Lifting Bike Alone using bike stands

sk8snw8s

Registered
I have the Redline Stands (front & rear) with the extra wheel on the handle. The last 3 times someone has been there when I used the stands for lifting my bike up. I want to know what's the best way to do this by yourself and I know the rear goes up first. I did watch a couple videos on youtube but they are not lifting up a Hayabusa, more like bicycles :rofl: Hayabusa got some weight for raising and lowering.

Thanks family for any help and suggestions.

put a 2x4 under the kickstand to get it more upright. oNce you get the lift brackets positioned right on teh spools you are good to push it up.

I ahve a forward facing rear stand and it is very easy to do alone.

Good comments.. what are the best stands, you can found, that work best with the busa? Looking to purchase some myself. Also, do they come with the required equipment for the stand to lift on?

Good comments.. what are the best stands, you can found, that work best with the busa? Looking to purchase some myself. Also, do they come with the required equipment for the stand to lift on?

if you get the spool type stand (recommend) you have to buy the spools seperately

I have a redline front stand and a forward facing pit bull rear stand...no problems.

Putting up on stands isn't that hard just make sure its up right, but i would recomend having someone there when you lower it especially if you put the front on a stand

Stand on the right side of your bike in the rear (opposite the kickstand). Plant your foot then reach over hump and grab somewhere near turn signal bump. Stand bike up and let it lean against the leg/foot you have planted to keep it from coming over further. This way you can stand bike up without being afraid if it falling over, as your leg/planted foot prevent it. Now reach behind and get the stand in the spools, then, while keeping pressure on the spools step behind the bike (the stand is now keeping it upright). In one fluid motion, lift the bike with the stand.

Always do rear first. Do not 'pump' or jam the stand to put the bike up (any rapid movement could make the stand come off the spools and then you are screwed.

To take bike off rear stand, do same in reverse. Always make sure kickstand is FULLY extended before taking bike on or off.

This works for me for both Pitbull and Redline stands.

That's truly why I think they put the grab bar on it, to hold onto :laugh: Grab onto the bar and the bike does what you want, can balance it easy with one hand while putting rear stand securely under it. Also works as a good lifting point when you need you move the rear over some. I just never liked holding onto the plastics as yes they are good and snug, but if the bike ever did start to fall in either direction there's just not enough oomph there to stop it without something cracking/breaking, but the bar isn't going anywhere. Grant it I prefer the hump myself so I always end up modifying the hump to fit with the bar.:beerchug:

And also if you haven't already then I say invest the $10 and go with the spools, I honestly cannot stand the under SA pad type. I only use those on 1 of my bikes and that's the R1 w/300 tire, and thats only because there is place for spools.:laugh:

I have a factory center stand (very safe and easy to employ by myself).
But when lifting other peoples bikes in my shop , I have 2 very sturdy screw hooks on ceiling positioned about 6' apart that I put tie-down straps to each handlebar for cheap insurance , should any lifting go wrong . This type of question comes up often , and tie-downs and screw hooks are SO much cheaper than replacement plastics , lol . :whistle:

Thanks family some very good advice coming through. I do have the spools with my redline also. Just was wondering how to go about this if I had to do it alone.

I use regular rear stand (LP) - the white one. I have the grab bar - so I put the stand under the swing arm, position it well, then lift the bike straight with my left hand pushing the grab bar, and while holding the grab bar I push on the rear stand and lift the rear.

If I need to lift the front, I insert the steel rod through the frame (swing arm pivot), put two jack stands under it on both sides so that they almost touch the rod, and then carefully drop the bike on the stands by removing the rear stand.

Once the bike is held by the stands, I can use a regular floor jack under the pan to slightly lift the front. I insert a small block of wood between the jack and the oil pan in order not to cause any damage/scratches to the pan. I think the bike is a lot more stable using this approach. Also, no part of the front of the bike is obstructed by the front stand.

I like the idea of straps from the ceiling joists. But I have used a blanket between the counter or bench to eliminate scratches on the bike. this counter is used to stop the bike from falling onto the right side of the bike. Then I prop as many pieces of wood under the kickstand until I get the bike pretty close to being level. Do not forget...and I'll say it twice...do not forget to keep the bike in first gear...and...bike rolled as far forward in that gear as possible...bike now can not fall left or right. Smoothly place stand under spools...since the bike is not exactly straight up and down...one spool will be a little off center for the brackets that catch the spools...just smoothly push down on the bar extending from the lift. I'm 60 and stupid...and it works everytime...First time is always the worst. Get the wife or neighbor to act as a 'fail-safe" first time you try it. Your confidence will grow...

I do both stands by my self.. I have the grab bar on with the hump mod. I stand the bike up standing on the right side using the grab bar wit one hand and use the other to place the rear stand and hook it in and apply a little pressure and away you go.. ALWAYS do the rear first..
I have GPI stands

I just take the seat or the hump off, and use the bar that the seat latches to. Works perfect, and I don't need the grab bar on.
Also, I stand on the left side (kickstand side) hold the bike up with the bar, then just hold that bar with my left hand while maneuvering the stand with my right arm. Its easier with some stands than others. I think honestly the pit bull rear stand is the hardest to use by yourself...

Thanks family some very good advice coming through. I do have the spools with my redline also. Just was wondering how to go about this if I had to do it alone.

I have to admit that I have not removed the grab bar from my '08. I take the rear stand and facing the rear of the bike I place the stand fork on the clutch side spool securely. Then while holding the grab bar with my left hand I straighten the bike up using the stand. I carefully secure the stand fork under the brake side spool and gently lift the bike placing the handle horizontal on the ground. After a few goes it gets easier. If the grab bar was missing I would probably remove the hump and grab the latching mechanism.
Hope this answers your question and helps.

Hey guys,
I tried my hardest yesterday to lift the rear on the stand and couldn't!!

My wife was holding the bike, hooked up the stand to the spools and could only lift the rear about 2-3".
It was to heavy to lift. I'm almost 5'10" 180lb and can lift heavy stuff no problem, but when I tried the bike it felt impossible??
Wtf am I doing wrong??

Hey guys,

My wife was holding the bike, hooked up the stand to the spools and could only lift the rear about 2-3".
It was to heavy to lift. I'm almost 5'10" 180lb and can lift heavy stuff no problem, but when I tried the bike it felt impossible??
Wtf am I doing wrong??

Explain how are you doing it. It should be really easy if you got your wife helping, I can do it my self and you are bigger than me.

Hey guys,
Wtf am I doing wrong??

Couple of factors here. The various stands have different length arms, if yours is shorter like an older Pitbull it will make it harder to lift - less leverage. Also make sure that the wheels on the lift have a smooth and clean flat surface to roll on, any debris or slope will make the job harder.

Lots have mentioned that a Busa is no lightweight and that is true. Practice will get you confident but it's a heavy bike and takes some force to lift it. I find the front is way harder as you're lifting the engine more - once you have the stand touching the bike do it like a weight lifter, one smooth forceful action.

Back