it as cheap as $9.99

since 7,000 miles, have 28K+ now, never a problem
change every 3-4K and/or before the riding season

Back