What 308 Rifle Should I Buy?

OUTLAW1300

Registered
I am looking to buy my first 308 semi-auto rifle but not sure what to get. I have about $1,600 to spend on one. I know most of them will cost a lot more but I don't want to spend more then $1,600-$2,000. I plan on shooting targets at 800 yards or so for fun and maybe some hunting during the winter. My buddy has a AR10 and I don't want to go shooting with him with the same kind of rifle. I want something kinda "different" so what should I buy/build? Suggestions and opinions appreciated. Thanks.

I've only gone out 100 yards but I really like my M1A.

HPIM1430 - Copy.JPG

get set up with cmp and get thier "special" m1's that are 308's and about 900 bucks.

I have the M1A loaded, nice gun, just took the optics off and will use with iron sights only now, this is my dooms day gun, I also shoot my sons AR 10 every now and then, I like it just as much as the M1A. I have a 5.56 M4 which is a good back up vs the M1A. I am looking hard at this new one from Colt though.
Colt

I gave 5.\: 3 F.A.L.'s a PTR-91 and a CETME. I couldn't decide either, so I didn't settle. The PTR was $900 and the most expensive FAL was $1350. The FAL's are easily good to 800 yards. the accuracy of any of thgem is a function of the shooter and not necessarily the rifle. An M1A would be a good choice too, I just don't have one yet.

If you want to shoot @ 800 yards, I'd say get a heavy bolt action 308. Something like "John" had out in Person of Interest last episode. You could do a decent one for your $. Yer bud be burnin up some ammo tryin to get the group you do. Remington, FAL, Savage. Here is one from Google

308.jpg

I have 2 Savage heavy barrel rifles, cant beat the shot groups and trigger (after you get used to the accutrigger) for the $, I would buy this along with an M4 first then add to collection as I went along if I had to start all over again, 12 gauge and 1911 too of course.

For about a grand FN makes a FNAR that is a 308 that looks kind of different. I love my AR10 though, with a good trigger that thing is amazing.

Chris

Back