Waxing chain?

Speed King

Banned
Is it really nessesary to wax your chain after every ride?

After how many miles do people wax there chain?

It seems like I wax my chain too much.

I don't wax mine after every ride. I just try to do it every 500-600 miles or so. Might not be enough but so far so good.

I would pick up every grain of sand in the desert if I waxed after every ride. I lube it up before long trips and around 300ish miles when I stay in the city and just cruise around.

I lube it every 500mi. Just ordered a "Quick Stand" to take with me on long trips. Don't know how it works but it looks pretty trick on the video.

I don't use "wax" per se, but I use Dupont Teflon spray and I usually can tell by the sound the chain makes when it needs lubing. It runs about every 6-8 hundred miles.

I wax mine every 3 to 6 hundred, depending on conditions. I clean it first usually. Have 21000 on the original, 2/3 through the adjustments, replacing it this winter.

Check out the Dupont Multi-Use or Dupont Chain Saver Teflon lubes. Chain stays much cleaner as it's not sticky so dirt doesn't build up and it last a claimed 3-5 times longer than conventional lubes.

Clean with kerosene and coat with Maxima Chain Wax (no fling) every 300 miles. 13,500 miles on original chain and it still looks like new.
I HATE to see rusty/dirty looking chains on bikes! No excuse for it other than laziness, IMHO.

It cant hurt to wax after every ride if you take long rides. I lube my chain once a week with dupont lube. Id say once a week or every 500 miles unless you ride in the rain then yes lubricate after. Dupont lubricant doesnt pick up sand or dirt. Keeps the chain very clean and performs very well. I recommend it personally and theres a lot of long time oRgsters that will also. Spray it on a good amount and let it sit for 15 minutes then wipe the chain lightly once around to get off excess and your good. Sleepless_Red has a model bike you should look at to see exactly how clean dupont keeps your chain...

Back