What coolant to use?

Narcissus

Hayabusa Immortal
Registered
I've searched on this, but can't seem to find the best stuff. Evans? Water wetter? Engine Ice? 1:2 WW & EI? ???

While I'm at it, where's a good place to order this stuff?

BTW, went on a long, high-speed run the other weekend and noticed over-heating and overflow when I stopped. I realized it's been a while since I've flushed the system, so it's probably not mixed right anymore. Running stock engine.

Try the water wetter. I have engine ice and it is pricey and not sure if the benefits outweigh the cost versus water wetter....and you cannot mix with Engine Ice

Engine ice is nothing more than propylene glycol (pet friendly antifreeze) regardless, use a 50/50 mix of what ever you use.. (distilled or RO/DI water, not RO water) I have RO/DI because of my marine tanks.. Propylene glycol does have a higher operating range the ethylene glycol (regular coolant)

What I would like to know is what are guys doing about cleaning radiators? ultrasonic? just pitching them and buying new? I see a good many issues with bikes starting to heat that are 4 or 5 years old.. gotta guess the radiators clog just like a car..

Last edited:
I've searched on this, but can't seem to find the best stuff. Evans? Water wetter? Engine Ice? 1:2 WW & EI? ???

While I'm at it, where's a good place to order this stuff?

BTW, went on a long, high-speed run the other weekend and noticed over-heating and overflow when I stopped. I realized it's been a while since I've flushed the system, so it's probably not mixed right anymore. Running stock engine.

Water Wetter is all you need for cooling, but it offers no freezing protection.

I know we live in Texas and normally I would tell you to use Water Wetter but being that we are coming up on the our so called winter monthsand you live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area it might just be better to use engine ice so in case we get a nice little cold snap and things start to freeze your radiator will not get busted. But in the spring, summer and fall water wetter is good stuff. Just my 2 cents bro

I know we live in Texas and normally I would tell you to use Water Wetter but being that we are coming up on the our so called winter monthsand you live in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area it might just be better to use engine ice so in case we get a nice little cold snap and things start to freeze your radiator will not get busted. But in the spring, summer and fall water wetter is good stuff. Just my 2 cents bro

You can use coolant with Water Wetter :thumbsup:

What I would like to know is what are guys doing about cleaning radiators? ultrasonic?

What are you doing Sir share the Knowledge normally I just flush mine with distilled water really good and then just refill but if you have a better way like I said share the knowledge. :beerchug::beerchug:

BMW blue stuff! It's phosphate and nitrate free, so it's OK with aluminum as well as cast-iron, plastic, etc. If I can't get that, Engine Ice, and last, but certainly not least, Zerex and Water-Wetter.

For cleaning and maintenance, this is the routine that I suggest: every 3 years take the radiator to a radiator shop for a boiling out and a pressure test. Replace your thermostat and hoses at the same time. Pull the water pump and replace the seal and O-ring, and take a good look at the impeller. If you have any doubts, compare your old one to a new one. If the impeller veins are looking thin, cupped, or badly pitted, replace it.

There's other ways and methods, but this one has served me well for many years.

Engine Ice here...been using it for over 3 yrs... Very happy with it.

Awesome, thanks for the responses. Not worried about freezing. I'll just store the bike in the living room which gets to 50-60 at the lowest when I'm not home.

:thumbsup:

What are you doing Sir share the Knowledge normally I just flush mine with distilled water really good and then just refill but if you have a better way like I said share the knowledge. :beerchug::beerchug:
even with good coolant/water mixtures, aluminum radiators gunk up with aluminum oxide..

In cars they go for a number of years and finally loose enough efficiency to cause heating problems..

There are "ultrasonic" radiator cleaning systems (immersion) and it knocks this gunk loose to be flushed out..

The catch is, it is often a better option in many cars to just replace the radiator (got pretty cheap on many of them)..

Just did not know the cost of a new radiator on the Busa, or if anyone had success cleaning them.. (the curved design rules out conventional cleaning)

even with good coolant/water mixtures, aluminum radiators gunk up with aluminum oxide..

In cars they go for a number of years and finally loose enough efficiency to cause heating problems..

There are "ultrasonic" radiator cleaning systems (immersion) and it knocks this gunk loose to be flushed out..

The catch is, it is often a better option in many cars to just replace the radiator (got pretty cheap on many of them)..

Just did not know the cost of a new radiator on the Busa, or if anyone had success cleaning them.. (the curved design rules out conventional cleaning)

What ??? you never used any Pencool ??? I've seen etholene glycol test good at 800,000 miles.

New Busa radiators are $$$

The coolant is ok, it is often the electrolysis that occurs that causes the issues...

That's what Pencool is for.When the acid level is up,the stuff kills it.It's what they run in the big rigs until extended life came out.And it has a additive for it also.I've seen radiators last 1,000,000 miles with this stuff in etholene glycol systems.Now that extended life is used,cooling systems parts don't last as long.Too much acid in it.
The stuff was designed to keep liners from pitting and causing major engine problems.Helps the whole system also.Don't here about it in auto or motocycle cause they're not suppose to last over 1,000,000 miles.Been useing it for over 10 years in my gas engines.
Being I have no way to test it.Have to change fluid in the scooters ever so often.[couple years]I just add 2 ounces in that tiny system and don't worry about radiators.
I wonder if they're still making it since extended life came out ???

I'm using engine ice with water wetter. About 6oz of water wetter if I remember right.

Yes, Engine Ice is propylene glycol and it will mix with water wetter.

Back