What's the worst shape tire you have ever had~?~

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
I know I'll see a lot of core showing pictures in this one, but I'll start off telling about a tire I ran back in the 80's when I was young, naive, ignorant, poor, and just plain stupid for doing this...but

In the mid 1980's era I lived in a not so great part of town where I ride down an alley to park behind my house...this alley apparently housed a lot of nails and screws...see where this is going~?~

I kept a tire on the back of my bike after putting 15 YES 15 plugs in it to keep air in~!~

Tell me your tire horror stories~!!~

Last edited:
15 plugs?:rofl:

I once got a flat on the highway and had no choice but to ride it home 11 miles. When I got home 2am my rim was bent. Talk about being young and stupid lol.

A belt that came apart in the front tire... on my way home. it Got so bad that I had to ride a 5 mph to get home. It almost got me while riding into to a curve!

With my 99 wore the rear Dunlop Q's past the wear mark to the core with ratty little fibers hanging out and you could see the innards.
Finding the rear in this condition was quite an Oh S---! moment after just parking it from the 50 mile commute and having just lit it up with an 180mph stretch!

My first tire was changed after what I thought was gum turned out to be cords showing. :whistle:

Avon Viper Sport. 3300 miles of fun, mixed with rain. I rode 275 miles on a plug on the rear across Nevada. I couldn't find a tire the correct size from Eureka to Reno. Reno was were I finally found a place with a good tire in stock. The rear tire was almost as thin as wallet leather in the center when it was pulled off.

SNC10435.JPG

in my camaro when i was 16 i litterally drove them till was threw the cords and i blew 2 and didn't have another spare to run

Avon Viper Sport. 3300 miles of fun, mixed with rain. I rode 275 miles on a plug on the rear across Nevada. I couldn't find a tire the correct size from Eureka to Reno. Reno was were I finally found a place with a good tire in stock. The rear tire was almost as thin as wallet leather in the center when it was pulled off.

Those tires would still be good for several runs throught the dragon.:laugh: Poor things dont look like they ever saw a curve.:dontgetit:

Those tires would still be good for several runs throught the dragon.:laugh: Poor things dont look like they ever saw a curve.:dontgetit:

HWY 50 across Nevada has very few curves. I would have ridden many more twisty roads but my rear tire sprung a leak as it was getting dark. My route then changed to the fastest route to a shop that had a proper tire.

I bought a Honda cb750f from a friend of mine just before Christmas one year for $300.00, he needed Christmas money, He rode on that tire until it blew! past everything,wear bars, cords, all the way to the air :rofl:

I have ridden two back tires down to the cord...first time was on a TL1000R, second was on my Busa. I usually go straight to the shop when I see that.

I don't ride with bad tires..:laugh: Long before the tread is gone the tire is on it's way out I ride to much in the rain in South Florida for that :laugh:

I was running this slick at the last track day I did. It stepped out real bad on a high speed left & I barely recovered it. I get back to the pit & you can see a layer of rubber had peeled off. Changed that dude out quick.

TIREPEEL.jpg

Back