Busa wheelies

I was told Busa's were notorious for this..........

- Hayabusa Wheelie Accident[/url]

So I never tried it.

Has nothin to do with the bike, more in the rider, with good tires and an aftermarket steering dampner a tankslapper like that is hard to do. He didin't look to be in control anyway, that's why he crashed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has nothin to do with the bike, more in the rider, with good tires and an aftermarket steering dampner a tankslapper like that is hard to do. He didin't look to be in control anyway, that's why he crashed.

If you truely believe this (Excluding "more in the rider") you are still a ways behind the learning curve! ???

If you truely believe this (Excluding "more in the rider") you are still a ways behind the learning curve! ???

I had a bad tankslapper years ago. I think first and foremost your bike has to have the suspension setup for you and your riding style, of course good tires, and the dampner is a big help, although it won't completely prevent them.
The guy in the video looked like he really wasn't a good rider. That he just figured out if he nailed it, the bike would come up, then he was along for the ride, no matter how it ended.
What am I missing?:beerchug:

I had a bad tankslapper years ago. I think first and foremost your bike has to have the suspension setup for you and your riding style, of course good tires, and the dampner is a big help, although it won't completely prevent them.
The guy in the video looked like he really wasn't a good rider. That he just figured out if he nailed it, the bike would come up, then he was along for the ride, no matter how it ended.

And when I said "Has nothin to do with the bike" I meant the Busa in general. As the original post was saying he heard this was common in Busa's.

First off, I am happy to see you getting the most out of your busa. Wheelies can become an addiction worse than cocaine! :beerchug:

To comment on the bold print above:

He didin't look to be in control anyway, that's why he crashed:
I didn't see anything that would make me assume the rider wasn't in control. He came into the video with the tire in the air, not very tall but still up. The problem occurred when he sat it down with the tire out of alignment. He instantly lost control as soon as the tire touched the pavement. I don't think an adjustable Ohlins damper would have saved him.

Has nothin to do with the bike:
Actually it does have a great deal to do with the bike. Some bikes are very forgiving while others are not. The amount of trail has a huge effect on bike stability making one bike more susceptible to head shake than others.

with good tires and an aftermarket steering dampner a tankslapper like that is hard to do.
A huge mistake is assuming because you have skills and aftermarket steering dampner you are imune from the dreaded tank slapper! You are not!
Tires have little if any effect on tank slappers.
An aftermarket steering dampner does not prevent tank slappers. It does help to calm headshake but only if it's adjusted properly. Once a slapper has developed you have little chance of avoiding the crash with or without a dampner. If the steering doesn't hit the stops, it's not a slapper it's head shake.

I think first and foremost your bike has to have the suspension setup for you:
Suspension set up is a matter of preference and has little to do with tank slappers unless you have shortened the trail distance. If the suspension is stiff or soft, it still wheelies just fine. Tire pressure makes a difference depending if you are doing slow or fast wheelies. Low pressure on fast wheelies or high pressure on slow wheelies will cause the bike to wobble but has little effect on stability other than wobble. However, Rake & Trail has a great deal to do with how the bike reacts to mistakes. Set that puppy down all crossed up and you are apt to get pitched no matter what suspension settings you choose. However, the more trail your bike has the better chance you have of escaping the crash.

Good riding though! I enjoyed watching the video. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input, I can agree with all of that. And I don't think the Busa is more prone to tank slappers than other bikes, like said in a previous post.:beerchug:

:bump:ing this because it's A******!
I can't use the word because Jet Li may jump out of my closet and get me.

:bump:ing this because it's A******!
I can't use the word because Jet Li may jump out of my closet and get me.

Thanks Saiid:thumbsup:, I've got alot better one coming if we can ever get our camera girl to take a day off and finish filming us again!:laugh:
Who's up for some reckless endangerment?!:rofl:(we keep it away from the public)

I was about ready to 'call you out' and demand a newer better video so gitwitit !

I'll see if I can get a friend of mine to film a mile long one or so out his car window in the next couple days.:laugh: I have no idea how long it'll take on the other one.

sixpack, i love your stoppie man.. gotta show me that one!

I can't give away all my secrets:laugh: Hot days, hard ridin, and stock brakes(then) make it hard to be consistent with them, or at least that's my excuse:laugh:I'll put a good one on here soon.

Always nice to see you showing how it's done on the Busa~!~ :thumbsup:

Cool vid. I like that still stand up pic, that's pretty awsum :beerchug:

Fun to watch, your showing some skill there bud. Be careful out there!
Posted via Mobile Device

Always nice to see you showing how it's done on the Busa~!~ :thumbsup:

Cool vid. I like that still stand up pic, that's pretty awsum :beerchug:

Thanks man:thumbsup: Milenium Sport Riders(aka sketchy bastids)are having their bike event at the bridge next month. Rumor is that the fast wheelie contest winner is gonna get $750. They're just trying to keep that in their club. Come on out, as long as their guy loses...it's a win.:laugh:

Back