Wheelies...be VERY careful

CouchRocket

Registered
I thought I'd tell my "wheelie story" since everyone seems to be drawn to the subject. Before I bought my busa, two years ago my friend had two of them and he let me ride his silver 02. Well I was pulling the second gear thing(whackin the throttle) The front end came up VERY abruply and the wheel was turned in mid air. When it came down (@around100mph) it slammed down and threw me I dont how many feet. I received a concussion, a car ran over my ankle, and I went through 2 extensive surgerys on my left hand. Four of my fingers had compound fractures. I still can't close my hand and make a full fist. Anyways two years later I had to have one. Let me tell you, I have a world more respect for this beast and never underestimate its ridiculous power. I will admit I was riding with my balls and not my brain. Like everyone says just crwal before you walk. Take baby steps and be careful if you are gonna walk it. ( I gave my friend a 1994 zx6 to TRY and compensate for his loss.) I guess I really bit the hand that feeds.

<!--EDIT|CouchRocket
Reason for Edit: None given...|1125806446 -->

Thank you for sharing your story!!! I totally understand the power of the "beast" and I'm very cautious, taking baby steps all the way! I have a good mentor who keeps me in check!!!

One can never be too careful!

I tried again tonight being more careful than last night and I'm finding myself to be almost too timid! I got it up pretty good last night for a newbie and not at all tonight. LOL!!!! Lots to learn!!!

and yet again I'm reminded why red lights flash thru my mind and I hear the "warning, warning" thing from lost in space when somebody asks if they can ride it.

Good luck with the new bike... sounds like you didn't have insurance on the first one... that may be a wise investment this time.

i have the same issues with trying wheelies on the busa. im trying to take it easy and sometimes its not coming up like i want it. then i get flustered and bammmm she is 4 feet up. i need to start the secon geaar wheelies i hear they come up more predictable. but daum its fun to feel the power ripping the wheel off the ground isnt it?

I have insurance and anyone who doesn't should think twice!!! It's not a law in this state but it should be in any state in my opinion!!!!

i have the same issues with trying wheelies on the busa. im trying to take it easy and sometimes its not coming up like i want it. then i get flustered and bammmm she is 4 feet up. i need to start the secon geaar wheelies i hear they come up more predictable. but daum its fun to feel the power ripping the wheel off the ground isnt it?
Yep - it is a rush!!!

Just a few words of wisdom for you fellas out there who are just learning to bring the front up. Do your training wheel stuff in low gear. Master low gear wheelies before moving to a higher gear. The busa is much more wheelie friendly in low than second. A stock busa is not going to lift the front in second unless you give it help but will lift off easily in low. And, the biggest reason for learning in low, is a crash in low gear is much more rider friendly than a crash in second or third.

Scooter girl was a gas watching her do her first lift off. Her fires few tries were only a weak effort but after a little encouragement to give it more throttle she had no difficulty in getting it up. Actually she gave it a bit too much throttle and the front came up quick but a quick chop of the throttle put the beast back on two wheels. Was great to watch except for the parts that went flying off into the bushes :-)

Oh, and by the way, Scooter Girl does have a cute caboose and it's really hard to keep ones eyes on the bike while following from behind
blush.gif

...At least you learnt your lesson, and your a changed person... thats what matters mate!!
smile.gif

Clutch wheelies or power wheelies?  I love the feel of the power wheelies.  I think it feels like an airplane lifting off the runway.
biggrin.gif

I haven't figured out the clutch wheelie thing yet. I guess I'm too afraid of hurting the Busa.
sad.gif

<!--EDIT|DennisH
Reason for Edit: None given...|1125837619 -->

Just a few words of wisdom for you fellas out there who are just learning to bring the front up. Do your training wheel stuff in low gear. Master low gear wheelies before moving to a higher gear. The busa is much more wheelie friendly in low than second. A stock busa is not going to lift the front in second unless you give it help but will lift off easily in low. And, the biggest reason for learning in low, is a crash in low gear is much more rider friendly than a crash in second or third.

Scooter girl was a gas watching her do her first lift off. Her fires few tries were only a weak effort but after a little encouragement to give it more throttle she had no difficulty in getting it up. Actually she gave it a bit too much throttle and the front came up quick but a quick chop of the throttle put the beast back on two wheels. Was great to watch except for the parts that went flying off into the bushes :-)

Oh, and by the way, Scooter Girl does have a cute caboose and it's really hard to keep ones eyes on the bike while following from behind
blush.gif
The "parts" were my helmet visor and the side pieces! When I chopped the throttle I hit it on the windscreen and it popped off! LOL! I'm sure it looked pretty funny!!!

rules of doing wheelie's:

1.allow plenty of room in front of you just in case it stays up longer than expected.
2.no cops in site.
3.level /straight road.
4.start at low speed.
5.when front wheel is up make sure front wheel is straight.seen and heard to many tank slapping crashes.
6.when its coming down keep the gas on hard to allow soft landing.(fork seals).
7.I was told if in any tank slapping situation hitting the gas helps control bike.

I like to ride bikes that come up on their own power when they get on the pipe . Pretty predictable results there so cam those Busa's on up
biggrin.gif

Clutch wheelie not very predictable . I'm sure Confusious would have a line for that
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Back