what I learned about tire pressure

(Director @ Sep. 29 2006,21:35) WWJD, Thank you very much for your post and the information conveyed, your experience at this track pretty well defines exactly what you were dealing with on that particular day, Keeps life interesting when the Air Temp vs Track Temp vs Tire Temp are infinitely changing.   Sounds like a Trackday at Willow Springs in February, could be 28 deg. in the am and fluctuate up to 85 by afternoon.

For Willow Springs and Buttonwillow a Fun and Productive Trackday, in warm to moderate temperatures, Tires are at an even 30 and 30.

Just a side comment below:

Note: Let the heaven and earth praise Him, the seas, and every thing that moveth therein.
Psalm 69:34.      
(Referring to God the Father, Creator of all)

Whoever the Viper is that is spewing un-necessary slop on this board, seriously needs to stop using the name psalm69, as it Appears the only thing he Praises, is Himself!!!
very well spoken! a viper he is 69, if your going to continue to disrupt the flow of info. take a hike your just here to stir the pot and if your attitude continues maybe you should think about changing your name Psalm69 to something more becoming of you.....

We as board members want new people to come and enjoy this site as much as we do, but I cannot condone pslm69's attitude. Everyone here may have differences with each other but we never have the appearance of true intolerance of anothers point of view. The way I see it psalm69 is another normal internet troublemaker that needs our help and support to become a worthy individual to the site. For some reason he has been a misguided individual and we should help him if we can, and if he refuses our help and kindness then take his A$$ out and tar and feather him naked.
guns.gif
guns.gif

WWJD thanks for the info man, glad you posted it up. I usually run around 36 to 38 on the street but I always wondered what to try when at the track. You would think in theory that you would produce more heat in the tire at the track than you would on the street so 30 sounds like a good starting point.
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

guns.gif

beerchug.gif

WWJD: thks for the info on the pressure, temp, and track conditions.
I have always kept my tires at 40 in front and 41 in back. After experimenting with different pressures here in New Mexico I have found these pressures work for my style of riding.
My Brother and I always debate about tire pressures and until recently he did not believe what I was saying. On the VTX1800 he was running with 35 psi in both tires, but when I borrowed the bike I would put them up to 40psi. When the bike was returned I would hear about how this is going to wear down the tire faster and all that crap... well he goes in for some tires and the first thing the guy says to him.. "you don't have enough pressure in the tire and you are wearing them faster" and then goes into the whole heating up, softening and wearing down thing... Long story short, Brother now runs them at 40psi.
Different riding styles, conditions, and personal choice are all part of this formula.
Thanks again for the info... weather is changing here (getting cooler out) and I will mess with pressure to see if there is a difference yet again.

Psalm you REALLY need to stick a sock in it. Hint: when everyone else is offended you REALLY are being a jerk.

post_34_53732_troll_dontfeeddd.jpg

Okay - so how long does this need to go on? Here we have two issues - One is a member trying to pass on learned knowledge, the other is another member trying to pass on knowledge.

Now, I don't know or care about bunnies flowers, TREs or blinker fluid, for that matter. What I do care about is that this thread had degenerated to the point of name calling and ridicule; which this site is not about.

So, with that - play nice... but it won't be in this thread.

Psalm 69, PM sent.

MCM

Ladies and gentlemen,
I am unlocking this thread so that things can be learned from it, both about tire pressure and about treating members with respect. Not trying to preach (too much), but when threads degenerate to the point of name calling, well, we got rid of the smack shack because of this...
As a result of my locking this thread and the subsequent PM that I sent to PSalm69, he told me what he thought (of me) and suggested that I consider deleting his account. While I cannot do that, I know people who know people, and low and behold, we were able to accomodate his request.

Threads back open, but please play nice.

MCM

Hey thanks, man! I THOUGHT it was a good thread when I started it. I don't know why it went where it did - seemed silly, and well, I've never seen anyone post up how LOW pressure feels and how it sucks, so... there it is.
smile.gif

Check yer tire pressure regularly - and remember when tearing up street twisties: Rossi and Hayden are not riding on full PSI street rubber [ahem... people sliding off on corners... ahem]

(Valium @ Sep. 29 2006,14:35) WWJD - do you run your "street" pressure the same for the front, and back tires? I'm just a simple minded guy, so no strange math or theory for me...lol. Also, some people run higher psi, and some run lower psi in their rear tire compared to the front. Can you please explain which method (More or Less rear tire pressure) is better for the street.

With the aftermarket wheels, which some people say drop air pressure quicker than stock wheels, and the ever changing climate here in MN - If my PSI drops below 30 (My bad for not always checking) I feel like the bike is very unsafe to ride. Sorta strange how just a few psi can make such a huge difference.... Thanks WWJD for your input....thanks for keeping it real simple for us Polocks

psalm69 - can you dumb it down a little for me....Don't be a d!nk about it, but can you give us some real world results, testing, helpful info for me to use...what settings do you suggest...if WWJD is so far off base, please keep us all safe from his Tierney of evil input
all_coholic.gif
Valium, personally I run the same in both cuz the manual says that. But people do run less [or more] in the front or rear depending on what they feel and want. Less in the rear for a fatter contact patch and more hook-up, less in the front for more contact steering, full front, low rear for dragging = excellent hookup grip and hard front tire skimming and rolling easier. That's how I see it anyway. BTW I weigh 190- 199 deoending on that days consumption FWIW

(MC MUSTANG @ Oct. 04 2006,15:10) Ladies and gentlemen,
I am unlocking this thread so that things can be learned from it, both about tire pressure and about treating members with respect. Not trying to preach (too much), but when threads degenerate to the point of name calling, well, we got rid of the smack shack because of this...
As a result of my locking this thread and the subsequent PM that I sent to PSalm69, he told me what he thought (of me) and suggested that I consider deleting his account. While I cannot do that, I know people who know people, and low and behold, we were able to accomodate his request.

MCM
Good on yer!
beerchug.gif

The nice thing about this site is that someone can take themselves out by stupidity and reincarnation is possible if they have the brain cells to learn from the first turn of the wheel.
bluegrab.gif

Maybe he will register under a new screen name and grow a personality suitable to adult discourse. If not, he will go to LABusas and to hell with him.
smile.gif

P.S.- WWJD- Good thread!

psalm69 makes some good points ..sure the pros lower pressure but they also ride very very hard .and put the tires through heat cycles .if you try to do the same and are sloppy in you riding .you d be better off at street pressure.(and have more fun feeling the bike) on any given trackday or hard steet riding. why do you guys gang up on someone just cause theyre abit rough in the way they say it? is this a busa site?we for sure can handle some rough play LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

(rob t @ Oct. 04 2006,19:38) psalm69 makes some good points ..sure the pros lower pressure but they also ride very very hard .and put the tires through heat cycles .if you try to do the same and are sloppy in you riding .you d be better off at street pressure.(and have more fun feeling the bike) on any given trackday or hard steet riding. why do you guys gang up on someone just cause theyre abit rough in the way they say it? is this a busa site?we for sure can handle some rough play LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can have a discussion and even disagree without being a jerk. Psalm was being a jerk.

Rough play has it's place but I don't think it's in Cap's house. Take it outside.

To MC's point, can we continue a good thread without rehashing the rest?

On the subject of tire pressure and nitrogen fills...

Psalm69 partially correct about the nitrogen and partially incorrect. Nitrogen is used because the molecules do not pass thru the pores of the tire like normal compressed air does, thus maintaining pressure longer, with less fluctuation than compressed air filled tires. On cold mornings, the pressure is low moisture will form, which is where your statement about balance comes into play. Nitrogen does not experience the moisture issues, nor the loss of pressure thru the pores. Heat does effect the pressure, but it takes more to raise the pressure. So you could do more laps without having an over-pressure issue as well. Imperical data? Google it. I learned this when I worked at Firestone sometime in 1992, after my first tour in the Army. Not arguing, just setting out the info for you, and anyone caring to listen to internet experts duke it out on the keyboard.

WWJD, thanks for posting the original information, like always, you give some real world experience advice that works. Kind of like my military school, the instructor teaches Army Doctrine, and I teach WTF works when your facing the enemy.

Charlie

all I can say is thank god psalm69 is gone from the board's. I don't care if you know more than anyone on this board, the way he represented it was in a cruel childish mannor. This board is better off without him, and something tells me hes never had the sh*t beat out of him in his life.

on another note, I learned something today from this thread thanks to all the contributing replies.

(MC MUSTANG @ Oct. 04 2006,13:10) Ladies and gentlemen,
I am unlocking this thread so that things can be learned from it, both about tire pressure and about treating members with respect.  Not trying to preach (too much), but when threads degenerate to the point of name calling, well, we got rid of the smack shack because of this...
As a result of my locking this thread and the subsequent PM that I sent to PSalm69, he told me what he thought (of me) and suggested that I consider deleting his account.  While I cannot do that, I know people who know people, and low and behold, we were able to accomodate his request.

MCM
Good job boss! Name calling is generally the result of one not having any merit to their argument.

This is a great site and I'm happy to be a member sharing and learning from others. I enjoy a good discussion but arguments with name calling is a different issue entirely!

Thanks!

so.... WHAT IS A GOOD TIRE PRESSURE FOR STOCK TIRES ON THE STREET?
rock.gif
?

rant.gif

rob, how do I heat up my street rubber correctly at 42 PSI by riding harder? the high PSI does not allow the tire to twist/bend enough creating the friction to properly heat up the tire from what I understand, not to mention riding hard through a corner puts more weight/gravity force on the contact patch up front which is small and thus prone to easier slippage reducing heatup again, not to mention accidents. So how do you heat them up at 42 PSI?

Yep, great place to learn stuff. That's why I keep coming back. It's great learning from other people who have "already been there"
smile.gif

SG: Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy says: 42!
biggrin.gif
I do 36-38 range on a bunch of different tire brands and felt way more planted, slickie and safe than 42. Too low [like 30] is BAD on the street because you can't heat them up enough to increase the PSI, and streets are not flat and smooth like tracks - thus you need more cushioning against aborations like uneven pavement, potholes, very small rocks. I haven't seen TOO MANY potholes on a race track
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Back