Tire pressure check

forceofnature

Registered
I have had my pressure in the tires about 49 psig due to a faulty pressure gauge. I had 2 styles at home stick and dial types. I trusted the dial style and filled tires to 42 psig. Later I decided to check with stick and got 48 psig.

Feeling uneasy I bought 2 other gauges. Another dial style and one electronic digital readout type. These 2 confirmed that my pressure was around 48 to 49 psig. These 2 others were also within 1-2 psig from each other.

Now my tires are at 42 psig I think. Maybe I will have the calibration shop here at work check my guage for me.

Wow! Tell us what it was like riding on tires that hard? pretty bad or not bad at all?

Yea, I found the cheap dial type are wayyyyyyyy off, so I just stick to the pencil type when not at home where I have an accurate dial type (but with a long hose so it's not very easy to carry on a trip)
cool.gif

Yeah I did the EXACT SAME THING IN TAMPA.... Sucks too doesn't it? I had two stick, the gauge on my new air nozzle, and a digital all give me differen't readings.

So I hit the shop and bought an "accugauge" brand dial type and it's pretty damn accurate, and as it turns out the gauge on the air hose is accurate too, while all the others were scrap.

I must have spent about a week riding at right around 49 psi cold. Turn in was nice and crisp, easy to turn the bars while sitting still. But there was this weird unsettled feeling everywhere. I thought I had lost it. Bike was moving around a lot, and I almost lost control bombing around this corner under the veterans expressway in Tampa. That's when I knew somethign was up...

Sucked.

I think that is why I thought my tires were so slippery. The tires would squeel on low speed u turns and I had a nice fish tail down shifting for a turn. Didnt expect it but I just ride that stuff out. Any time you react to stuff like that you end up on yer butt.

I must have a slightly larger contact patch now.

Back