New Gixxer 1000

Suzuki is trying to make a huge deal out of a few styling and minor mechanical changes...? Still no option for ABS or TC. I'm pretty sure they are now the only major manufacturer without at least one of the two between an ABS or TC option for their supersport 1000. With no serious advances in their 1000, I'm not very hopeful about the technological future of the Hayabusa. :banghead:

Lets see what it puts out to the back wheel. 11% weight saving in pistons, different cams, could put it up there in performance.

Looking at the market and competition, it may be too early to introduce a totally new design bike.

I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers :) Brembo fronts, short wheelbase..

So, where can I ride one at? Would love to ring one out (BARBER!)

Although, I'd say "own the racetrack" right now belongs to Honda...Will enjoy seeing the new 'superbike showdowns' and reviews...

I doubt there is a single one of us that can milk the last drop out of a ten year old gixxer yet we whine about the performance available to us in the latest version. All that fancy stuff that attempts to make a machine idiot proof does absolutely nothing to improve operator skills. What it does do is give the operator a false sense of security which usually ends with higher speeds and more violent crashes.

The mighty GIXXER still holds the local track record here. It seems that all the current OEM traction control systems give up corner drive.

If we put as much effort into operator skill as suzuki does into the technology we'd all be having a tire smokin fun filled time whenever we threw a leg over. As Keith Code says, "1980's rider skills combined with the technology found in the current sportbike is not a good combination"! Code says after some 25K+ students through his school he has found that bike technology has advanced in huge steps but the students still have the same issues as they did in the 80's. Riders have not advanced along with technology. Put them on the new BMW with traction control and abs only to find their lap times do not improve.

In my view, don't ask what suzuki can do to make YOU a better rider, ask what YOU can do to make you a better rider! Do you realize golfers spend more time and money on training than does Motorcycle Riders? Yes, they do and it's not required to have an ambulace standing by during training sessions :beerchug:

I doubt there is a single one of us that can milk the last drop out of a ten year old gixxer yet we whine about the performance available to us in the latest version. All that fancy stuff that attempts to make a machine idiot proof does absolutely nothing to improve operator skills. What it does do is give the operator a false sense of security which usually ends with higher speeds and more violent crashes.

The mighty GIXXER still holds the local track record here. It seems that all the current OEM traction control systems give up corner drive.

If we put as much effort into operator skill as suzuki does into the technology we'd all be having a tire smokin fun filled time whenever we threw a leg over. As Keith Code says, "1980's rider skills combined with the technology found in the current sportbike is not a good combination"! Code says after some 25K+ students through his school he has found that bike technology has advanced in huge steps but the students still have the same issues as they did in the 80's. Riders have not advanced along with technology. Put them on the new BMW with traction control and abs only to find their lap times do not improve.

In my view, don't ask what suzuki can do to make YOU a better rider, ask what YOU can do to make you a better rider! Do you realize golfers spend more time and money on training than does Motorcycle Riders? Yes, they do and it's not required to have an ambulace standing by during training sessions :beerchug:

Well, I agree with pretty much everything you said here, but keep in mind that these bikes typically see many more miles on the street with average riders than they do on a track with trained speed racers. Surely you could agree that technology like TC and especially ABS could save lives when it comes to everyday situations on the street and riders without track experience. I'm not arguing that technology is a good substitute for skills, but isn't it worth having if it keeps someone from panic braking into the rear of a semi truck or sailing over a cliff during a high-side. I think both features should be able to be fully turned off at the rider's option, but they should be at least available on the bike. Not to mention that many riders actually want these features in a new bike, and Suzuki probably isn't doing themselves any favors by lagging behind the competition. You can't fix stupid, but occasionally you can help people avoid killing themselves with it. :beerchug:

I have always been impressed with the gixxers and have always like them.I agree, it does have a lot to do with skill and respect for the bike.

Surely you could agree that technology like TC and especially ABS could save lives when it comes to everyday situations on the street and riders without track experience. I'm not arguing that technology is a good substitute for skills, but isn't it worth having if it keeps someone from panic braking into the rear of a semi truck or sailing over a cliff during a high-side.

These same riders who are willing to cough up hard cash for TC & ABS won't spend one dime to improve the software in charge of the controls. TC & ABS is no doubt helpful in keeping the average joe on two wheels but it does nothing to improve throttle and brake control.

One of my regular students (Attorney) who wants to race bought himself a CBR600 with abs. This was his second season and was coming along very well when he pitched his bike on the brakes entering turn one in Portland a couple months ago. On the front brakes hard and has no idea what happened but went from braking hard to kissing the asphalt faster than a cat on a hot tin roof prior to reaching the tip in point. I can tell you from experience that abs brakes are not the save my a$$ sent from heaven that will see me through the tough spots. Neither is TC! Folks still highside themselves with TC in place. Like I said, these gadgets do not take the place of skill but they do give a false sense of security!

It's like learning to fly an airplane with auto pilot, 10K hours with the auto pilot on and still not the skills of the 1K hour pilot who never had Auto Pilot available. Which one would you prefer to fly with? :dunno:

I agree, the only reason people want ABS and TC is because somebody else has it. If one of the manufactures started putting stobe lights in the valve stems, somebody will say Suzuki has to do that to keep up also.

As usual, agree with Tuf on these subjects.

But also agree that it would have been nice had Suzuki offered TC and ABS as options. This would, of course, have required considerable investment on Suzuki's part, investment at a time of very slow motorcycle sales overall. Adding ABS and TC also adds a lot of risk to the manufacturer - new opportunities for lawyers to sue the manufacturer for introducing "dangerous, unproven technology" when people buy the added features and still crash the bike for reasons Tuf explains above.

Bazzaz Performance now offers a Traction Control module Bazzaz.net - Z-Fi TC GSXR1000 09-11 for under $1000 if you really want it. Cycle World did a big shootout of big bore bikes that had the TC. They did a second evaluation of a GSXR1000 (I think) with the Bazzaz TC installed. They were quite positive about the Bazzaz unit.

What one must ask: Is the new GSXR1000 cost competitive with the non-abs/non-TC versions of competitors' bikes? If they are, then things are ok. Otherwise, Suzuki is missing the boat.

Looking at that video again and pausing on the power curve, there are no extra ponies. Only smoothed out the power and torque curves a little.

Would love to know what Suk is thinking, either they are asleep, or these are just tweeks to try and sell a few more bikes, with a king in the near future being developed and tested.

Still no option for ABS or TC.

more gimicks no one needs. put a professional rider on a bike with TC/ABS and make a lap run and then put that same rider on the same bike without TC/ABS and his times will be the same or within .10's of a second either way.

people need to learn to be better riders vs. thinking gimicks like TC/ABS are gonna magically make them a better rider. again, a solution to a problem that never existed.

Not everyone will be a race quality rider or pro. This doesn't make them bad riders it is what it is. But haveing a abs or tc to assist riders in adverse conditions should be a good thing because not everyone is going to have pro level skills. Now I do believe that everyone should constantly strive to be a better rider with or with out these new tech advances.

Also I remember people saying fuel injection was a stupid gimmick and people just needed to learn to tune their carbs correctly and not rely on crap electrics. Who here still prefers carbs?

As far as the new bikes..... Not sure why Suzuki is holding back but I can only hope is cause they have a knock out on the way.. If not I still love what I have.

I was just hoping it would have more power than the BMW... curious to see what kind of power they make.

All the liter bikes already have excessive power for public use. Most folks can't manage the power as is. I'm still on the 07 gixxer and that puppy easily overwhelms the tire either spinning the rear or lifting the front on most corner exits. To much power is the exact reason traction control is being introduced by many manufacturers. We don't see traction control on the smaller 600's or 750's.

:agree: I want ABS and traction control for riding on the street not to hoon it up on the streets and go wild on a track. Since the GSXR 1000 is designed more for track time than long days and nights touring I don't think it needs any of that :laugh:

But I am staying with my sexier looking Gen 1 till I see some ABS,TC and maybe some cruise control on the warbird :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back