Steel rear sproket question

Tetge

Registered
I have been searching and I have not found a discussion about rear sproket choices that explains aluminum vs steel. I stuck a magnet on the stock rear sprocket and it seems to be steel. And, the threads I read seem to say that aluminum will not wear as well as steel.
Who makes a good quality 42T steel rear sprocket?

Also, I have seen posts that say that the bike is limited to 10200 RPM in 6th, which is 186 MPH. Does that mean that 6th is geared 186/10.2 = 18.23/1000 RPM making 4000 RPM = 72.9 MPH (my speedo says 77). If so, a 42T rear would make 4000 RPM = 69.5 MPH and top speed in 6th would be reduced to 177.

But, if the above is true, then a GPS would not seem to be necessary to calibrate the speedo as the tach should work just fine. So, I must have missed something.

Steel rear sprocket, I would avoid aluminum if your looking for long term reliability, they are cool because they are so light, but they wear fast out in the world. Especially with a lot power running through them. If your chain isn't perfectly adjusted they wear even faster.

As for the gearing question? Um.... I dunno, Never have worried that much about my speedo being 100% accurate. I know when I am going fast, I know when I am going slow. GPS for those "Special" occasions.

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120215235 -->

I just put a 42t steel sprocket made by AFAM. You can get steel sprockets from this place...

I did the 16/42 gear change. I'm tickled pink with the results. The bike has so much more punch in the lower gears. I love stop lights now
smile.gif
3rd gear wheelies....still a big kick when you slam high gear @ the redline. It does limit your top speed, But it's hard to do 180 MPH on the street. In my opinion the gear change is a must do. It also will affect your speedo (close to 25%) But there are ways to deal with that.

Back