What Happened

Maybe what Lo said is the key. Lotsa folks will claim stock but just "different sprockets" If he was down one or two on the front and up a couple on the back, his third and your third are two different beasts.

Personally I'm not too sure about shifting right before the fuel cutoff (and I could be wrong). The horse power peaks sooner and I have heard shifting at 10 or 10.5 is the best.

I generally will shift around 10 to 10.5, I'm use to my duc and it's redline is 10.5 and the rev limiter works very well on that beast, it has a mechanical that's right a mechanical tach that runs off of one of the cam gears so there's no cheating it. And when you hit 10.5 it shuts down until you back off.

Personally I'm not too sure about shifting right before the fuel cutoff (and I could be wrong).  The horse power peaks sooner and I have heard shifting at 10 or 10.5 is the best.
This has been proven at the track!

The higher you shift the more MPH you will have and the quicker your ET.  That is if you don't hit the limiter.

Remember just before cut off.....

As for the gearing this shouldn't affect you as much from a 100 MPH role.  As long as you're in the right gear and you get the jump he ain't coming by if it's a "true" stock 12.

The only time this would hurt you is if you said 2nd gear or 4th gear and then hit it from that speed.  He would get to his sweet spot quicker and would put a bike length or two on you then.  Even then, once you hit around 160 you should be coming hard and freight train right back by!

Josh
blues.gif

<!--EDIT|Got-Busa?
Reason for Edit: None given...|1075274295 -->

Street racers don't know how to tell the truth!

I am the most honest person you could wanna meet.
BUT,
Don't be fooled by looks OR someone's opinion of "stock"
This stock looking bike made 266 HP.

DSC01834.JPG

Personally I'm not too sure about shifting right before the fuel cutoff (and I could be wrong).  The horse power peaks sooner and I have heard shifting at 10 or 10.5 is the best.
This has been proven at the track!

The higher you shift the more MPH you will have and the quicker your ET.  That is if you don't hit the limiter.

Remember just before cut off.....

As for the gearing this shouldn't affect you as much from a 100 MPH role.  As long as you're in the right gear and you get the jump he ain't coming by if it's a "true" stock 12.

The only time this would hurt you is if you said 2nd gear or 4th gear and then hit it from that speed.  He would get to his sweet spot quicker and would put a bike length or two on you then.  Even then, once you hit around 160 you should be coming hard and freight train right back by!

Josh
blues.gif
Thank you for the info Got-Busa!

Always looking to be educated.

I thought I read the shift at 10 or 10.5 thing in the 1/4 mile forum.

I've been wrong before.

You will do fine just some practice. Sounds like the RPMs use them. I have a stock Busa to wear him down a bit for you. I promise it is stock REALLY.
wow.gif

Street racers don't know how to tell the truth!

I am the most honest person you could wanna meet.
BUT,
Don't be fooled by looks OR someone's opinion of "stock"
This stock looking bike made 266 HP.
SLEEPER,

You are the MAN!
super.gif

That is why I can't decide on a Turbo or Motor work. You can't exactly hide a TURBO! Plus I don't think I will get many races with the Turbo?
rock.gif
?

"What it's all STOCK, the Turbo came with the Special Edition!"

"What you didn't get one with yours?"
jump9.gif

super,
Big motor, lots of nitrous and a hollowed our stock header(made it flow better)
tounge.gif

GOT,
I ain't the Man. I just kept throwing money at it till I got what I wanted, THEN I melted a piston!
cussing.gif
cussing.gif

That thing was fast as hell!
It bumped the front tire up a couple of inches at EVERY gear change!

MY turbo is gonna be hidden, or atleast VERY difficult to see!
I traded the innercooler for a water injection system and I'm gonna go thru the same exhaust that is in the picture above. You ain't gonna know that I have boost till it's too late!
wow.gif

Fortunately,
JohnnyCheese has been VERY patient with me.
beerchug.gif

cussing.gif

I don't think your riding style had anything to do with it...You were conned...If your going to street race you better get your shat together...I'm stock I just like the look of the dump pipe...That 12 should not have pulled you like that...Back to the garage for you...
evil.gif

Thanks for the input, I think my next mod are going to be wheels, I'm like the twisties far more than straight line racing, any suggestions on wheels, I have Marchacinies on my duc(I know I jacked up the spelling on this one) five spokes it shaved about 8lbs from the front and 10 from the rear and it felt as though I had a new bike.

Okay racing boys and girls....

I'm new to this high speed stuff.....(I've only had my busa to 140). A few quick stupid newbie questions...

can you still be in 3rd or 4th gear at those high speeds?

What is spraying? (is that a term for Nitrous)

Okay I am an idiot please help....

Okay racing boys and girls....

I'm new to this high speed stuff.....(I've only had my busa to 140).   A few quick stupid newbie questions...

can  you still be in 3rd or 4th gear at those high speeds?

What is spraying?  (is that a term for Nitrous)

Okay I am an idiot please help....
Those are good questions.

As long as the tach needle says you are under the "red line", you are ok.
It's very difficult to hurt a Busa motor, or any "modern day" sport bike, for that matter.
Small 4 cylinder motors are made to make their peak power at high RPMs, so the closer to red line, the more power you are making.
(This is a general statement). It doesn't always apply!

YES, Spray is another term for nitrous.

babuski,

See link for max speeds in each gear with stock gearing.

Also you aren't cruising at those speeds in a low gear are you? Unless you are racing I wouldn't maintain a high speed in a low gear. Always keep shifting until you are in 6th when cruising for long periods of time.

What I mean is don't cruise at 135 MPH in third gear all the time. Your RPM's will be close to RED line and not good for the engine just cruising along.

SPRAY = Another meaning for hitting the giggle gas or go juice!

Josh
blues.gif

Thanks for the input, I think my next mod are going to be wheels, I'm like the twisties far more than straight line racing, any suggestions on wheels, I have Marchacinies on my duc(I know I jacked up the spelling on this one) five spokes it shaved about 8lbs from the front and 10 from the rear and it felt as though I had a new bike.
If I were you...My nest mod would be regearing...The most popular is 16/42 for a stock Busa...Then I'ld going looking for the 12...
evil.gif

Back