Need help, coolant type

twotonevert

Member of P.E.A.
Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys, going to do an oil change and coolant flush tomorrow with Demmym, I need to know what kind of coolant to use. Can I use engine ice or water wetter in the coolant? Do I mix 50/50 distilled water with the coolant + engine ice? Does brand of antifreeze make a difference? Keep in mind, going to Hallett in two weeks. Thanks for the help. :beerchug:

Engine Ice straight out of the bottle is what I use. Did the same thing (changed oil and flush coolant) before the Bash and didn't have any problems. Takes about a little over a bottle of Engine Ice once the air is purged.

Engine Ice straight out of the bottle is what I use. Did the same thing (changed oil and flush coolant) before the Bash and didn't have any problems. Takes about a little over a bottle of Engine Ice once the air is purged.

Ken, I want to make sure I understand, you used engine ice only? And how much will she hold? A gallon? More?

I used engine ice straight out of the bottle too, but the bike tends to overheat when running idle for too long, slow moving, traffic, etc. I'll be watching this post to see what others are using and their experience.

There are two kinds of water wetter .
Premix and not premix

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/127074-genii-coolant-change.html

This is what I used and how I did it .
If you do not get premix than mix 50/50 with distilled water but don't mix coolant , water wetter and water all together as you only need one or the other coolant wise .
Supposed to take 2.9 qts but from the bottle you see I got all of one in and that much from second one in .

Not sure what 'hallet' is but if it's a track they most likely will want you to have a
Non-GLYCOL based coolant so you will have to go with water wetter or engine ice.
I got the stuff I used at Cycle Gear local store .

If your not that concerned with seeing nice pink fluid in bottle when your done then don't flush it more than one or two times .
Me , I went the extra time and made sure all green coolant was out before I put in new pink Water wetter.
Make sure after you get it done you open coolant bleeder valve and see coolant come out .
When you crack it loose , just turn it a bit .
Air will either escape out or coolant .
Time consuming process but fairly simple .

Let me know if I can help anymore .

Last edited:
There are two kinds of water wetter .
Premix and not premix

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/127074-genii-coolant-change.html

This is what I used and how I did it .
If you do not get premix than mix 50/50 with distilled water but don't mix coolant , water wetter and water all together as you only need one or the other coolant wise .
Supposed to take 2.9 qts but from the bottle you see I got all of one in and that much from second one in .

Not sure what 'hallet' is but if it's a track they most likely will want you to have a
Non-GLYCOL based coolant so you will have to go with water wetter or engine ice.
I got the stuff I used at Cycle Gear local store .

If your not that concerned with seeing nice pink fluid in bottle when your done then don't flush it more than one or two times .
Me , I went the extra time and made sure all green coolant was out before I put in new pink Water wetter.
Make sure after you get it done you open coolant bleeder valve and see coolant come out .
When you crack it loose , just turn it a bit .
Air will either escape out or coolant .
Time consuming process but fairly simple .

Let me know if I can help anymore .

Thanks bro, but I have a Gen 1, shouldnt be much of a difference is there? And I want to see pink! I will take a look and see what I can find. 2.9 quarts is all?

Take a look at the manual's linked to the .org. It will give you the capacity and instructions on how to change out the fluid. Down here in the south they use water wetter (I got mine premixed so didn't have to cut w/water. Flush with distilled only as Blanca suggests (I did same/same).

However, remember, Water wetter provides ZERO freeze protection (depending on where your bike is stored in the wintertime that can be important..); some suggest NOT to flush completely, as that means there will still be a little antifreeze protection remaining in the unflushed OEM coolant.....I don't know if Engine Ice has any antifreeze in it or not (some tracks won't allow engine ice - i think -) so always good to check with track or look online...

Thanks bro, but I have a Gen 1, shouldnt be much of a difference is there? And I want to see pink! I will take a look and see what I can find. 2.9 quarts is all?

Method should be same ? But quantities you will need to check. 2.9 is all GenII is supposed to take.
You can see from 2nd bottle I have I got almost that in. Each bottle is 2 qts.
So I got all of one and about half of ther other in there.
Just leave you fairing off for a day or two. Ride it and check it.
I made mistake of after two cycles thinking I was done and put fairing back on.
Next day after a ride overflow bottle was low and I had to take it off again to top it off.

If you want to see pink than get some distilled water and white distilled vinegar and flush it baby flush it.
Drain it, fill it, run it , let it run, fans come on, turn it off, let it cool, drain it, fill it, run it, let it run, fans come on, turn it off, let it cool, ALL OVER AGAIN at least three times it took for me to get clean stuff coming out.
Then one final flush to make Saiids mind happy, drained it and filled with nice pink cool juice !
I have not noticed any real diff in temps. Just that in traffic the temp gauge sits maybe about 3 hairs width lower than before. How much that is I dont know but it aint much.

Last edited:
I changed to engine ice the first time. I did not notice cooler running engine and any better cooling from sitting in traffic.

When I changed the second time I went to Water Wetter. I had the same effects.

So at around $20 a bottle for Engine Ice and the Busa takes over 1 bottle, I will stick with water wetter and distilled water for about $9 for the wetter (treats 3-4 gallons) and a couple dollars for a few gallons of distilled water.

both a good...one just cost more:thumbsup:

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know an easy way to add coolant to the Gen1? I checked the manual and search here to no avail...thanks

I changed to engine ice the first time. I did not notice cooler running engine and any better cooling from sitting in traffic.

So at around $20 a bottle for Engine Ice and the Busa takes over 1 bottle, I will stick with water wetter and distilled water for about $9 for the wetter (treats 3-4 gallons) and a couple dollars for a few gallons of distilled water.

Most likely the best way to go.
I was new to the whole thing so I wanted to make sure it was correct % of both water and wetter. Buying the premix just worked for me cuz it was on sale and it worked. Buy one get one free is what it was.
I had no need for it at all but it was last thing needed to make Blanca track/LSR ready so I did it.

This the bike you are taking ot the track? If so, water wetter. Follow the instructions on the bottle.

PM sent.

Ken, I want to make sure I understand, you used engine ice only? And how much will she hold? A gallon? More?

Engine Ice only is correct, James. Don't have the container in front of me, but it held a complete container (guessing a gallon) and a portion of a second container. That included purging the air and ensuring the overflow bottle was about halfway between low and full.

I just wanna get one thing straight here.
Engine Ice has a higher boiling point than other coolants.
I think that's the big reason why people are using it.

You should get dual fans (both w/ Muzzy blades), a highpressure rad. cap, a lower temp t-stat, and engine ice if you're really that concerned.

My .02,based on this past year.
I used redline water wetter for an LSR event.Used the instructions on the bottle. It transformed the cooling system! My needle since has read a solid 1/8 inch below the factory mark. I now have 7,000 miles with this set-up and the needle has never gotten past the half-way mark and the fan takes much longer to kick on.
I have been amazed by the performance.
Have used in the past also with some improvement,but this was mixed with coolant.Not as good as water(distilled).
Only drawback is the worry of freezing up in winter.:beerchug::cheerleader:

Here in Phoenix I run straight Water Wetter. It just gets to hot here in the summer time. This year I am gonna do the dual fan mod with the muzzy blades to help with the summer time heat.

I just wanna get one thing straight here.
Engine Ice has a higher boiling point than other coolants.
I think that's the big reason why people are using it.

You should get dual fans (both w/ Muzzy blades), a highpressure rad. cap, a lower temp t-stat, and engine ice if you're really that concerned.

Hang on guys, not concerned about overheating. It is time to change the coolant and I want to make sure that I use the correct fluids. I like the Water Wetter because it will meet track specs.

Back