What caused the tankslapper??

ok you guys can chew through another 5 pages but what I wanna know is how long it took that moto gp guy to get the seat outta his ass after that ride .... he musta chewed a hole as big as china immediately after that one :rofl::rofl:

ok you guys can chew through another 5 pages but what I wanna know is how long it took that moto gp guy to get the seat outta his ass after that ride .... he musta chewed a hole as big as china immediately after that one :rofl::rofl:

You hit the nail on the head with that one :thumbsup:

I bet he had to change his shorts when he dismounted. He was totally out of control and just along for the ride. What saved his ass was having a good setup on his bike.

The bike always wants to go in a straight line. A proper suspension setup allows the bike to do what it was designed to do, settle down and continue to go in a straight line.

Wheelie boy probably only had the stock damper...the racer would have had a good aftermarket unit that was adjusted properly.

Poor suspension settings, or suspension that was not designed for how the bike is being used...was NOT the cause for the tank slapper. Operator error...and the lack of a better damper to slow down the oscillations from the head shake caused the tank slapper.

He set the bike back down and was trying to avoid his buddy who was moving to the right...wheelie boy never had a chance. It went from bad to a disaster in a second or two...suspension problems can start the head shake, but the DAMPER or lack of one is what ups the ante to a 'tank slapper' :whistle:

Friend of mine did the same thing at 100+ getting on the freeway at 3am on his ZX12. No steering dampener at all. I tend to agree with BABUSA about the steering dampener. If he had a stiffer aftermarket dampener he may have avoided the slapper. Going through Death Valley I got airborne at 100sumthin and got a good head shake but stayed on the gas and it smoothed right out so I also agree with give it the gas if you can. No skill here just didn't think to let off the gas. :whistle:

back on the gas hard
++ its only happened to once before and im not the panic type i thought back to what my buddies have told me and laid into it prolly close to full throttle not sure exactly but what it does is pull the weight back off the front wheel so you can gain control again

Back