ECSTAR R9000 Oil (Yes, another oil thread :)

jgitt

Registered
Got an 05 Busa, little of 15k miles. I've had the bike since 6500 miles, change the oil twice a year with the amount of riding I do, usually once before season, and another mid/late season, again, depending on how much riding I get in.

Since I've owned the bike, I only use OEM oil Filter, and OEM conventional Suzuki oil. I have been scouring this forum along with google about switching to Synthetic, and seems like the general consensus is to go synthetic. I guess I don't know what I'd be looking to gain out of going full synthetic (obviously better engine protection if applicable), maybe smoothen the shifts up a little bit, and it looks like people are claiming to "Feel" more power from the bike. After reading I've landed on the Suzuki oils again, the R7000 semi synthetic and R9000 Full. I cannot find anyone with a Busa who's got a review, or really any reviews for that matter. I guess my questions are the generic + some.

- With my mileage would it be wise to go full/semi? An explanation to support you answer would be helpful. What should I expect to gain over what I'm using now? Are there any concerns with moving to a Full synthetic this late in the bikes life? Other than what the oil companies claim, any benefits?

- Can anyone comment on the R9000 Full synthetic oil? Experience with it in hot conditions? KCMO can get quite warm during riding season
This is not me asking for a synthetic oil recommendation, unless you have visual lab results any oil recommendation I feel is subjective

I'm really looking for someone with experience with the R9000 oil, or even the R7000. I don't want to deter people from responding but I also don't want to create the Millionth and 1 generic synthetic oil discussion thread....Riding season is right around the corner and I was about to order the usual oil/filter when the R9000 popped up and sparked my curiosity around making the switch to Semi/Full.

Last edited:
Rotella 15/40. :D

Running away now
Rotella 15/40 use to be a great oil to run. However after 2012 when diesel emissions laws were tightened up rotella was reformulated. And all the the additives that made that oil work so well for turbo busas were removed.

I started seeing the differences right away in a few big power turbo busa engines I refresh annually. I started noticing excessive wear on the bearings and side skirts of the pistons. The guys also made mention the went through a few more clutches then they usually would for a season.

So now I’ve turned to Castrol gtx nonsynthetic 20/50 on the turbo bikes. It seems to hold up to the heat of a turbo as good as rotella, and keeps the engine very clean.

Generally full synthetic is a bad idea in wet clutch motorcycle engines. Synthetic blend is your best bet, and what suzuki recommends.

IME synthetic ‘motorcycle specific‘ engine oil works quite well with wet clutches. Both of my CBXs (air cooled inline sixes) used Amsoil with great results, one sold @ 106,000 miles and the other had 66,000. For them I installed Barnett steels and Honda fiber plates. Full synth Amsoil has been in my 06 for 65,000 miles and I still have the original clutch. No shudder, hooks hard and no slippage.

I use Royal Purple full synthetic motorcycle specific oil and it works great, no clutch slip at all. I've used it in my last three bikes and so far, so good.

My older brother on the other hand only uses dino oil and has hundreds of thousands of miles on his 2 Beemers with zero issues...he says I'm nuts to waste money on synthetic oil.

The chief engineer of Suzuki Greece, suggested to me the Motul 7100, full synthetic.
I used them, and I'm very happy.
Gear changes are soft like butter now, and the engine sounds smoother.

7100_4t_1l-1-M-0163131-xlarge.jpg

Back