Aftermarket Brakes Worth the $$$$?

goblinsix

Registered
So for the Gen II Busa...how do the stock brakes measure up? I just went with a new set of Carrozzeria wheels and SS Galfer brake lines to improve the unsprung weight and feel. This will help I'm sure. But me question is really "how" important would it be to upgrade to something like a Galfer Wave Rotor or an EBC? Would the difference be that drastic? Would merely upgrading the pads to a more aggressive street compound make a huge difference? I'm just curious at how much of an improvemement that aftermarket brakes will make.

I do intend to track my bike in the Spring, and yes I do ride aggressively on the back twisties---but not stupidly. I ride a lot with am tight group of racers and we do tend to mix it up a bit. I'll leave it at that. I don't want to get into a debate on that. I mentioned it because I do NOT want race pads or brakes on the street because they need to be warm to be effective. On the street race brakes are a no no. So I figue I'll be on the street 90% and track 10% as a distribution.

Regards,
John

I'm curious as well...I found the pads online...the EBC Extremes...I imagine that these would be fine for the street with the stock rotors, right?

Chances are that with a pad that aggressive you may warp the oem rotors. Hopefully someone with first hand knowledge will chime in. I've heard of guys warping oem rotors with ebc hh pads.

Stay with stock rotors and pads when you're not running at the track. Upgraded brake components will improve the feedback, but will do nothing to improve braking on the street. The rotors won't get hot enough on the street to warp any time soon. I used EBC HH pads on stock rotors for a while. It was great not to have brake fade on the track. On the street they are almost too aggressive. My OEM rotors were 4mm out of spec at 11,800 miles. Since I do enjoy taking the Busa to the track I upgraded the rotors to something that will handle the heat cycles better.

Something to think about: If a Ducati 999 can't out-brake a stock 08-09 Busa, why do the brakes NEED to be upgraded? Let's face it. That's pretty impressive for a bike that has a 100 lb disadvantage.

It's only for a different feel, a different look, or to handle more aggressive abuse.

+1. my hayabusa brakes are very good and I have ss lines, wave rotors, radial master, galfer hh pads and reduced weight from ti exhaust and galespeed wheels and my 999R will still out brake it

Where is this from?
Lenny

i went with with galfer wave rotors stock pads and lines and love the brake power. but i am getting the ssline and galfer pads next week so well see ....

+1. my hayabusa brakes are very good and I have ss lines, wave rotors, radial master, galfer hh pads and reduced weight from ti exhaust and galespeed wheels and my 999R will still out brake it

lokks like we have similar stables :thumbsup:

only that I have GenI and a 999, I have the marchesinis, galfer wave roters + HH pads, goodridge lines, the bike is abit better than stock but no way near as good as the 999 in braking,

by the way, has anyone used brembos or ISR's calipers etc? what difference do they make??

I have Galfer wave disk, brake pads and ss lines, its much better but i can pin it down to a single part as i installed them all at once, not really sure about the rotors but get the lines if you want a sharper feel

Good feedback guys....I appreciate all the replies. I am going to stick with the stock units for the street. No need to invest big money for street use.

John

So for the Gen II Busa...how do the stock brakes measure up? I just went with a new set of Carrozzeria wheels and SS Galfer brake lines to improve the unsprung weight and feel. This will help I'm sure. But me question is really "how" important would it be to upgrade to something like a Galfer Wave Rotor or an EBC? Would the difference be that drastic? Would merely upgrading the pads to a more aggressive street compound make a huge difference? I'm just curious at how much of an improvemement that aftermarket brakes will make.

I do intend to track my bike in the Spring, and yes I do ride aggressively on the back twisties---but not stupidly. I ride a lot with am tight group of racers and we do tend to mix it up a bit. I'll leave it at that. I don't want to get into a debate on that. I mentioned it because I do NOT want race pads or brakes on the street because they need to be warm to be effective. On the street race brakes are a no no. So I figue I'll be on the street 90% and track 10% as a distribution.

Regards,
John

yes, a good set of aftermarket upgraded brakes are always worth the money. A set of cheap aftermarket brakes are never worth the money. Simple answer to a simple question.:thumbsup:

I have EBC HH pads all the way around. To me they sound like I have a fly stuck in my helmet. A constant low buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ! Nothing you can't stand and they do make the bike 'feel' like its braking better but I would still like to find a nice aftermarket set of pads that don't hiss or make noise ? ???

I got the HELL Steel Lines from StreetnTrack... Great price, great service... should be getting the carozzeria's as well and also got me Carbone Lorraine SBK5 Brake Pads.. this should be enough for street use and 10% track... On track im there or fun then to really race... But i needed the above mods to feel more comfy stopping in time for the twisties...

By the way I havent installed any of the aboe just yet... waiting for the weather to get worse then my baby'll be in for a makeover!

Back