sproket question.

patton37

Registered
Ive heard different opinions about alum sprockets and all the
different metals used. I want to shed some weight and put different
gear ratio on my bike. So are the lightweight sprockets strong enough
to handle the power and torque of the 08 and which manufacture and gear ratio would be recommended to increase low end acceleration??

Thanks for the help:thumbsup:

I have eaten Vortex aluminum sprockets up. I stick w/ steel. There are better places to lose weight.

:easy:

displayimage.php

I have eaten Vortex aluminum sprockets up. I stick w/ steel. There are better places to lose weight.

All in opinion. I'd try one and see how you like it. I've heard of people eating them up hard, even buds of mine...but without more than stock HP I'd say you would most likely be fine.

I drag race, wheelie, burn out, and ride hard at LSR but still use a vortex aluminum rear sprocket and holds together well...for me

That being said, I've got 5 hanging on the wall...different sizes for different things but I usually run the 45 on the street (most miles) and 43 alum (stock size) on the strip and no signs of wear on any of them. 41 and 42 on LSR and all are good to go~!~

Once you start building over 225 HP then I can see eating it up~!~

Guess things happen

PS (quote from takuon) Maintain & lube your chain regularly.....and you will be fine.

+1 on that...big part of longevity~!~

Last edited:
I use Vortex front and rear, 45 rear and no signs of wear. Some people's chains may not be aligned properly causing the wear.

vortex is the way to go for a rear sprocket... plus they have a contingency program too...

never had a problem with one, as long as you adjust the chain slack correctly.

Back