What does the 600 mile Service Consist of?

As far as I can remember, change oil, change oil filter, check brakes, check idle speed, checked levels in resevoirs. May have been more but not sure.

Suppose to be oil, oil filter, fluids, and a good overall check to make sure everythings tight. Oil and Filter
laugh.gif

oil and oil filter change, check fluids, adjust the chain and 300 dollar bill!!!
wowold.gif

do it yourself and keep the money buy accessories.

Oil change w/filter, adjust chain, replace left side plastic, mirror, bar end and rearset. Standard proceedure!
guns.gif

super.gif
AM -->
slimslates @ Mar. 12 2008 said:
1332744[/ATTACH] AM]
As far as I can remember, change oil, change oil filter, check brakes, check idle speed, checked levels in resevoirs.  May have been more but not sure.
Basically that service is just a $100-300 oil change!
yab... your bike sit in dealer for 2 days and all they do is oil change and later on when you go home you notice you are missing the screw to the fairing
wowold.gif
wowold.gif
!!

super.gif

wowold.gif

Basically that service is just a $100-300 oil change!
Well, it is if that is indeed all your dealer does.

However, to do it right (i.e.: Service Manual), there is a fair number of items to look after.

There are 34 different fasteners to look at/torque as needed. Exhaust line fasteners are specifically called out. They are supposed to inspect the chain and adjust as necessary. Also supposed to inspect steering components, brake system, throttle cable play.

California models are supposed to have their throttle body synchronization checked.... this is NOT a trivial exercise on the K8, BTW.

Admittedly, I don't think many dealers do the full-blown deal here. Some of the more conscientious dealers, maybe. If it's important to you, the only way to really ensure the full 600-mile Service is done by the book is to do it yourself.

Which I highly recommend.... it helps you become "One with your Busa".
cool.gif

Naaaa, you get an oil change, chain inspection,a 20 yr. old thrashing your baby for a mile down the local strip, and a hefty bill. Save the cash and get to know your girl intimatly, It's a great experience!

California models are supposed to have their throttle body synchronization checked.... this is NOT a trivial exercise on the K8, BTW.
Do you mean this is necessary?? I did my own service but as far as I know I need a special computer (SDS tool pg.235 in the adobe manual) and did not get to it.

Do you mean this is necessary?? I did my own service but as far as I know I need a special computer (SDS tool pg.235 in the adobe manual) and did not get to it.
Is it *necessary*?
dunno.gif
You got me; I don't have the California model. I am guessing it probably is not from a practical perspective.

And, like I say, this is not a simple connect-4-vacuum-lines-and-synch-mercury-levels operation on the K8.... it's a detailed 18-step procedure using a very expensive electronic diagnostic tool (the "SDS" tool, which is basically a laptop computer with vacuum lines). You have to use this tool to do a proper TBS on the K8, because it interacts with the various electronic sensors/modules on the bike to allow for a proper TBS.

The days of manually synching up 4 mercury stick levels are over.... the price we pay for advanced electronic engine management.

Dear Paul

My '08 'Busa is in the shop for its 600-mile service as I write this. The bill is going to be right at US$145. I was told that there'd be an oil and filter change, checking the torque on a lot of fasteners, and checking the chain tension.

I didn't know whether to try this myself or not, but I figured I'd save myself some time and aggravation by just letting the dealer do it. Plus, I'll have a dealer service record to show a future purchaser of my bike.

In the future I plan to do all the oil and filter changes myself. In fact, even though the manual doesn't call for it, I'm going to change my oil and filter at the 1000-mile mark.

The next question is, which oil is best?

--Jaddie

I always do the 600 myself. First, it's not that hard, Second, it's a great way to get to know your bike. Third, I save the receipts (OEM filter) and my dealers says A-OK! Nothing could be better!

The first few times you wrestle the ride-side cowling removal, you may feel like re-evaluating this change interval policy.  
winkold.gif
Dear Warchild

Are you serious? Is it difficult on an '08?

I plan to have my father-in-law help me change the oil and filter in his fancy shop. He's very mechanically inclined, but he has a short temper. When he couldn't pick up the bike with the rear stand all by himself after telling me I'd never be able to do it by myself, he exclaimed right in front of me, "I wouldn't have this ******* thing. I'd take it all back!"

I used to change my '88 Ninja 600's oil by myself. I recall it was pretty easy.

--Jaddie

P.S. I'll have to take some pictures of my father-in-law's shop for y'all. It has two full bays, two floors, a hydraulic lift, air compressor, gas heat, air conditioning, bathroom with a shower, refrigerator, microwave, polyurethane floor, sofa, love seat, fifty-inch plasma television, surround sound, and an HD DVD player. His main interest is classic American hot rods. Here's his '69 Camaro (probably worth more than US$100K, according to Barrett-Jackson). He also has a nice '73 Nova. He also has an '86 SuperGlide. He still hasn't ridden my 'Busa.

donalds_camaro.jpg

Back