Tire Gauges/Inflators

bigoltool

Registered
Let me start off by saying that I am a tool guy. I can appreciate a well-built tool and I have gotten rid of, or just stopped using a lot of inferior ones. Tire Gauges/inflators are to be the focus of this particular rant. I have a variety of tire gauges in my arsenal, ranging from your basic, tried and true pencil type gauge to large digital Inflators. I carry a digital gauge in all our cars, and on my bike, as well as tire pluggers and compact 12volt inflators in my car & bike. Probably the best gauge I have is an old Digital one I think I bought at Lockhart Philips back in the 80’s (Its the one wrapped in red phase tape to hold the battery in)

Back to the current source of my frustration. My kid bought me a Tcisa Digital Tire inflator off Amazon as a gift a few years ago. When I first got it I was actually pretty impressed. It seemed like a pretty well-made item, rubber armored and relatively accurate. The first sign of trouble is that the damn thing just wouldn’t shut off after use no matter how hard or long you press the power button. I resorted to taking the batteries out! Then when I go to use it after that, it is all over the place on pressure and has no apparent way to zero the damn thing. It is now just a fancy piece of junk. I have a couple of other analog Tire Inflators that work fine but I really want to get a good reliable Digital Inflator for the garage that my old eyes can read easily.

First one I looked at is a Digital Model from Motion Pro. Unfortunately, the head looks practically identical to the one I have now and I am just a little concerned it is just the same old Chinese guts in a shiny new wrapper. It doesn’t appear to have a reset/zero button either. MP do make a nice Liquid Filled Analog Gauge as well but I think I want a Digital!

The other one I was looking at is from Longacre, who is well known in the car racing circles. This is the far more spendy version, but I think this might be the best of the breed. They also sell a bunch of different gauges and inflators from the budget models to the liquid filled bad boys including just the heads so maybe that is an option.

I looked at several others from Griots Garage, Eastwood etc. But all of them look like the same old guts wrapped in a slightly different wrapper.

So… any suggestions? Whatcha got, what don’t you like etc.
MVIMG_20190204_073923.jpg

I have a Blue-Point/Snap-on(gage and inflates)...and it's 4psi off from my wife's Kia Sorento tpms.
The most accurate I have is from Pashnit just a gage(with air release button).
I'll have to double check, but I think it's a Motion-Pro.
I need to get the Blue-Point I have exchanged for a good one.
Pretty shocked and disapointed with it, and it's been sitting in my toolbox for years.

I have three pencil gauges that have always worked very well. I’ve checked them against tire shop/machine gauges and the TPMS on my car and they’re almost spot on. According to my tire wear over the years they’re perfect!

I have three pencil gauges that have always worked very well. I’ve checked them against tire shop/machine gauges and the TPMS on my car and they’re almost spot on. According to my tire wear over the years they’re perfect!
Using the same. Can't beat them for the price and seem pretty accurate. I also cross checked vs. the TPMS in the car.

Using the same. Can't beat them for the price and seem pretty accurate. I also cross checked vs. the TPMS in the car.
I will be a third to that. I service TPMS all damn day. Those pencil gauges are just spot on. Nothing is more annoying than having to add or subtract to match TPMS. Especially the ones that update slow.

0794F9AE-4A59-46B9-8533-E5999766725B.jpeg

Yep, inexpensive pencil types is what I almost always use. Used to use my Blue Point Race unit, but the pencil styles are just as accurate, and easier to use. I have a long pencil type with a dual end for checking and filling for my dually of course.
Troy

I bought this some time ago and seems to work fine and I haven’t had any issues with it. I also have a “no brand” digital one that I keep in the tank bag and a bunch of pencil type laying around or in gloveboxes.

CF7D33D7-5CE6-4EFC-849E-E61CEF908EA8.png

Just to follow up. I did a lot of surfing, and in the end wound up buying an analog Tire Gauge rather than an Inflator. This thing is supposed to be the real deal. 3.5" Rubber armored head so it will be easy to read, 2 stage air release, even comes with its own hard case! Longacre has a solid reputation in the racing community. Guess I will find out.
http://www.longacreracing.com/products.aspx?prodid=7306
showImage.ashx?filepath=e:\Projects\vsm\code\website\U\356\\Userfiles\Product\52-52001.jpg

Back