Can you patch a motorcycle tire?

I used to fix flat tires at Chevy Dealership, Sears and Discount, I would only recommend a plug and patch combo it's the plug with a patch on the top of it. This is the only type of plug I recommend for any flat.

Before attempting a repair I recommend contacting the manufacturer to see if they will offer a coupon or any kind of warranty.

Most places don't do repairs on Motorcycle tires because they all come in different compounds some soft some hard, most of the bike tires that came in were too bald to fix anyhow.

Process I used was : pull screw or nail, inspect the hole, scrape the inside layer around the hole, drill the hole, scrape the area around the hole again, drop some rubber cement up down and across, LET IT DRY pull the plug through the hole, roll out the air bubbles from the center of the patch out, then coat with some rubber sealant, snip the excess plug, remount conduct water test and if it passes with no bubbles then balance.

I recall getting several 13" and 15" wide Corvette and Porche tires in for repair, they were repairable but I would always turn them down because they would not tip and expected a quick turnaround.

For a Busa or high-speed bike I definitely would just replace the whole tire, for a Cruiser I would patch ot and tell my grandma to take it easy on it.

IMHO Patch is superior to plug because of working of the belts on a motorcycle can cut a plug in two. A patched tire just loses a couple of speed ratings.
In other words I would replace only because I wouldn't want to limit my bike to 130 or so because I tend to get cought up "in the moment" and look at my speedo reading 175ish and go "oh crapo Im not supposed to go over 129!!!" :crazy: BUT if you tend to cruse more than some of us hooligans :devil: nothing wrong with a properly done patch.

We call em dog turds (those sticky stringy things) as Wuz said if they hold air ok then run tyre till its done, maybe a little earlier than u normally do.

If it doesn’t lose air or fail after hundreds of miles why buy another tire then? The worms I use seem to almost vulcanize with the tire’s rubber.
I'm sure that you're right, and I'm not basing what I do on logic or reason, but I simply don't trust a patched or plugged tire on anything fast, car or bike any longer than is absolutely necessary. On a mud toy or commuter car? Sure, I'm in. Something that's gonna see north of 150? Nope.

We call em dog turds (those sticky stringy things) as Wuz said if they hold air ok then run tyre till its done, maybe a little earlier than u normally do.
The 'dog turd' string repair is illegal, will not pass WoF, and is not advised to use, only in emergencies and at low speeds!
The proper repair patch with rubber plug connected, all one piece, vulcanized to the tyre is acceptable, but as others have said correctly, temporary with a couple of speed ratings knocked off.
A new tire is really the only way to go. Damn. :firing:

Lol. I guess I’m just crazy then because I’ve plugged both of my last two rear tires and driven them in excess of 186mph nearly ever ride. Plugged new ones and rode them till junk. Hell I’ve plugged FRONT tires and driven top speed till they’ve warn out. Never an issue. Never a problem. I plug it and forget it.

I am going to ride it for a while. I will keep a close eye on the patch and pressure. I will get a new one by the end of spring or beginning of summer...

No high speeds over 80/85 I would say until then.

Again.... Your bike your $$$ your well being YOUR CHOICE. If your comfortable with patching or plugging or whatever it is you decide to use more power to you ride on!!! :race:

For me if there’s a 1% or 5% chance the tire could fail as a result of that patch I’d rather pay for a new tire. I’m not rich but a new tire won’t break my budget. If this was a Dirtbike or scooter I might say screw it and ride around in the woods and such. But on a bike that has a much power as my Busa there’s an inherent risk every time I get on it no need to add more risk

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread.
I went out to ride my 19 FJR today and the rear tire was flat. It was near the middle of the tread so I pluged it. It only had 697 miles on it (740 since I rode it today after the patch). I hate to replace a new tire so I guess I will try to get a few k off it and be careful...if it was the front I would replace it right away.

Anyone had any problems with plugs?
I got a screw on the rear tire while on a trip on the concours and used a “mushroom” plugged it. The rode that tire for another 5k miles without a problem. Finally wore it out last weekend, so installed a set of pirelli angel GT on it. I personally don’t have a problem, but I never had to plug a front tire.

Nah my bike and definitely my life is worth more than a couple hundred bucks....

Idk maybe it’s just me but I’d patch or plug to get me to where I’m going but that thing would be replaced with a brand new 1 before I got on it again. Don’t care if the tire only had 300 or 3,000 miles
I am another vote for plugging it to get home, then replacing the tire.
IMHO Patch is superior to plug because of working of the belts on a motorcycle can cut a plug in two. A patched tire just loses a couple of speed ratings.
In other words I would replace only because I wouldn't want to limit my bike to 130 or so because I tend to get cought up "in the moment" and look at my speedo reading 175ish and go "oh crapo Im not supposed to go over 129!!!" :crazy: BUT if you tend to cruse more than some of us hooligans :devil: nothing wrong with a properly done patch.
Man up and buy a new tire.
A patch is l I'll ke a pad for a tire
I would Never plug or patch a Sportbike Tire. A dual sport or something like that, just to get me home, ok..
Please keep me in mind if you get a nail on a rear tire and take it off, because of that. Just send it to me. I’m not kidding or trying to be a smart a$$. I’ll be more than happy to put a mushroom plug in it and wear it out.

ECEAD77D-B90E-4571-ABA1-9D962FB9F4D1.jpeg

Well there you have it your answer and a few more to boot. Take your pick. And yes I have plugged a rear tire and ran it to worn out you just have to know how to do it what techniques works & what to use. That being said no I would not plug a front except to get home. Greg38 is right you can have a rear flat & not notice till you slow down then feel an odd wiggle which only a lesser rider might ignore.

Thing is, even getting a flat at 165+ the sidewall is so stiff the bike can still be ridden. I didn't even know I had a flat until I slowed to around 55. It doesnt explode.
It's not the getting a flat part that bothers me. I drove a truck for years, and I've seen tires come apart. Not just recaps, virgin rubber truck tires, car tires etc. I'm sure that most of us could ride out a flat rear from speed, probably a front too. But I'm not going to take the chance of a repair leading to catastrophic failure. Tires can, and do explode.

It's not the getting a flat part that bothers me. I drove a truck for years, and I've seen tires come apart. Not just recaps, virgin rubber truck tires, car tires etc. I'm sure that most of us could ride out a flat rear from speed, probably a front too. But I'm not going to take the chance of a repair leading to catastrophic failure. Tires can, and do explode.

Have you or anyone for that matter, ever heard of a motorcycle tire exploding after a repair?

I've had 2 rear tires blow out, both going straight, and at lower speeds.
They did blow out suddenly, and were flat in seconds.
I carry a plug kit, but have never had to use it...and there was no plugging the open gashes when these tires blew.
One, I limped home a couple miles, very slow around turns so not to chew up the wheel. The other time the bike had to go on a trailer.
I've had dirtbike as well as car and atv/4wheeler tires blow out too(and tractor trailer), with obviously much lower risk.
If a rear streetbike tire blows in a straight line, it's not bad. But in a curve, it could cause problems.
If a front tire blows, it has the potential to me much worse, depending on alot of variables.
Plug it to get home, sure. Keep riding on it, that's entirely up to you, but the risk is really high.
I'll buy a new tire and not worry about it.
To each their own.

Last edited:
Have you or anyone for that matter, ever heard of a motorcycle tire exploding after a repair?

I have personally seen(not my bike)a plug blow out.
It appeared to be installed correctly, for a nail, so just a small straight through hole.
He didn't make it a few hundered yards beore the plug failed and came out.
Alot of things could have caused it to fail, but it can and does happen.
I've seen several fail in car and atv tires as well.

It appeared to be installed correctly, for a nail, so just a small straight through hole.
I wouldn’t ride around my neighborhood with a motorcycle tire plugger with a “worm” strip, but worn several until worn out with musroom style plug that I bought from @pashnit . Here is my concours tire I just took off. Ran it until I hit the wear marks and never an issue in 5k miles after plugging it. Mushroom plugs expand inside, so they can only be removed from the inside. One thing is though, I ride like an old lady and 90MPH once in a blew moon is the most I do. I have tested the busas “topspeed ability”, but not something I do regularly, like others do.

0B726340-9134-4F38-B817-6AEB79443186.jpeg

C6691E82-FB8E-4910-934D-061611FBB4B1.jpeg

A plug blowing out is not a tire explosion, it’s a flat. I see this is similar to an oil thread and as usual we’ll all do what we want. All I’m saying is that I’ve ridden thousands of miles on repaired rear motorcycle tires w/o losing air or having any problem whatsoever.

Back