What made him crash?

pack mule

formerly known as rtgt
Registered
I rode with this guy a couple of weeks ago. He told me he had a spill in a warehouse parking lot doing circles. He thought the front tire gave up on him but I don't see that. It is a pretty new tire. I think they were pp2 but not 100% sure. The temps. were in the 60's. The spill happens around the 3:00 mark. 20 mph, the throttle wasn't rolled on to hard, steering input maybe sent him down. Also noticed the painted lines. I don't think the tires were the issue. And he said properly inflated.
- dsfbsdf.AVI[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dizziness!?!?!? I was about ready to puke watching the video! By the way tight diminishing raduis turns accelerating through 22 mph on flat ground aren't really all that slow. Anyway I don't accelerate at all until the bike is coming back up to vertical. Accelerating while digging further into a turn is a recipe for what you saw... Keep in mind accelerating tends to loosen the contact patch on the front tire (lifts the front) there in lies the problem for accelerating in a turn.

Last edited:
the contact patch on the front is far less than on the rear.

looks like there is something on the pavement where he wipes out a little wet maybe?

looks a little glossy there

heres a screenshot of what im looking at.

1.png

Last edited:
Couldn't make it to the crash part of the video. Got dizzy guess it would have been much shorter video if it was me. :laugh:

warehouse lots can be covered in almost anything, so id agree with Mattstang, probly a slick spot

Dizziness!?!?!? I was about ready to puke watching the video! By the way tight diminishing raduis turns accelerating through 22 mph on flat ground aren't really all that slow. Anyway I don't accelerate at all until the bike is coming back up to vertical. Accelerating while digging further into a turn is a recipe for what you saw... Keep in mind accelerating tends to loosen the contact patch on the front tire (lifts the front) there in lies the problem for accelerating in a turn.

Pick up a copy of Kieth Code's "Twist of the wrist II" dvd. It may keep you from ending up like that guy. Keith explains how to properly apply throttle and when to apply it in order to maintain proper tire grip throughout the corner.

Will be money well spent! :beerchug:

From the movement of the bars the front tire lost traction before he went down. Why? Who knows? I wasn't there.

From the movement of the bars the front tire lost traction before he went down. Why? Who knows? I wasn't there.

^^^ This

The front lost traction as the front wheel crossed the joint in the concrete at 2:58.

Either there was a difference in the surface levels or there was water or some contaminant resting in this joint.

I agree that the handlebar movement just before he went down showed that something happened. He was putting a pretty good turn at 22 or 23 in a tight circle. Not much room for error.

My problem is a tendency to continue to use the front brake at low speed and it will bite me in the butt one day. I try to not do it, but the habit of always using the front brake is hard to stop. I'll cuss myself out if I drop it by touching the front brake in a slow speed turn. If, I'm not injured from the heavy wieght of the bike..........I'm a NOOB MORON sometimes!:rofl::rofl:

After watching it a few times... a few things could of happened... It seems that as he was turning from left to right.... the front end lost grip! The bike pushed for a second.. like he hit some sand, or an expansion joint, or the yellow parking lines. He also didnt look smooth going from left to right, almost looked like he transitioned to quick and lost the contact pad on the front end! Still hard to tell but sucks either way!

the contact patch on the front is far less than on the rear.

looks like there is something on the pavement where he wipes out a little wet maybe?

looks a little glossy there

heres a screenshot of what im looking at.

1.png

I think that the painted line, might have caused it

I chalk it up to him being a tard, watch some of his other videos......:banghead:

I know. First time I rode with him I stayed in the back. 20 years old and only been on a streetbike for a year. He posted a ride from this past weekend, he almost rearended a car and someone else about got t-boned at the same time. Tried to pass a car just as it was turning.

Listen, I looked at the whole video and if a small seam in concrete or a 4 inch painted line that it takes literally a fraction of a second to ride or slide through is going to dump your front end you exceeded your skill level - not withstanding gravel, sand or a wet spot none of which I could see. Just looked like a dubious skill practice routine, poor judgement, poor throttle control, and poorer riding skills.

The real question is what did the rider learn from this expirience? I'd say nothing... Except the uncertainty associated with "accelerating" through diminishing radius turns... Don't risk dumping the bike in a turn, pick a good solid line through the turn and practice pulling hard out of the turn! Or better yet just take it easy and enjoy the ride! If he does that in the world he could end up run over by a car!

One thing is for sure, he lost traction on the front tire and it simply slid out from under him. Why did the tire give up grip? No one will ever know? Could have been on avon storms or pirelli angels when he should have been on dunlop Q2s or Bridgestone BTO16's, cold tires, maybe over or under inflated tire, body position, suspension, dragging brake and the list goes on. :dunno:

My guess is, the reason for his front tire giving up grip would be contributed to more than one issue. Rarely is a crash of any sort the result of a single issue or mistake. But,,,,,,,,,,,, to his credit he was only going 20 mph and the get off was easy. :beerchug:

Listen, I looked at the whole video and if a small seam in concrete or a 4 inch painted line that it takes literally a fraction of a second to ride or slide through is going to dump your front end you exceeded your skill level - not withstanding gravel, sand or a wet spot none of which I could see. Just looked like a dubious skill practice routine, poor judgement, poor throttle control, and poorer riding skills.

The real question is what did the rider learn from this expirience? I'd say nothing... Except the uncertainty associated with "accelerating" through diminishing radius turns... Don't risk dumping the bike in a turn, pick a good solid line through the turn and practice pulling hard out of the turn! Or better yet just take it easy and enjoy the ride! If he does that in the world he could end up run over by a car!

That's the second time he has been down. First time he said the bike went off the side of the mountain. Bike totaled. The new bike that he dumped in the parking lot is an Aprilia. He is one of those that you read about in the paper, and not in a good way. Hope he grows up before it's too late

Back