what to watch for when buying a used hayabusa

MAKE SURE there are TWO front rotors lol... yes I speak from experience...

But no in all seriousness... watch for tweaked forks/frame if you can check it.. and obviously bottom of fairings, side cases/bar ends to see what type of drop it had if any. also make sure you run it out to redline at least in first because my bike had a fuel pump issue that didnt show itself until 9K originally.

Oh and tranny... watch for rough shifting.. I believe second gear was the one to look for.

Make sure there is no rust in the tank. The same key works the ignition, tank, and rear storage. Look for any signs of obvious damage. Any thing that doesn't look right.

When test riding watch for objects in the distance approaching at horrendous speeds and also watch for police officers.:rofl:

look at the new ones...

+1 :laugh:

Scratch across the top of the front fender indicating hard landings from wheelies. Fork seals go quick on the monster and it indicates someone that rode hard.

You can check for play in the rear drive indicating condition of Cush Drive Rubbers. If the bike is fairly new and low miles, this might indicate hard riding / drag strip.

Check for rubber under the tail, and as mentioned, 2nd gear. I like to check the oil level and condition of the chain which might give you an idea of how it was serviced. I check out the seller as much as the bike. The condition of their home and other possesions, their attitude etc says something about them.

depends on the year....99-00...much more to be aware of

pre 03 a couple things to think about

03+

2nd gear is the huge issue.

look for anything that just doesn't look or sound right and have a reputable garage or mechanic look it over if you are not capable.

I personally will not ride a salvage titled or reconstructed bike on a street.

-Take it to a mechanic...it can run perfect when you are test riding it, however it may start to eff up on you a few weeks down the road.
-Be weary of anyone not wanting you to test ride it. Most people will honor a test ride, especially if cash in hand.
-Check the vin. This one seems simple....but often times over looked.
-Lastly if you get an uneasy feeling...it doesn't cost anything to walk away.

-Take it to a mechanic...it can run perfect when you are test riding it, however it may start to eff up on you a few weeks down the road.
-Be weary of anyone not wanting you to test ride it. Most people will honor a test ride, especially if cash in hand.
-Check the vin. This one seems simple....but often times over looked.
-Lastly if you get an uneasy feeling...it doesn't cost anything to walk away.

I disagree about the test rides...

I wouldn't let you test ride my bike..

local dealer won't either.

Yep, I would only allow a test ride with cash in hand. I would check for a recent paint job and ask why? As mentioned above check the bar ends and stator cover. Excess rubber in all kinds of places.......at least on my Busa, lol. Check the VIN as mentioned and modifications. These bikes are made to be ridden pretty hard so if it is basically stock I would not worry too much (except trans).

I disagree about the test rides...

I wouldn't let you test ride my bike..

local dealer won't either.

I am the same way. No one test rides my bikes unless we have the sales process to the final step, money in my hands and the paperwork filled out. If they don't like the bike after all this takes place then I give them their money back and tear up the paperwork with no hard feelings. Too many stories about theft, bike abuse, dropped bikes, unlicensed riders or test pilots to risk it anymore.

I also agree about the test rides. A test ride is definitely not asking too much, but I would want the deal pretty much done before I let someone take it out. I'm not gonna let someone come test ride my bike just for the sake of riding it. If they're serious enough about it to bring me the cash, and go through the paper work, then I'd let them ride it first before the final signature went down, but only then.

Back