What caused the tankslapper??

lessee... (and this is probably the oldest Busa video on youtube and this thread just started? :laugh: )

squid + bike + death grip + no idea what he was doing + way to fast to be learning basic bike control

Looked like the guy never stood a chance of saving that thing.. no where near enough time to process (TufBusa might just know what he is talking about)...

Takes 3/4 of a second to think and even start to react to the situation.. how the heck was he supposed to whack the throttle? Top fueler would not react that quick...

but since no one said it..... 90Wt in the damper fixed everything...... :rofl: Sorry SteveO... had to say it..

Much like yourself, Tufbusa.....I have devoted my complete riding existance (36-odd years+) to the delicate art of one wheel riding (...and i have many a scar for my all-consuming passion, but all those scars are worth it when I do a wheelie better than the last one) !
I too, have done countless wheelies of all types (sit-down; stand-up; one-handers; legs out; etc; etc.) in many & varied road conditions (day-time; nite-time; dry; hot; cold; wet; etc.) and I have experienced (not proud but honest enough to say) many an ungraceful landing ! :whistle:

To put it in a nutshell....This particular tankslapper was caused by a miscommunication between the crasher and his riding buddy (it's right there in the video....watch it again) !
Had his mate not moved over to the right lane on him, he quite possibly would have touched down (where he initially intended to, without an extra obstacle [his mate] besides the concrete wall), had a little head-shake (still being on a slight angle), and ridden on for more fun !!

That being the case, I'm all up for a bit of hooning BUT, what right has the guy behind got, to risk his mates safety !
I've been in that situation riding with clowns that think its funny to fly past there mate at 160kph on the back wheel missing them by 5 inches, as they say its all fun and games till someone loses the use of their spinal cords. Risk your own life and wellbeing, but dont use your un-suspecting mate for target practice. Explain it to the JUDGE. :please:

Last edited by a moderator:
Once had a slapper at circa 150/160 (2001 R1). Was in a straight line and with the front wheel very much in contact with the ground. I managed to make my hand twist the throttle a bit but still don't know how, reckon it was good luck not good management!

Riders who can handle a tank slapper in their stride have surnames like 'Rossi', 'Edwards' and 'Stoner'. IMHO. Probably down to muscle memory ?

Not condoning or condeming wheelies, just when someone is holding a video cam it is not the time or place. :laugh:

Once had a slapper at circa 150/160 (2001 R1). Was in a straight line and with the front wheel very much in contact with the ground. I managed to make my hand twist the throttle a bit but still don't know how, reckon it was good luck not good management!

Riders who can handle a tank slapper in their stride have surnames like 'Rossi', 'Edwards' and 'Stoner'. IMHO. Probably down to muscle memory ?

Not condoning or condeming wheelies, just when someone is holding a video cam it is not the time or place. :laugh:
I think the only really "proven" method of stopping a tank slapper is to "just let go" not much muscle memory there.. I do not think any human alive can muscle a tank slapper into submission...

Oh and tank slapper solution How 2 !! :beerchug::beerchug:

- 8 - Amazing Motorcycle Recovery[/url]

Oh and tank slapper solution How 2 !! :beerchug::beerchug:

[URL="
- 8 - Amazing Motorcycle Recovery[/URL]
that was not a tank slapper... that was technically a "high side" that did not complete.. (should have but Randy is a rider of unreal luck and talant.. )

Tanks slappers are about harmonics... I did find a very good read on this a long time ago... will see if I can find it again...

http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=190 James R Davis..

I have heard otherwise well informed riders give advice to newbies about how to handle a tank-slapper. Usually it goes something like this: 'Just hit the throttle and lift the front-end off the ground. That will stop the oscillation."

Please! That advise is virtually assured of getting you into serious trouble - more than you were in when the tank-slapper began.

You cant stop a tank slapper once it has started by opening the throttle

- [Motorcycle Accident]TT-Tankslapper-19sec[/url]

that was not a tank slapper... that was technically a "high side" that did not complete.. (should have but Randy is a rider of unreal luck and talant.. )

Tanks slappers are about harmonics... I did find a very good read on this a long time ago... will see if I can find it again...

Motorcycle Safety Site James R Davis..

True Mr B but if you could do what he can do problem solved

Please :please: Would somebody just shoot me! :banghead:

A logical explanation where one action/step logically leads to another, and there will be no need to shoot anyone. Anything else simply adds fuel to the fire. The mechanics of a tankslapper are rather simple. There isn't much mystery about it. And for me it's rather fun... I will always consider something that makes logical sense, and I will always reject anything that makes no logical sense.

Oh, there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what a tankslapper is. Some who experienced a headshake get emotional enough to perceive and interpret it as a tankslapper, which of course it is not. An occasional headshake can happen, and if it lasts for at least a couple of seconds, the rider is able to comprehend what's going on. And as many stated, a rider should 1) relax the grip on the bars as the death grip on the bars only transfers the headshake through the rider and to the bike making it worse (shouldn't the grip always be relaxed aside from steering input, right?); 2) stay ON the gas and gently add more gas as this makes the front lighter and thus reduces the force which throws the front back and forth. Taking your hands off the handlebars addresses item 1), but completely neglects item 2) thus fully loading the front and contributing to the force which throws the front back and forth. It's up to you what you want to do. I personally would rather practice a light grip on handlebars and smooth throttle.

Now, if for whatever reason a headshake developed into a tankslapper, it is so violent that THERE IS ABSOLUTLY NOTHING ANY HUMAN CAN DO. It's time to relax and let it go, and roll, and roll, and fly, and hopefully you won't hit anything. Let me relate my personal impression. It's like a giant took you by the collar and shook you a good half a dozen times and threw you out. You won't know where is the land and where is the sky even before you start flying.

Another bloody merry please... :whistle:

Last edited:
A logical explanation where one action/step logically leads to another, and there will be no need to shoot anyone. Anything else simply adds fuel to the fire. The mechanics of a tankslapper are rather simple. There isn't much mystery about it. And for me it's rather fun... I will always consider something that makes logical sense, and I will always reject anything that makes no logical sense.

Another bloody merry please... :whistle:

While it's simply my humble opinion it appears your lack of substance in understanding the relationship between suspension and stability explains your views.

There are two ways to reach for an answer. First, you can set up a questioin to reach your pre-destined answer ( manipulation ), or you can have an open discussion to reach an organic answer ( dialetic ). Which one are you doing?

While it's simply my humble opinion it appears your lack of substance in understanding the relationship between suspension and stability explains your views.

Tufbusa,

Another general statement accusing me of something I never indicated. Let me clarify.

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE IN THE DIRECT LINK BETWEEN SUSPENSION AND STABILITY.

My focus in this thread is on landing a wheelie. In my previous statement I indicated the following.

Quote"""""
Improperly setup suspension will produce more headshake on a properly landed wheelie, and a well setup suspension will produce a lesser initial headshake on a properly landed wheelie. However, the best suspension and the best setup won't save a hard landing with a misaligned front. Steering damper is the only hope here.
Unquote""""

If you disagree with my statement, could you please logically explain why. Please understand that by not giving a logical explanation which makes sense you only confirm that I am on the right track.

Note, I only want to get to the bottom of things. I don't want to be right no matter what.

And, as always, fun has the highest priority... :whistle:

I think you missed the entire boat!

The thread title is "What caused the tank slapper"! The wheelie landing created the head shake. From there it developed into a monster slapper. What made the bike go from head shake to slapper? If you have ideas, I'm happy to listen and learn?

I think we all know landing a wheelie with the tire off center will create head shake. Help us out on how to avoid the slapper once we have headshake. We have two good examples of bikes with headshake. One bike settle down and the other was quickly out of control. What made the difference in these two bikes? How would your bike act in a similar situation?

Really?? So every wheelie=slapper?? Come on!!!! :poke:

HEY! stop trying to start an arguement! Wheelies are evil and you know it. YES! every wheelie turns into a tank slapper:rulez: Just like every knee down turns into a highside!:laugh: Bottom line here is that wheelies should not be performed on a busa!....EVER!!! :whistle:

I think you missed the entire boat!

The thread title is "What caused the tank slapper"! The wheelie landing created the head shake. From there it developed into a monster slapper. What made the bike go from head shake to slapper? If you have ideas, I'm happy to listen and learn?

I think we all know landing a wheelie with the tire off center will create head shake. Help us out on how to avoid the slapper once we have headshake. We have two good examples of bikes with headshake. One bike settle down and the other was quickly out of control. What made the difference in these two bikes? How would your bike act in a similar situation?

That was a very nice and almost to the point response, and I appreciate it. Yes, I have ideas, but I am not trying to "teach" anyone with my "absolute knowldege" which is rather limited, but I am always in a quest to better understand things. Just trying to sort things out in a logical way.

A. Let me make a statement about the objective of suspension which I think we all should agree with no issues - this is to have traction at all times.

B. Let me make a general statement about the objective of fixing the misaligned front wheel (I am purposefully avoiding calling it a headshake or a tankslapper to avoid ambiguity) - this is to have a straightening force of just enough magnitude (let's call it the S-force which is the result of rake and trail) applied to the front wheel so that the front gets aligned. Notice that too big S-force creates such a strong turning momentum for the steering that the front does not stop at the point when it is straight - it's the opposite - at this point, it has the maximum turing speed.

C. When the bike settles down with the front misaligned and the front tire regains traction, the S-force attempts to bring the wheel into an alignment. Let's freeze this point in time and analyze it. If there was no traction at all (for the sake of argument), the S-force would not exist, and on the other hand, the better the traction at this point, the stronger the S-force will be. So, the logical conclusion is that the better suspension you have the greater the S-force will be. And it's feasable to think that the S-force maybe too powerful because of the good suspension. What can reduce the S-force at this point to a more reasonable level? It's the steering damper.

D. OK. Thanks to the S-force, the front wheel was given a turning momentum and it now passes the point of alignment (i.e. when the front wheel is almost straight). According to ideal scenario from item B, it would be nice that the S-force is only strong enough to bring the front straight. Unfortunately, a better suspension would provide a too strong S-force. Thus, a good suspension plays a negative role at this point of time.

E. Now, what can possibly counter act this turning momentum of the front steering, exactly at the point when we need it most - when the front is aligned? Since the wheel is almost straight, no matter what traction the front wheel has (i.e. good or bad suspension), the S-force at this point is almost zero. Well, the answer is almost obvious - the steering damper is the only force trying to keep the front straight.

F. Because of the turning momentum created by the S-force in item D, the steering and the front wheel start swinging away from the aligned position. Let's see what forces try to stop the steering from swinging into a more misaligned position. A good suspension will provide better traction, thus making the S-force (now acting in the opposite direction) to slow down the swing to the other side. Here, a good suspension plays a positive role. Another force which tries to slow down the swing is the steering damper. Unfortunately, even the positive role of the S-force here is reduced by the fact that the S-force is initially zero when the front is straight (and when we want the S-force to be big) and grows as the wheel is more and more misaligned.

G. Such swings of the front wheel - side to side - will only subside when each consequtive swing is reduced at least by a little bit compared to the previous one. There are only two forces involved in this process - traction related S-force, and the force provied by steering damper. The S-force plays a negative role half the time, and the positive role another half the time. A better suspension only increases the S-force. While the steering damper force always works to our advantage.

So, I can only conclude that if a headshake developed, I would not want to rely on my suspension only, but also on a steering damper.

Now, I have to make an important point about a good suspension during normal riding. Since a good suspension would provide a better traction cornering over bumps, when the front is light on strong acceleration out of a turn, etc., a bike with a good suspension will not even go into a headshake where as a bike with poor suspension will. The reasoning is simple - the moment a bike with poor suspension loses traction for just a moment, the steering input from the rider (which is alway present in a turn - although very light), immediately misaligns the front wheel, and when the next moment the traction comes back we got the S-force working again.

During normal riding where the initial misalignment of the front wheel is not excessive, it would seem that a good suspension would prevent a headshake from happening altogether, or if it does happen, the S-forces will bring the front into the alignment.

However, when landing a wheelie, the misalignment of the front wheel combined with hard landing produce the initial S-force of such magnitude that the front wheel swings to the other side even further which in turn creates even more powerful S-force in the opposite direction ultimately causing a tankslapper.

So, it seems both a good suspension and a tight enough steering damper play a role in overall stability. But it seems that a steering damper is more important for landing wheelies.

I think I tried to conduct a logical analysis. I need another bloody merry...

Last edited:
Bottom line here is that wheelies should not be performed on a busa!....EVER!!! :whistle:

Actually the Busa is more stable coming down at mid triple digit speeds than many other sportbikes that I have ridden~!~ :whistle:

Actually the Busa is more stable coming down at mid triple digit speeds than many other sportbikes that I have ridden~!~ :whistle:
EGADS... That triple digit landing can be sketchy... :laugh:

I traced all my issues to "me" I was having some bad mojo at the track when the nose would come off that ground at a 140+ (elevation change on front straight) and the bike was going hard right on lift off and wanted to shake on the landing..

turned out I was hanging on for dear life on the throttle side.. lightened up on the grip.. funny thing.. bike straightened out and no more turns or head shakes.. (TufBusa tuned me up on that problem sight unseen, smartazz)

Back