Changing Coolant

USARMY

Registered
Ive looked at the radiator and see that there's a large hose running from the bottom. Is that the hose I need to remove to drain the coolant? I also see a hose running off the bottom of the overflow bottle. Can I just remove the hose from the overflow bottle and let it run from there to flush both the bottle and the radiator? So far I've done tires,plugs,brakes.

Now that Ive taught myself how to work on my Busa and see that it doesn't take that long. Unless I absolutely have to take it to Suzuki I'll be doing all the work myself.. Just with the few things I've done in the past few days I've saved several hundred dollars..:thumbsup: :bowdown:

Last edited:
I would take the overflow bottle off,pull small hose off of it drain it..
Then take the bottom hose off the radiator...i think after that i had to take the other hose off to get out what was left in that hose..

The little hose on the overflow will drain the overflow, pull that hose and take the overflow bottle off and clean it. Take the hose off from the left side of the bike from the radiator to the water pump and just let it drain out. After it's all stopped draining out go to WALMART or somewhere and USE a GALLON of DISTILLED ONLY water. Let that drain out until its clear or until the entire gallons gone ( i just use the entire gallon ). I use Prestone 50/50 coolant, its SILICATE free and safe for ALUMINUM.

Thanks Superjustin13,

I heard about the deal with the distilled water abouot a yr ago.. Sounds pretty darn easy Keep the rubber side down and in the wind.

Just a quick reminder while you are draining and flushing your system you should do a once over of all of your hoses for signs of dry rot and unnatural cracking. This really goes overlooked and is much easier and less of a pain to identify while you cooling system is empty.

Might as well switch to Engine Ice while you're doing all of this. Flush with distilled water, buy an extra gallon or two, mix distilled water and Engine Ice, flush and fill!

My Busa used to overheat all the damn time, but since the switch to engine ice, NEVER seen the gauge over halfway.

Might as well switch to Engine Ice while you're doing all of this. Flush with distilled water, buy an extra gallon or two, mix distilled water and Engine Ice, flush and fill!

You don't mix water with Engine Ice. Mix it with water and you reduce it to the point of being practically useless.
READ THE LABEL.. "Pre-Diluted. Do Not Add Water!".

Doh, I'm totally mistaken, I meant WATER WETTER! That's the magic that fixed my overheating, not engine ice. WATER WETTER. :thumbsup:

Back