what I learned about tire pressure

So let me get this straight - I'm supposed to check the air pressure in my tires?

Isn't that something that the dealer does?

Do I need a special tool for that?

And while I'm at it, what's all this I hear about 'changing oil' ?

(pward76 @ Oct. 06 2006,11:48) So let me get this straight - I'm supposed to check the air pressure in my tires?  

Isn't that something that the dealer does?

Do I need a special tool for that?

And while I'm at it, what's all this I hear about 'changing oil'  ?
Don't Forget To CHANGE the Air in your Tires every 3000 miles!!!! OH, Wait! WE Don't get 3000 miles out of a set of tires, especially doing track days!!!! LOL!!!

all_coholic.gif

(WWJD @ Oct. 06 2006,05:flamethrowing:)
(bigjohn141 @ Oct. 06 2006,00:45) Seems that WWJD isnt crazy or stupid after all.
YOU CAN'T PROVE THAT!!  YOU HAVE NO PROOF!!!    

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!
Actually, there ARE some pictures floating around.......

(psalm69 @ Sep. 29 2006,11:40)
(WWJD @ Sep. 29 2006,05:28) Engineers?  I never found riding at the track.  I'll look harder next time, and consult him when I find him.   Until then, I'll listen to the droves of multi-year experienced track riders, racers, instructors and professionals.  They'll have to do in a pinch.  
smile.gif

My numbers are by NO MEANS the ULTIMATE for everybody.  They work for me.  Any many people have no idea they can and should lower their PSI for better grip at hard lean.  You COULD stay upright just fine at 42, but why not tilt the odds in your favor?  My mian point was TOO LOW gets weird.  I never experienced it before, now I have, so I'm passing it on

There's the whole "Nitrogen filled" thing where the tire pressure doesn't change from heat... but I'm not that sophisticated
Nitrogen won't change pressure in spite of temperature? WTF? I'm not sure what planet you are living on, but clearly the physics there don't apply. Consult your clearly unused highschool chemistry book for the answer to that one. Let me give you a hint it's called Charles' law. The only reason N2 is used in tires to to prevent a moisture build up from condensation thereby negating any balance problems at high speeds or in the case of aircraft to prevent unwanted corrosion. You clearly do not know what you are talking about. It is that kind of misinformation that gets guys hurt. No you really aren't that sophisticated.

My point? Unless you have data that backs up an assertion it is just an opinion. Don't present it for more than it is.
Hey guy, I don't mean to pee on your parade here but don't you think you're coming on a bit strong. The guy was just telling us what works for him in his situation. Perhaps you are a chemist, but apparently you are NOT an aeronautical engineer. Let's see now, I take off from ADAK, AK in the winter and it's -40C (just happens to also be -40F, where the graph crosses) and the tires on my jet are inflated with "compressed air" to proper pressure for a safe take-off, and I climb to let's say Flight Level 410 (41,000 feet) where the air is -60C and fly to, say Naval Air Station Pensacola where they're having a nice warm 80+ day, and I can assure you that I'm gonna have some major problems when I get into warm air. Those tires are gonna blow up like baloons and I'll be lucky to even get them out of the wells. Furthermore, I'll direct your attention to the FAA regs concerning this and remember... the load ratings of tires are based on manufacters recommended pressures and the ability to keep it there. Soooo, there is more to it (way more) than the balance you speak of and corrosion prevention. http://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/print_articles/FAA_reg_science.pdf

yeah... we've sorta moved on from that already, lear, but thanks!
smile.gif
Weird part was I DID present data in the form of PSI measurements before and after and all through. Oh well. Still a lot of good and interesting info from lots of knowledgable and HELPFUL people in this thread
smile.gif

smile.gif

Back