Always have a backup plan

CrashTestDanny

Registered
About a year ago, I had new tires mounted. When I picked it up, the first thing I did - since I'm such a trusting person
biggrin.gif
- was to check the tire pressure; right there on the STealer's parking lot. The tires were low - about 15 psi low!

Turns out the STealer had a bad tire gauge that was reading higher than the actual pressure. The checked with two other gauges then threw away the one they had used initially.

The point? Tire gauges can go bad. Have a spare. If a tire comes from the dealer and appears to be improperly inflated, double check with another gauge. You can never have too many of these things laying around - unless you're keeping one that has gone bad.

A close friend of mine recently learned that the main cause of his bike not handling properly was that he had released 12 psi from the front tire because his gauge was reading 12psi high. Double-checking with another gauge might have saved him some anxiety.

gauges.jpg

Wow, You have big gauges right here.

I took 5 different electronic gauges at PepBoys. they all were + - 1 PSI.
2 was exactly in the middle and I kept those two.

Good advice - I think we have 5 or 6 of them around the garage.... Time to test them all again!

OK, so anyone who knows CrashTestDanny knows that he only has 1 friend in the world and that would be me. It wasn't the only problem I was having with the Busa, but it was a major contributing factor.

I like the accugage. You can see in the pic (which I took with my phone this AM) that I had just checked my tires with it. I need to figure out how to get that gauge on the inflator and then I'd have the best of everything.
biggrin.gif

And I know I must have one or two other friends ... somewhere ...
rock.gif

I wish they would put in the built in electronic sensors that are mandatory on cars now... both my cars have it, and it alerts you if your PSI goes out of range by 5+ PSI... it sure would be a worthy piece of real-estate on the dash
biggrin.gif

The system I have is SmarTire. If you visit their web site, it says they are no longer soliciting sales and distribution channels for their motorcycle product, which suggests that they are discontinuing it. Not sure why they would do that, though. I've been very happy about mine.

Back