What does the 600 mile Service Consist of?

Yes the fairings are a pain in the rear to take off. Took both sides off for the first time last night. I am a Auto. Tech of 18 years and was pretty unhappy with the amount of care and plastic clips and some bolts hidden through out. 1 1/2 hours just to take them off!!! All this to do the oil change and to install a full system. After the oil change and full system install, I am not looking forward to putting it back together. I have worked on and own quite a few bikes, but this one has been the hardest yet. My 02 1k gsxr easy!!! 5 minutes and you are there to perform your oil change!!!!

The first few times you wrestle the ride-side cowling removal, you may feel like re-evaluating this change interval policy.  
winkold.gif
Dear Warchild

Are you serious? Is it difficult on an '08?

I plan to have my father-in-law help me change the oil and filter in his fancy shop. He's very mechanically inclined, but he has a short temper. When he couldn't pick up the bike with the rear stand all by himself after telling me I'd never be able to do it by myself, he exclaimed right in front of me, "I wouldn't have this ******* thing. I'd take it all back!"

I used to change my '88 Ninja 600's oil by myself. I recall it was pretty easy.

--Jaddie

P.S. I'll have to take some pictures of my father-in-law's shop for y'all. It has two full bays, two floors, a hydraulic lift, air compressor, gas heat, air conditioning, bathroom with a shower, refrigerator, microwave, polyurethane floor, sofa, love seat, fifty-inch plasma television, surround sound, and an HD DVD player. His main interest is classic American hot rods. Here's his '69 Camaro (probably worth more than US$100K, according to Barrett-Jackson). He also has a nice '73 Nova. He also has an '86 SuperGlide. He still hasn't ridden my 'Busa.
NIce car I would love the 73 nova but to answer your Question . After 1000 miles use Amsoil motorcycle 10-40 synthetic !

Yes the fairings are a pain in the rear to take off. Took both sides off for the first time last night. I am a Auto. Tech of 18 years and was pretty unhappy with the amount of care and plastic clips and some bolts hidden through out. 1 1/2 hours just to take them off!!! All this to do the oil change and to install a full system. After the oil change and full system install, I am not looking forward to putting it back together. I have worked on and own quite a few bikes, but this one has been the hardest yet. My 02 1k gsxr easy!!! 5 minutes and you are there to perform your oil change!!!!
i had all my plastics off to do my swingarm and other mods.... and after putting them back on the dashboard and surrounding pieces seem to look a bit odd... a little gap here and there... is this normal, or do I just have to keep screwing with them to get them to be perfect?

As for the service, my dealership (North Jax Motorsports, Jacksonville, FL) has a "gas and go" plan that I bought with the bike.... $900 for 3 years of unlimited full service visits... every 4K miles after the inital 600 service. I've already had it in twice and am just around the corner from the 8K service... since I ride a lot, I feel I'll get my money worth out of it. I bought it since I don't have a garage any longer and it is much more difficult to do work on my bike.

I think it would be a good ideal to do the 600 mile service at the shop just because there are a lot of changes and new stuff on the "08"￾ and there is no history on the bike since they have not been out that long. And if you do have a problem after the 600 miles and you did not have your service done at the shop Suzuki may not fix the problem because that might void the warranty if you don't have it done at the shop"¦.

Just something to think about"¦"¦.

I think it would be a good ideal to do the 600 mile service at the shop just because there are a lot of changes and new stuff on the "08"￾ and there is no history on the bike since they have not been out that long. And if you do have a problem after the 600 miles and you did not have your service done at the shop Suzuki may not fix the problem because that might void the warranty if you don't have it done at the shop"¦.

Just something to think about"¦"¦.

I know this topic has got to be old by now... but I just bought my '08 Org/Blk Busa and just joined this forum (first post!).  After searching for the last hour, this appeared to be the most recent thread on the topic...

My stealership (ASK of Grove City, OH) handed me a paper with my other docs that said it was approx. $200 for oil change only! (rip-off)  But what I'm most concerned with, is the rest of the note refers to the "REQUIRED" valve-adjustment at the 600 mile first-service.  Is this truly something that must be done, and if so, is $450 a fair price for it?  I've rebuilt car motors, and if I had a manual could probably handle it if I need to...

Thanks all!

I know this topic has got to be old by now... but I just bought my '08 Org/Blk Busa and just joined this forum (first post!). After searching for the last hour, this appeared to be the most recent thread on the topic...

My stealership (ASK of Grove City, OH) handed me a paper with my other docs that said it was approx. $200 for oil change only! (rip-off) But what I'm most concerned with, is the rest of the note refers to the "REQUIRED" valve-adjustment at the 600 mile first-service. Is this truly something that must be done, and if so, is $450 a fair price for it? I've rebuilt car motors, and if I had a manual could probably handle it if I need to...

Thanks all!
You need to find another dealership, since this one appears to have business ethics issues.
thumb_down.gif

There is NO valve adjustment called for on the K8 whatsoever at 600 miles.
banghead.gif

What your dealership might be thinking of (trying to give them the benefit of the doubt for the moment) is that the K8 Service Manual DOES call for a Throttle Body Synch at the 600-mile Service, BUT ONLY if you're a California model K8. The 49-state K8's do NOT call for a TBS at 600 miles.

Regardless, if your stealership is actually trying to sell you a valve adjustment job at 600 miles, smile and tell them to have a nice day as you leave.

Yes it costs a lot more and not as intimate as doing it myself, but as long as my bike/cars are under warranty, I always only let the stealership do all the maintenance. Although it's dead now (my wife killed it), I had taken my Miata to a couple of those quicky oil change places to save some time and one of them stripped the oil pan (too much torque putting the bolt back in). I had no proof of who messed it up, and Mazda stated "Sorry, we did'nt do it so your warranty is toast". So ALL my vehicles go back to stealerships until warranty expires - that way if anything gets messed up it had to be them that did it. But the wallet does take a good beating
spank.gif

I know this topic has got to be old by now... but I just bought my '08 Org/Blk Busa and just joined this forum (first post!).  After searching for the last hour, this appeared to be the most recent thread on the topic...

My stealership (ASK of Grove City, OH) handed me a paper with my other docs that said it was approx. $200 for oil change only! (rip-off)  But what I'm most concerned with, is the rest of the note refers to the "REQUIRED" valve-adjustment at the 600 mile first-service.  Is this truly something that must be done, and if so, is $450 a fair price for it?  I've rebuilt car motors, and if I had a manual could probably handle it if I need to...

Thanks all!
change the oil, check the chain, tighten up all screws and bolts,check the fluid and then ride it like it should be and don't worry about anything else for a long time.

Yes it costs a lot more and not as intimate as doing it myself, but as long as my bike/cars are under warranty, I always only let the stealership do all the maintenance.  Although it's dead now (my wife killed it), I had taken my Miata to a couple of those quicky oil change places to save some time and one of them stripped the oil pan (too much torque putting the bolt back in).  I had no proof of who messed it up, and Mazda stated "Sorry, we did'nt do it so your warranty is toast".  So ALL my vehicles go back to stealerships until warranty expires - that way if anything gets messed up it had to be them that did it.  But the wallet does take a good beating
spank.gif
I do all my own maintenance, bike and car, and keep precise records with receipts. Anyway a friend came over (manager in a big corp.) and says I just pay to have it done, I said well how do you know what kind of job their doing?  He says; its no big deal to change the oil (auto). Well in the course of the afternoon we changed the oil in both of his really nice cars and both oil pan bolts were stripped big time, one bolt was finger "tight". (we purchaced new ones)
I'm thinking well what if the oil had been slowly dripping out, until wamo -the oil light on dash comes on. Yo - NO oil pressure! I think hes a convert after looking at his two mangled drain bolts.....

Yeah, thanks for the info guys... I'm convinced... no chance I'm going to the dealer for anything unless it requires a tool or computer I don't have and can't get.

Now if I can just find a service manual for an '08 for download...

Look at the pinned topics on the forum page, the last one is the service manual download....

Nice!  So are there a ton of differences between the '08 and earlier models as far as service goes?  Obviously there are with the engine's internal parts, but the rest of the bike?

This site is great... I can't belive I joined yesterday and today someone practically hands me the service manual for my bike!!

Thanks all!

Back