Looking to buy a Busa, need advice....

Falcon Wing

Registered
Hello,

I currently ride an 01 GL1800 and have been looking for a Hayabusa. I found a Copper 99 in rather good condition locally, bone stock. I would like to know what you suggest looking for when buying used, and if there were any problems with the 99 that I should be aware of.

Thanks for your information,

JPAtton

Welcome to the board!

You have come to the right place.

Hello,

I currently ride an 01 GL1800 and have been looking for a Hayabusa.  I found a Copper 99 in rather good condition locally, bone stock.  I would like to know what you suggest looking for when buying used, and if there were any problems with the 99 that I should be aware of.

Thanks for your information,

JPAtton
Welcome to the board
 There are two recalls that you need to make sure were done.  One was for the fuel pump and the other was for the cam chain tensioner.  I think on the 99s the tensioner may have been recalled twice (not sure about that but I do know it was called back atleast once).  You will get some more replies soon.
Jim

Not all 99s got the fuel recall, only up to a certain number... even though all of them have problems. I know, mine spews copper particles, but missed the magic serial number by a few.
mad.gif

Other than the cam tensioner, I also check to see if the aluminum support unit under the tail section has been replaced with a steel one. The y were notorious fro breaking on the 99/00. (I hate when I can't think of the word I need when I need it) Someone tell me what the alum section is under the tail?

I am thinking "Rear Sub-Frame" is the Term you are fishing for.
I am new here as well, and I am also looking to buy soon. I want an 02 LE (All Black) or I might try to find an 03 Anniversary Edition. Anyone have any thoughts about the differences between the 02 and 03 Busa's? I have been in Love with this machine since 1999, decided it was finally time...well that and the Wife decided she really likes em'.

Back