Can you patch a motorcycle tire?

Have you or anyone for that matter, ever heard of a motorcycle tire exploding after a repair?
I can't know what anyone else has heard of, but I've never ridden on a repaired tire any distance other than to get home, so no I don't have any personal experience with catastrophic failure of a repaired motorcycle tire. I have had a rapid deflation of a tire on the drive axle of a concrete truck, it completely demolished the steel fender covering it. Motorcycle tires aren't constructed of different materials or using different processes than types of tires that I have seen explode, and there are only two per machine vs the four or more on cars and trucks. Motorcycle tires are subjected to heat and centrifugal forces at higher levels than most car and truck tires. If you're comfortable plugging a tire on your bike and riding it until it's worn out, act accordingly. I won't, I'd rather spend the extra money and buy a new one. I've spent way more money on far less important things.

A plug blowing out is not a tire explosion, it’s a flat. I see this is similar to an oil thread and as usual we’ll all do what we want. All I’m saying is that I’ve ridden thousands of miles on repaired rear motorcycle tires w/o losing air or having any problem whatsoever.

When it loses air instantly, and splits the hole it was in, and cannot be repaired without an inner patch(which I wouldn't trust), that counts as an explosion. It just didn't disintagrate the tire, but blew it open.

A plug blowing out is not a tire explosion, it’s a flat. I see this is similar to an oil thread and as usual we’ll all do what we want. All I’m saying is that I’ve ridden thousands of miles on repaired rear motorcycle tires w/o losing air or having any problem whatsoever.
And that's great. I'm glad you've been able to do that. We take enough chances riding on the street, I'm not willing to take a chance to save a couple hundred bucks. You spend tons on safety gear, why pick tires as the place to be cheap?

I am going to ride it for a while. I will keep a close eye on the patch and pressure. I will get a new one by the end of spring or beginning of summer...

No high speeds over 80/85 I would say until then.

I picked up a screw around 400 miles on my 2019 FJR. I rode today and hit 1008 miles and changed the engine oil, shaft oil, took off the wheel and took it to the dealer and put a P4GT tire on it for peace of mind...
IMG_6035.JPG
IMG_6036.JPG
IMG_6037.JPG

Back