What caused the tankslapper??

Kat99

Registered
- video moto moto incidenti crash suzuki hayabusa street racing accident speed wobble[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to play vids where I'm at, but I will guess he landed with the front tire off to one side or the other.

Just a guess but when he brought it down it looks like he came down a little off center and locked up the rear in a panic break or when his weight shifted foreward. The bike will slide side to side trying to find center. When he let off the break he was way off center the rear tire suddenly gets traction and off he goes.

Landing it too hard and off center. What caused the crash was not knowing what to to once it started wobbing.

+ 1 back on the gas hard and after the save don't forget to pump the front brakes as the fluid will leave the brake sylinders. not fun comeing up to the next stop light and haveing no front brakes:laugh:

+1 on the hard on the gas, it has saved me from tank slapping woo's a few times...also i decided to stop doing wheelies too:laugh:

:rofl: +1 for bieng a dumb@.. He came down and was to hard on one side of the bars...chain reaction.....Many Tank slappers are a result of bieng heavy on the bars when cracking it open, the weight transfers to the back front gets light and too much uneven pressure in the bars will cause it....

IMO I thought it was funny....but I woke up in the wrong bloody side of the bed:laugh::laugh:

Hard on the gas. Get the weight off the front tire and let the steering stabilizer do its job.

IMO he was doomed when he touched the front tire down with the tire a bit to far off center. That's what started the wobble which quickly hit the stops into a full on tank slapper. From watching the video, it took only a fraction of a second for the wobble to turn into a tank slapper and only slightly over a second from the time the front tire hit the pavement until he was pitched.

First, there was not enough time between tire touch down and the bars hitting the stops for the brain to process the situation much less time to process the info and get WOT. (If he were doing the wheelie properly he should have been at or near WOT when he touched down)

Second, if you have ever had a stop to stop slapper you know there is no physical way you can twist the throttle with the bars slapping the stops that violently.

Third, the time spent from tire touch down until he was airborn was just slightly over one second. When he touched the tire down he was doomed. Nothing he could have done to save himself during that very short amount of time.

IMO he was doomed when he touched the front tire down with the tire a bit to far off center. That's what started the wobble which quickly hit the stops into a full on tank slapper. From watching the video, it took only a fraction of a second for the wobble to turn into a tank slapper and only slightly over a second from the time the front tire hit the pavement until he was pitched.

First, there was not enough time between tire touch down and the bars hitting the stops for the brain to process the situation much less time to process the info and get WOT. (If he were doing the wheelie properly he should have been at or near WOT when he touched down)

Second, if you have ever had a stop to stop slapper you know there is no physical way you can twist the throttle with the bars slapping the stops that violently.

Third, the time spent from tire touch down until he was airborn was just slightly over one second. When he touched the tire down he was doomed. Nothing he could have done to save himself during that very short amount of time.

If you say so. I've been with guys who have recovered from the same situation.

I have...I went into a full on violent tank slapper on the track, all I did was get REAL light on the bars to let it do what it wanted, and brace on the bike and hang on as hard as i could to avoid bieng thrown off, then let gyro effect to its job, the bike will recover and stay up right in most cases....just like a bicycle when it "rides" by itself....most tank slappers get worst from rider inputs....in most cases it happens so quick that whatever you do its either gonna make it worst or you wont have time to do it....but thats my experience...

I haven't had a tankslapper on the Busa but back in the young and dumb days I did this alot rideing wheelies out of corners and landing them crossed up on an old GSXR1100 and you crack the throttle hard and it will straighten up the slap.

If you say so. I've been with guys who have recovered from the same situation.

Well I say so! :poke:

I think you are referring to wobble. To be a slapper the steering has to hit the stops. I doubt seriously if any of your buddies has ever recovered from a slapper by adding throttle? A slapper is violent, nasty, evil and several other derogatory words.

Just like the guy in the video, a slapper puts you on your head before you have time to respond!

Now if your bike is shaking it's head and being hard to deal with, there are steps you can take to avoid it developing into a slapper. But once the bars hit the stops, the fun is over!

The number 1 sure fire way to avoid tankslappers? Don't Do Wheelies!

To survive cavitation wobble: Hard on the gas....Soft on the Brakes
or if your a visual learner like me,
Write 500 times: Go Gas - Brakes Bad!

So, what would have been the best way to get out of it once the wobble started?

Like the others said, grab a handfull of throttle. The guy in the video looks like an inexperienced rider who spends his time riding wheelies on straight roads..

Back