Weight Loss and Braking

Twobrothersbusa

Team Gixxer Racing; IDMBT #1
Donating Member
Registered
I have been tracking the Busa this year and she proves to be quite the celebrity at the track. (Not many track Busa's for obvious reasons) WIth that said I need to mod the Busa a bit or look for another steed for the track.

Given this past season I know two things. She needs to loose some weight and needs more braking power. So I ask two questions:

1. What is the lightest full exhaust system? (I'm biased to the TB systems of coarse) Power is not the quest here, weight is!

2. What are the best braking mods that can be done to a Gen II? (She has lots of go but needs more whoa!)

The exhaust i dont know but braking if you dont mind spending a ton but for brakes that are superior performing you should look into brembo brake systems. :thumbsup:

Brembo master cylinder, SS lines, and some good pads are really all you need. Maybe some rotors too might add a bit of bite. Beyond that would be race spec stuff IMHO.

M4exhaust.com

I have the M4 full system with titanium midpipe and can. Peals about 30 pounds off the fat girl with looks and sound along with an additional 7 hp.

Charlie, new lines and EBC Extreme Pro pads....I just did this mod.

Get one that was born an bred for a road course 750 or a 1K and mod that one for track use. It's already light and you can make it even lighter.

Having a track bike means your comfy Busa will always be ready for a road trip DOT style :thumbsup:

So many ways to spend money and soo little to go around. I would like a nice track bike, but looking around I find I'll want (notice I didn't say need) to drop about 5 to 7K for a good bike. On a budget I can drop an exhaust and some better brakes on the Big Girl for 2K or so.

Get one that was born an bred for a road course 750 or a 1K and mod that one for track use. It's already light and you can make it even lighter.

Having a track bike means your comfy Busa will always be ready for a road trip DOT style :thumbsup:

I was reading about the EBC Extremes last night. They are in my future. Not sure if changing to the EBC rotors would give me any better bite.

Charlie, new lines and EBC Extreme Pro pads....I just did this mod.

I think as far as the very light exhaust it would be hard to beat one of Brocks shorty systems for weight loss.

To improve you brake system first swap to an adjustable ratio radial m/c. Play with the setting until you get the feel where you want it. After that start playing with different pads. Of course swapping to ss lines should be the first thing.

Ti force with carbon can is extremely light, I have full duals with carbon cans (480mm) and the whole system weighs 14.5 lbs. They also have single systems :thumbsup:

My brocks ct single side weighs in at. Hold on. It's hard to type it without grinning. 8. Yes 8 pounds. It's amazing. I'll send anyone that way. I put Gilles on it, a bmc, and just got a 55 tire, and without a tune yet the bike is off the wall.

Forget saving weight on exhaust etc...

Buy some carbon wheels.... thus reducing rotational unsprung weight...

Recent Bike mag rated them as simply the best $ for $ investment for track riding on any bike..

BST's baby!!

Jza

Forget saving weight on exhaust etc...

Buy some carbon wheels.... thus reducing rotational unsprung weight...

Recent Bike mag rated them as simply the best $ for $ investment for track riding on any bike..

BST's baby!!

Jza

+1

Yep BST's are going to be your best mod for road course/track days. Next would be a lighter tank if you really want to drop weight and then a light battery. Several little things you can do but the wheels and exhaust are your best savings but also the highest cost $$$$...:beerchug:

2. What are the best braking mods that can be done to a Gen II? (She has lots of go but needs more whoa!)

Charlie - brake lines are inexpensive and extremely effective mod. Can send them out whenever you are ready. :)

Galfer Brake Lines, Wave Rotors & Brake Pads: Buy Now | Pashnit Moto

Radial Master Cylinders are another way to boost braking power before you get to rotors.

Accossato Radial Brake & Clutch Master Cylinder: FREE Shipping | Pashnit Moto

image1241_800.jpg

Wave rotors of course are the shizzle. :cheerleader: You said this is a track bike, so step up from Galfer Wave Rotors is Galfer Competition grade SuperBike Rotors.

Buy Galfer Wave Brake Rotors, Motorcycle Rotors | Pashnit Moto

IMG_0133_ekz_h_org.jpg

Brake pads are like trying to discuss oil. Everyone has their favorites. You should at least use a HH Sintered pad for the fronts.

We can provide you both Galfer or EBC.

IMG_0133_ekz_h_org.jpg

image1241_800.jpg

Need to learn more about the radial master cyl. and how that improves braking. Do they come in kits or would you need make your own adding brake reservoir and other pieces?

Brocks ct single, radial master cyclinder, HH pads, steel lines and BST carbon wheels. And the Atkins diet for you :thumbsup:

Ride a busa on the track its a work only for mens with more testosterone than most people!!!

Enjoy and ride your beast not a bicycle with 600cc!!!!!!!!

Regards

So the question is:

$1500 Brocks CT Single
$350 Radial MC - I am sure there is more cost in this than I see now.
$75 HH Pads (Already using them)
$2300 BST Wheels
$800 Galfer Rotors
$100 2 Caliper Rebuild Kits
$ 5125 Total!!!
That is track bike money for sure. I'll have to keep thinking on this. As far as Atkins...I'm 156lbs, not going much off that.

Back