How long can synthetic oil last in a bike?

JPunisher

Registered
I have been looking for the answer to this for a while now with no luck. I was hoping someone might know and help me out. How long can a bike sit without changing the oil? The oil only has about 1000 miles but the bike has been sitting for almost a year. Haven't had much time to ride. Currently using Motul synthetic 10w-40. Can synthetic sit in a bike longer than regular oil? Is there a better synthetic oil that might last longer?

Thanks,

JPunisher

I don't have an answer to your question but personally: regardless of mileage, I change oil at least once per year.

Depends on the temp. change. I would think more condensation would be an issue with moisture internally.
Even if the bike sits for an extended amount of time in excess of 1 year why not change the oil during its in service checkout. I would be more concerned with dry rot on tires

i change my oil after it has been sitting for the winter, before i begin riding for the year.
during the summer i change it once a month or every 3000mi, what ever comes 1st. :rulez:

:poke: if your worried, just change it.

i change my oil after it has been sitting for the winter, before i begin riding for the year.
during the summer i change it once a month or every 3000mi, what ever comes 1st. :rulez:

:poke: if your worried, just change it.

I couldnt have said it any better then that! Why risk a 2500.00 engine with a 40.00 oil change

Yeah I have wondered the same thing. Like last year I put fresh synthetic oil in it like usual but we had such a crappy riding season I do not think I got 1000 miles on it. I still changed it and the filter. Better safe than sorry.

You can send a sample to Blackstone labs and they can send you a report to actually know if the oil is ok. Costs about 20 bucks.

The thing that would concern me would be a filter that has been saturated in oil for a year. I don't know how long one should be left on the bike? I guess maybe you could cut one open and determine the filter material quality over time.

You're going to get varied responses on this one for sure.

It's a gamble, albeit a small one. Condensation usually doesn't happen unless it's a really cool, humid environment with high daytime temps, a swampish area for example. Think about the inside of your car, a car with it's windows closed doesn't get condensation inside (Until we get in and breathe that is.) and your engine is the same way, in fact it's sealed better than the cabin of a car. If it just sat for a year I wouldn't sweat it at all. In fact if I know for a fact when the oil was changed last two years would be fine especially to ride to the shop for a change. Oil is pretty stable if sealed up. It does degrade over time, even syn, but on that time frame it wouldn't bother me. Cleaning out the shop area I found bottles of oil, some opened and resealed, that were probably every bit of 15 years old. It's just fine and was lubing the pitbike until I finally gave it away. It depends on where your bike is stored as much as how long.

Unfortunately oil questions draw answers that are full of opinions and hearsay. But think of this. Your bike new sat in a holding area where it was built to the day you picked it up from the dealer for several weeks to months. My bike? 2011 model I just picked up. I don't know the build date but if they follow car model years then it was built anywhere from last fall to as far back as fall 2010 so the oil had been sitting in it for possibly over a year. Yes, it's brand new oil and engine but it still sat for potentially a year.

There is a line but with modern oil I wouldn't worry too much about it. If worried, change it. The filter should be fine so just drop the drain plug and refill. Me? I'd just ride it especially full syn.

i change mine every 2k and filter. it's been working for me for the past 10yrs.

500 days. But that depends on the number of heat cycles it went through before parking the bike. In an engine oil lifetime is a factor of oxidation and that depends on the number of heat cycles it went through.

It can last much longer if it is in a sealed container, where it did not go through engine use, or oxidation.

I couldnt have said it any better then that! Why risk a 2500.00 engine with a 40.00 oil change

Why? Motul Oil $65 + $10 K&N Filter = $75 to change the oil (and thats me doing it myself). I don't mind paying it (its the cost of riding such a great machine :laugh:) but I don't want to pay that if I don't have to. I am just trying to educate myself. I appreciate everyones feedback.

i change mine every 2k and filter. it's been working for me for the past 10yrs.

Every 2k? I'd be changing my oil every month or more in the warmer seasons :laugh:

I go 4-5k myself, filter every other.

To the OP, it depends on the environment and where you live etc. Post up more details.

Back