What Octane Do You Run ?

Interesting article Brock Davidson provided. Hope it's not a repost :laugh:

Brocks Performance: Throttle Nation Magazine: The Gas Factor - Fuel Options For Max HP

Great article dad and thanks for posting(I've seen it before but may help educate those who continue dumping the highest octane fuel available into their bikes thinking it's necessary and will give them more hp,etc.,Brock himself has stated many times that 89 octane in a Gen II makes the most power and is perfectly safe[unless you're possibly running around doing burnouts all day at every stop light in 100 degree heat:laugh:],that the fastest Gen II Busa in his stable has run nothing but 89 octane from day one,etc.,etc.,etc.,but according to the gas poll on here the vast majority pay no attention anyway...,you know,"you can lead a horse to water":whistle:).

After reading that, I actually want to take a second look at my owner's manual. I just filled her up with 93 thinking that's what she wants.

After reading that, I actually want to take a second look at my owner's manual. I just filled her up with 93 thinking that's what she wants.

the owners manual from my Gen 2 states that I should use non-ethanol and suggests higher octane. Non-ethanol here is 92 octane and my bike runs fine (even though it's a whole octane short :poke:)
It's more important to have the non-ethanol than 1 octane.

My GEN I runs just fine on 87.
Just like the manual says.

My 4 wheel vehicles also run fine on 87.

Most gas stations around here have one hose at the pump.
Since 87 is the most popular grade, if one was to want something different
all the 87 in the hose would have to be pushed out first before the higher grade
started to flow. In a motorcycle would it really be worth it? You have to pay for the higher
grade when the pump starts up but are you really getting what you paid for?

I'll go back and read the article again, but the manual from memory states 90 up for the Gen II and around here I run non alcohol 93 bc my other choices are 87 and 89 ethanol.

I'll go back and read the article again, but the manual from memory states 90 up for the Gen II and around here I run non alcohol 93 bc my other choices are 87 and 89 ethanol.

You're probably better off with the 93 dad,since it's almost impossible to find Ethanol free gas anymore(unless you're around a marina,some of them still have it)and depending on how much water's in the gas(including the Ethanol)it's my understanding that the true octane rating can be as much as 4 points lower.If you beat on it pretty hard in the heat I'd probably stay with the 93,and as a matter of fact since Ethanol free gas is mostly a thing of the past and summer's coming on(heat!)I may start running 93 myself(better safe than sorry).:laugh:

Back