When good turns to bad - Video

Glad he's OK, sometimes guardrails can do a lot of damage to riders.  But it did save him from the cliff.

MoTrFinger, the guy has enough skills just not the good decision making skills like you said above.  As a veteran rider you can teach riding skills, but not decision making skills.  Its not your responsibility to ensure other riders you ride with make good decisions.  People may critisize the guy for what happened, but they don't know what they would do in that situation because each situation is different.  Everyone make bad decisions, all the time.

Crashing is life on two wheels, I'm just glad the guy isn't hurt badly and is able to learn from this experience.
FYI the guy is cool here is his exact quote from another message board

"lesson well learned. i know i have no one to blame except for myself. i am glad we got it on cam tho. i hope that i can influence someone with my stupidity to not do the same. "

Me and a 2 other riders (we had 10 in our group) were talking over lunch and commented that the guy was riding agressive and would likely pay the price sooner or later, little did we know it was sooner rather than later. Oh well all is well that ends well. At least the CHP did not confiscate my tape as they originally said they would, yep the lady in the car told them it was on film and they wanted to see it I showed it to them and then they said I could keep it
smile.gif
They actually did not even take a formal statement from me cause as they said they had the physical evidence (contact on the guard rail) and having reviewed the tape can report fairly accurately what happened. Good thing is he's a marine and they will not let you ride on base without proof of insurance so we know he was covered let the insurance company worry about the money part I'm sure if he made contact with the car it will get fixed.

BTW The on scene CHP did not inspect the vehicle and noted no damage that I'm aware so I think the camera angle makes it look like he made contact with the car but I do not belive it was.

that looked like it hurt.  that guys about a brain surgeon you can see the debris on the side of the road.

<!--EDIT|busabullet
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110269707 -->

watching the vid - he had time to slow dn - it appears he just had a 'brain freeze' of indecision - i noted that the rpms didnt chg - no gear dn - no braking - no accel - just frozen in that moment as he approached the rear of the car - his bud behind had plenty of time to slow.

as many have said - experience is what he apparently lacks - lol - he has some now! but 1 other thing - he went thru the turn b4 - knee draggin and all - he must have known about the lane merging, decreasing radius turn he went thu only a short time b4 - he must have seen the car ahead of him in the right lane - the lane he KNOWS is merging into a tight turn. i just would like to have been inside his noggin to listen to exactly what was goin thru there as he rounded the turn. seems like not a whole lot  - he just kinda appeared to be 'locked up'.

hope he has learned something....

watching the vid - he had time to slow dn - it appears he just had a 'brain freeze' of indecision - i noted that the rpms didnt chg - no gear dn - no braking - no accel - just frozen in that moment as he approached the rear of the car - his bud behind had plenty of time to slow.

as many have said - experience is what he apparently lacks - lol - he has some now! but 1 other thing - he went thru the turn b4 - knee draggin and all - he must have known about the lane merging, decreasing radius turn he went thu only a short time b4 - he must have seen the car ahead of him in the right lane - the lane he KNOWS is merging into a tight turn. i just would like to have been inside his noggin to listen to exactly what was goin thru there as he rounded the turn. seems like not a whole lot  - he just kinda appeared to be 'locked up'.

hope he has learned something....
Very good observation onthe freezing, we all agreed an easy emergency stop would have likely prevented any collision. I think when he saw how fast he came up on the car even though he was not going as fast as the previous pass he just froze like you said.

Glad he is ok. That road has some good corners. Been on it in a car a couple times, never on a bike though. It would be fun.

Thank god this guy is a live.

Always be safe and remember do not think you are a good rider and nothing will happen to you because not everyone around you as good as you.

I would like to share with the following stories about my friends. We are a group of Hayabusa riders and some times some of us like to street race, three nights a go we lost one of our excellent riders .

He just modified his bike by installing muzzy big block and wanted to test ride and race the bike. Many people were around with their bikes and cars watching the races which were taking place at night.
On the final race one of the people decided to get into his car to leave while the race was still taking place, my friend with his modified bike ended up crashing into the car at a very high speed due to the stupidity of the driver as he used the same racing road to go to the other side of the road (he escaped unhurt).

The car (Camaro) was totaled with the transmission and deferential excel parts scattered on the road. Sadly our friend (the rider) died on the spot he was 41 yrs old leaving behind his wife and 3 kids (“2 “girls 4 yrs & 6 yrs and one boy aged 8) my condolences and prays goes to his family.

Overall this was the fourth accident in our group in three month period.

One rider had minor injury when a car cut him off but his bike was badly damaged, the other rider was in a coma for almost 6 weeks and the doctors almost amputated his leg but thank god he is ok (again this rider was cut off by car driver) .

The third rider had a bad accident trying to avoid a pedestrian and ended up hitting a traffic light control panel metal box on the head; his helmet broke from the impact.

He broke his shoulder, and his scull was broken in three places; when he came out of the induced coma he is no longer able to use his left hand and he lost his memory.
He could not recognize us or his parents which was very sad and heart breaking; he is now in Germany for treatment we hope to see him well soon.

Since these accidents I have changed my riding habits any paying more attention to other road driver’s riders as you can never be to safe.

So guys stay safe all the time god bless you

Overall this was the fourth accident in our group in three month period.

Since these accidents I have changed my riding habits any paying more attention to other road driver’s riders as you can never be to safe.
uh ...

lemme get this straight - 4 serious accidents in 3 mths - one group member DEAD - the second group member with a badly damaged bike. the third came out of a coma with a near amputation - and finally, the fourth with skull fractures, coma, paralysis and memory loss.....

and ur like .... still IN this group?
rock.gif
?

tho i am sorry to hear about ur buds trauma -  i have to wonder WHY in the WORLD ur still a part of what appears 2b a group of riders who are;

A: extremely UNlucky and/or
B: very foolish and/or
C: very inexperienced.....

or

maybe the highways and bi-ways where u ride r just one good time dangerous place 2b trying to pilot a 2-wheeled vehicle....

to be sure - i am gladdened to hear that u have "changed my riding habits" - but IMHO bro - u also need 2 chg ur riding partners....

personally, i ride A L O N E - i have ridden with small and large groups - i have ridden with a single partner - but IMHO  - i just cannot tolerate another rider newhere near me - gesus - it's not enuff to have watch every fn scrub in a fn cage bent on trashin my ass just because - but when i have to watch them AND another rider(s) - and worry about if/what/when/where/why he is gonna do something - i'd just fn rather NOT....

piss on me - whatever - i ride alone (me and Geo Throughgood :-)

<!--EDIT|caNNon
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110334200 -->

but 1 other thing - he went thru the turn b4 - knee draggin and all
If you watch his line in the first run through it you'll see that he's not holding a very good one. He's back and forth in the lane, making corrections from turning in too quickly to get the knee down. He's obviously more concerned on the first run with draggin' his knee and makin' sparks than with negotiating the corner *properly*...
rock.gif

If you watch his line in the first run through it you'll see that he's not holding a very good one. He's back and forth in the lane, making corrections from turning in too quickly to get the knee down. He's obviously more concerned on the first run with draggin' his knee and makin' sparks than with negotiating the corner *properly*...
rock.gif
looked at it again - i don't see him weaving in the lane/turn - to me, he looks pretty good in the 1st pass - i don't hear ne throttle/gear action tho - i would be dn shifting as i approach the turn - set the proper gear, position and speed entering the turn - hold that gear at a constant rpm and kick it up as i pass the apex.

i hear him enter the turn in the 1st pass at a constant rpm - i hardly evn notice the rpms shift - in fact, i don't think he even moves the throttle - he holds that rpm thru the entire turn only getting on it as he straightens it up.
studying it further - he does PRECISELY the EXACT same thing the 2nd time - with a good time CAR 30 feet in front of him!

That guy had to have big balls to try that but glad he's ok .
well - i think we have determined that he REALLY did NOT want to pass a big Town car on the outside of that turn.... lol - i dont know nebody that would have the cjahones to actually think they could get away with that pass  
wow.gif

wow.gif

wow.gif
 he just froze...

wow.gif

wow.gif

rock.gif
looked at it again - i don't see him weaving in the lane/turn - to me, he looks pretty good in the 1st pass - i don't hear ne throttle/gear action tho - i would be dn shifting as i approach the turn - set the proper gear, position and speed entering the turn - hold that gear at a constant rpm and kick it up as i pass the apex.

i hear him enter the turn in the 1st pass at a constant rpm - i hardly evn notice the rpms shift - in fact, i don't think he even moves the throttle - he holds that rpm thru the entire turn only getting on it as he straightens it up.
studying it further - he does PRECISELY the EXACT same thing the 2nd time - with a good time CAR 30 feet in front of him!
So you don't see him cuttin' the corner short and coming off the knee to widen it, then getting back on the knee? Are we watching the same video?
rock.gif

rock.gif

Oh, and you might want to tone down the use of the f word here. This forum is a family oriented site. Language like that is not the norm here as it is on other sites.
wink.gif

damn, unreal to many "could have's to even list!!!! glad he is ok, he should thk GOD in a major way. lesson learned, let traffic go by 1st.

Back