What I learned at Road Atlanta

vman1300

Never Forgotten
WWJD asked me a question in my track day pics thread. I answered it there, but I think it needs to be posted in a new thread.

Here is the post starting with the question:

Quote (WWJD @ Nov. 23 2005,03:14)
so, vman, I know you rail on the sweepers and such... tell the boys and girls the differences you have found between street riding and track riding?

There is no comparision.

I would hold back on the street(some may not say that ) for fear of a car, police or other danger. I have responsibilities that have to be meet so the fear of a BIG ticket, major crash due to a car in my lane was always in the back of my mind. Not to mention death.

At the track, I could charge hard and work on improving my skill level without some of the fears of street riding. I do know there is a danger with our beloved sport however that fear is greatly reduced by doing it at a track day under a controlled environment.

By the last two sessions at Road Atlanta I was riding harder than anywhere in my life. Pushing deeper into corners and spinning all the way from the apex out was such a great feeling.

There were times on the back straight, going from 1st gear at turn 8 all the way to the start of 6th gear, then banging 5 downshifts, hard on the brakes, real wheel sliding, backing in for turn 10a and 10b. Before the kink(turn 9) I was seeing speeds over 170 indicated on a quick glance.

Now the BIG question, "am I done riding fast on the street?" I think that answer is no. I will still be at the Gap a few times in 2006. I always try to ride within my limits at the Gap or any road, maintaining a good line with good braking points.

The next question "am I done trying to improve my skills on the street?" The answer to that is a resounding YES. I will reserve my track time to making me a smoother and therefore faster rider.

I know there are quite a few people who are afraid of track days. Maybe uneasy at a new experience, who knows. I know there were a few butterflies on my 1st lap, but those were soon gone.

Nesba runs a quality track day. I am sure the other orginazations are similar in setup. Their Control riders allow you to pick up the pace during the day and are constantly watching and evaluating your progress.

I know my days in the B group are limited, I was told this this past weekend from quite a few.

If you are even considering a track day, lets go together. I will be at VIR in March, Road Atlanta in May and November and maybe 1 more, possibly Barber.

hear, hear!!!! Very good write-up....very good!!

Gawd...I'm itchin like I got itchin powder on my nuts for a track here!
drooling3.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself
wink.gif
cool.gif

stkr00 = NESBA, #130 B, Mid West
tounge.gif

Thanks guys!

I would always try to come up with an excuse for not going to a track day. No I am trying to come up with reasons to go.....

good stuff vman! If you own a sport bike, it should be an unwritten REQUIREMENT to try ONE track day in yoru life. your bike WANTS to show you what it can REALLY do. and you can suprise yourself at your abilities. and talk about ZEN at one with the bike.. people talked about suspension, steering, grip whatever I never really could tell much difference and then on the track, every little stinking nuance was hightened in my 'feeling' and awareness of my machine. and it's SOOOOO much safer.... and SOOO much more fun! live freakin video game to me

save up $150, leave your ego at home, since many 600's will be faster than you, and hit the track to learn and have fun. you will do both, and LIKE IT!

MORE THAN worth EVERY SEEMINGLY EXPENSIVE PENNY!! Fun as ALL get out, potentially addictive, as I am sure any track day rider will agree.

I can admit, on my very first track day, I was SHAKING nervous sitting on my bike in the hotpit lane with this wide, long professional race track stretched out before me... HANDS SHAKING! not exactly sure why, that's not normal for me,but once we rolled out and I felt the smooth flat pavement, it was like the fusion of fantasy and reality of what my bike was designed to do.... something I could never achieve on the street! Smooth, safe, fast, fun! over and over and over again, getting better, smoother, faster OHH MY GOD! I TOUCHED A KNEE!! I GOTTA DO THAT AGAIN

aw geeez... can't wait for spring now...
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1132935948 -->

yep.. only takes one trip and it automatically becomes the coolest thing you've ever done with a bike.

i'm gonna try like the dickens to catch up with you at VIR in may Vman

good stuff vman!   If you own a sport bike, it should be an unwritten REQUIREMENT to try ONE track day in yoru life.  your bike WANTS to show you what it can REALLY do.  and you can suprise yourself at your abilities.  and talk about ZEN at one with the bike.. people talked about suspension, steering, grip whatever I never really could tell much difference and then on the track, every little stinking nuance was hightened in my 'feeling' and awareness of my machine.  and it's SOOOOO much safer....  and SOOO much more fun!  live freakin video game to me

save up $150, leave your ego at home, since many 600's will be faster than you, and hit the track to learn and have fun.  you will do both, and LIKE IT!

MORE THAN worth EVERY SEEMINGLY EXPENSIVE PENNY!!  Fun as ALL get out, potentially addictive, as I am sure any track day rider will agree.

I can admit, on my very first track day, I was SHAKING nervous sitting on my bike in the hotpit lane with this wide, long professional race track stretched out before me...  HANDS SHAKING!  not exactly sure why, that's not normal for me,but once we rolled out and I felt the smooth flat pavement, it was like the fusion of fantasy and reality of what my bike was designed to do.... something I could never achieve on the street!  Smooth, safe, fast, fun!  over and over and over again, getting better, smoother, faster   OHH MY GOD!  I TOUCHED A KNEE!!  I GOTTA DO THAT AGAIN

aw geeez... can't wait for spring now...  
tounge.gif
My thoughts exactly!

I am hooken in a monster way. I updated my Christmas list to include more must haves for the track.

thanks Tim!

Maybe one day I will get my knee on the ground.....

<!--EDIT|vman1300
Reason for Edit: None given...|1132976027 -->

I did Road Atlanta in June with the Kevin Schwantz school. If you want to learn that track I highly recomend that school. They really break down the track and show you everything. Its really a fun place to run, that whole turn 10a-10b up to 11 can be very intimidating at first.
beerchug.gif

Back