What do you know about hawaii?

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
Hello fellow board members.  I have finally taken the steps to take my wife on her dream vacation - Hawaii.  But I have never been there before.  We plan on going sometime in September although we are still flexible somewhat.

I need help from those of you who know.
-Is September a good time (hotel rates, weather, etc.)?
-What Island would you recommend staying at (Maui, Oahu)?
-What places are must see (Arizona, Diamond Head, etc.)?
-What places to avoid (tourist traps)?
-Any additional would be greatly appreciated.

I promise I will take pics to post for the board (Something to look forward to - my wife is hot).

This board is amazing. My wife and I are also going to Ireland this year to visit her brother and maybe hook up with BUSA 24/7 while I'm there.

<!--EDIT|Over_Easy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149628442 -->

diamond head is sweet just try running up it lol,
north shore has got some nice beaches, take her to turtle beach. hanama bay is awesome , saw some 40 -50 waves there during a surf competition. Do one of the luaus that leave form a hotel, always get the vip seats about $100 each but free drinks all night long , better seating, better food.I drank at least $500 worth of alcohol if I actually had to pay, It was called the Paradise cove luau , kick ass show.

+1 to what DrBoom above said...that is if you are coming to Oahu. Guys who have been to Hawaii several times now shun Oahu (too crowded/urbanzied) and prefer the other islands. I have not been to the other islands so cannot comment on those. My ship is homeported in Pearl Harbor and IMHO, Oahu is still a very good place to visit.

Also had my first luau @ Paradise Cove. Another good one is the Polynesian Cultural Center. On your way to the North Shore, drop by the DOLE Plantation.

Near the ARIZONA Memorial is the USS Missouri and USS Bowfin (submarine). Across is the STADIUM Swapmeet (SAT & WED), good place to get souvenirs, nuts, clothes (sarong, pareo for the wife). Try to get to the top of TANTALUS POINT (one of the highest points in Oahu).

Best thing to do and get a copy of "Franko's Guide Map of Oahu & Waikiki"....then hit the spots that you and wife will enjoy.

1931494703.01.BACK._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpe

other side shows map of downtown Waikiki (chockful of ONE WAY only streets)....very nice to have

<!--EDIT|kromdom
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149664451 -->

1931494703.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpe

Watch for RSD's up coming posts,,, he's leaving for Hawaii in three days!!! Im sure there wil be a lot of info when he gets back!!!

Sorry to keep you waiting, OE.

Hawaii is actually about 6 hours northeast of me. Can't say that I know too much of where to go over there.

Thanks DocBoom, Kromdom, GIXRHP and PAC-BUSA. I greatly appreciate the input and I'll shoot a PM over to RSD to see how his Hawaiian adventure goes.

If anyone else has info. please let me know. Thanks everyone.

My bad PAC, I was under the assumption you were in Hawaiian Islands for some reason. I thought the baptism pictures you had posted awhile back were in Hawaii. 6 hours away huh? Is that by plane or Busa? Same thing I guess.
biggrin.gif

September is a great time to go, not to crowded at that time.
If you go to Oahu you need to see pearl harbour.
Other than that I personally don't like that island to crowded.
What do you like to do?
Kauai I think is the most peaceful and laid back island. Many nice beaches and some great hiking.
Maui is also nice, a litlle more crowded but they have Haleakala volcano which is really cool. Some great hiking at the top but it is at 10,000 ft.
Hawaii is also cool with the volcano national park.

For lodging I always stay at bed and breakfast homes. Cheaper than the big resorts and more personable.

I am going to Kauai in August with my wife and 3 kids. We are renting a 2 bedroom cottage for about $125 a night that includes tax. It's about a 5 minute drive to the beaches.
I've been to Hawaii about 10 times now and I try and go every 2~3 years.
I hope this helps. PM me if you have any questions

What do you like to do?
Kauai I think is the most peaceful and laid back island. Many nice beaches and some great hiking.
Maui is also nice, a litlle more crowded but they have Haleakala volcano which is really cool. Some great hiking at the top but it is at 10,000 ft.

For lodging I always stay at bed and breakfast homes. Cheaper than the big resorts and more personable.

I am going to Kauai in August with my wife and 3 kids. We are renting a 2 bedroom cottage for about $125 a night that includes tax. It's about a 5 minute drive to the beaches.
Thanks. PM sent.

If you are going to Oahu and want a quiet place away from all the people at Waikiki...than stay at the Kahala Resort. I stayed out there in the late 90's. It was spectacular. I was a bit pricey, I think. The US govn't covered the bill, so I never actually saw it.

Here's a link Kahala

Hope this helps..

What do you like to do?

Ditto.

Also I have lived there most of my life and know allmost every island, beach, surf spot, some night spots and retaurants ...

Like Aljamy said it really depends on what you want to do. Night life & pre arranged tourist stuff can be a blast, so I would say Oahu, Honolulu or Maui. If you want more hiking and senery then Kauai or the Big island of Hawaii.

Hawaii is an awesome place, fun, beautiful ... As with any place in the world even Hawaii, keep your wits about you. Dont park the car on a remote dirt road all alone as you hike to some remote beach or walk down any dark side streets in Waikiki.

In Sept you'll probly not get to see the giant waves that normally start around Nov. But there will still be some great beach time. It will still have the summer, humid heat. Cools off a little about Oct-Feb. I suggest making a list of what you want to do. Oahu is probly one of the most beautiful islands but is way too crowded for me. The Big Island is great and the Volcano national park is awesome and plan on a full day there if you go. Kauai has some of the best beaches but I am partial because of the awesome surf there.

If you go to the Big island take saddle road accross the middle thats my old busa play ground and go to the Maunakea astronomical visitor center ( also know as the Elison Onizuka Center ) just before dark and hang around until they roll out the telescopes. Take a jacket though, brrrrr at night.

Go to http://www.hawaii.com/ for more suggestions.

This is Hilo, on a rare sunny day

Hawaii_Jan06_010b.jpg

There's also quite a few bikes there and Oahu is traffic city ( for that matter so is Kauai and Maui in the afternoon rush hr.

Hawaii_Jan06_181b.jpg

WooHoo welcome to da island Brahdah. Have fun, hope u can stay at least a week.
cool.gif

Hawaii_Jan06_169b.jpg

Thanks DocBoom, Kromdom, GIXRHP and PAC-BUSA.  I greatly appreciate the input and I'll shoot a PM over to RSD to see how his Hawaiian adventure goes.

If anyone else has info. please let me know.  Thanks everyone.

My bad PAC, I was under the assumption you were in Hawaiian Islands for some reason.  I thought the baptism pictures you had posted awhile back were in Hawaii.  6 hours away huh?  Is that by plane or Busa?  Same thing I guess.  
biggrin.gif
Nah...no worries. Alot of people have thought the same...

The islands do look similar, though.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

If you are going to Oahu and want a quiet place away from all the people at Waikiki...than stay at the Kahala Resort.  I stayed out there in the late 90's.  It was spectacular.  I was a bit pricey,  I think.  The US govn't covered the bill, so I never actually saw it.

Here's a link  Kahala

Hope this helps..
A bit pricey, huh? You think? $400+ per night minimum all the way up to $1800.00 per night. So that's where all our tax money goes to...government travel expenses.

Back