Wheels for the 08 different?  Recommendations?

03inNM

Registered
Anyone know if the wheels on the 08 are different than on the early models? We know the sprockets are different.

Any recommendations for everyday use? Forged Al or Mg? Race teams seem to use Mg and not Carbon Fiber - why? Mg seems very cost effective, but will it hold-up on the street? Mg are not street legal for reliability reasons on cars, but bikes are very different since there is little lateral load and far less weight.

From all the research I've done, the Carbon wheels are far better than anything else. The only downside is the price. However, if you contact Charles @ Street&Track he can get you them for not much more than the Magn wheels if that is your price range.

Otherwise for a street bike that you don't plan to race/track, I would just get some aluminum ones that aren't to pricey...
cool.gif

Thanks. I will start by looking at Al, but Mg is only 20% more. If I can get CF under $2500, I will do it.

From a pure performance standpoint Carbon wheels have no equal. As mentioned their price reflects that. The magnesium wheels are a close second in performance and there are new ones (Durrani)on the market that are less expensive than virtually all the others but I have heard they are not yet available. Forged aluminum brings up the rear performance wise although at a substantially reduced price point from conventional magnesium or Carbon.For daily street use Aluminum would be my first choice from a durability standpoint. There are spun and cast aluminum wheels available as well but not as much performance oriented IMHO. All are DOT legal now but you just have to decide how much performance can you afford?

Back