When good turns to bad - Video

I would say that it's remarkable that he is alive...
evil.gif

I cant imagine why insurance cost so much, what an idiot. I hope he learns from his mistake.

A most excellent reminder, thanks!!

Glad he's able to raise that finger and smile.

That said, WTF was he trying to do???

<!--EDIT|FL Knifemaker
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110225421 -->

WOW... what was he thinking trying to pass the car from the outside?
Glad he's ok.
After watchintg it about 20 times, I have to believe he came up on the car faster than he expected. OR, the car slowed down in the turn more than he anticipated. Possibly paying to much attention to the guy behind him?? To really leap at another guess, I'll bet that he felt that he couldn't get the bike slowed down enough while remaining behind the car and didn't want to try a pass on the inside with oncoming traffic. I wonder what's over the other side of the guardrail??

WOW... what was he thinking trying to pass the car from the outside?
Glad he's ok.
After watchintg it about 20 times, I have to believe he came up on the car faster than he expected. OR, the car slowed down in the turn more than he anticipated. Possibly paying to much attention to the guy behind him??  To really leap at another guess, I'll bet that he felt that he couldn't get the bike slowed down enough while remaining behind the car and didn't want to try a pass on the inside with oncoming traffic. I wonder what's over the other side of the guardrail??
I think your synopsis is correct. From being at the scene and watching it live I'd say he came around that corner (which is blind) and hesitated to make THE decision to slow down quickly. There is two lanes there on the turn (sorry vid to bright to see lines on pavement) and I think he thought he could make it around the car. I think he miscalculated how quickly the 2nd lane disapears. If you watch the first run you can see he was going much faster then the run that ended in the crash. He is a fairly good rider but very NEW to riding I think he is 20 he is a Marine stationed in Camp Pendleton.

Guys remember its not always how well you can ride but what decisions you make while riding.That is simply called experience, there is no shortcut to experience and proof has been posted here. I'm glad he's ok his bike is not to bad and his spirits are up.

btw some people in their cages took that turn over 50mph (crossing DY's many of them) some at 15mph it made for a decision orientated day.

<!--EDIT|MoTrFinger
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110226559 -->

I glad that guard rail was there or his as would be a memory
wow.gif

There is two lanes there on the turn (sorry vid to bright to see lines on pavement) and I think he thought he could make it around the car. I think he miscalculated how quickly the 2nd lane disapears.
In all the times I watched it, I didn't realize that.  You can plainly see the two lanes when's he's coming towards the camera. Just as the view changes as he passes, the lane ends!  Yup, ran out of lane!!  OK, modify my above theories as needed
smile.gif

Did his bike do any damage to the car??? That would have been a real added kick in the ass
sad.gif

<!--EDIT|FL Knifemaker
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110231286 -->

There is two lanes there on the turn (sorry vid to bright to see lines on pavement) and I think he thought he could make it around the car. I think he miscalculated how quickly the 2nd lane disapears.
In all the times I watched it, I didn't realize that.  You can plainly see the two lanes when's he's coming towards the camera. Just as the view changes as he passes, the lane ends!  Yup, ran out of lane!!  OK, modify my above theories as needed
smile.gif

Did his bike do any damage to the car??? That would have been a real added kick in the ass
sad.gif
No damage to the car, the thing about the lanes bothers me because earlier I passed by (video also to follow) a truck at the arrow of the two lanes merging which because they are white dashed lanes either side pass is legal I think because california does not have a "keep right execpt to pass law". This truck that I passed was also agressive coming up the hill and IMO was purposfully trying to beat me to the turn, so I had the lane I took the pass. So along the way and after my 135mile ride home I have entertained the thought that he got the idea of the outside pass from me. However I'm 41 and really don't take chances he being 20 made the same decision much later in the turn and to late to change his mind. I know I did not make him do it but its the seed planted in his mind that concerns me.

<!--EDIT|MoTrFinger
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110232103 -->

Glad he's OK, sometimes guardrails can do a lot of damage to riders.  But it did save him from the cliff.

MoTrFinger, the guy has enough skills just not the good decision making skills like you said above. As a veteran rider you can teach riding skills, but not decision making skills. Its not your responsibility to ensure other riders you ride with make good decisions. People may critisize the guy for what happened, but they don't know what they would do in that situation because each situation is different. Everyone make bad decisions, all the time.

Crashing is life on two wheels, I'm just glad the guy isn't hurt badly and is able to learn from this experience.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110240911 -->

If you watch more closely - his bike did tap that Town Car too. That sucks.
Glad he's alright though.
####. Be careful guys!

He's unbelievably lucky to be alive. Thank God for that guardrail. It's not very often we say that.

Ouch. That's one of the risks when you push hard with cars on the road. He had to go wide. or slow down, and he choose go wide. I guess he should've slowed down.
rock.gif

Motr,

You can't blame yourself for what he might have seen you do. My riding buddies aren't exactly motorcycle safety role models. If I tried everything they did, I probably wouldn't be riding right now, or worse.

It sure looked like his bike bounced off the car. Maybe it was just more good luck and it only hit the tire or something. Not the way one of our fine Marines should spend his day off!!

Back