Watch out who you sell your bike to.

hillbilly

Registered
Had a fellow look at the Busa who really didn't seem right. Really nervous and jittery and was obsessed with going fast. Kept dancing around unable to stop moving and talking. I didn't offer a test ride but we agreed on a price which he was short. He stayed in touch for a couple days then dropped out of sight. Then in the local paper there was news of a high speed motorcycle chase with a fatality. Today a friend of a friend confirmed that the guy that died was in the process of buying a Hayabusa.
Guess I should be glad that it didn't happen on a bike that he had gotten from me.

The Wood Co. Sheriff's Office says 45-year-old Kendrick Leshaun Baker of Parkersburg died Friday night after crashing his 1993 Kawasaki motorcycle in Vienna.

Chief Dep. Shawn Graham says Baker was wanted by Parkersburg Police for driving with a suspended license.

The Sheriff's Office also says Baker was driving wearing a backpack that had marijuana inside.

http://www.thenewscenter.tv/home/headlines/Police-Pursuit-Ends-in-Crash-260485371.html

If I was going to sell my bike - I would want a certified check/money order with my name on it before a test ride was given.

AND maybe even their drivers licenses - that way they might not be to temped to do anything real stupid without their license on them.
When they returned if there was nothing wrong with the bike and they wanted their check back then I would do that.

I have heard of cases too, where someone went for a test ride and never came back.

I'd be calling my insurance company too and checking IF I let someone test ride my bike would it be covered?

As far as him crashing on a bike he got from you - YOU can't control other peoples actions.
If you sell someone a gun you can't know if they will shoot someone, right?
NO you wouldn't want that - but you can't control anyone else.

No way to really verify a certified check on the spot. Plenty of horror stories of sellers depositing checks only to see them come back at the end of the month as a BS check.

first off a certified check/money order don't mean chit! they all have to clear before their worth anything. otherwise they aint worth the paper their printed on. bank check scams hav been goin on for decades! and vehicles are insured not people unless someone has their license insured which means any vehicle they get into and operate is covered.

CASH in full or no test ride and u sign a wavier if u crash you own it! OR give me a bank check and when it clears u can drive it off a cliff for all I care. and I really cudnt giv a chit who buys my bike or what they do with it afterwards. not gonna worry about what some dumb kid is gonna do on the bike I sell it to him. if he crashes or runs from the police thats his problem not mine. he was gonna do that on any bike he bought.

I've seen this scam about 5 times this year alone from idiots who come into our city and try to sell either their quads, dirt bikes or street bikes. they giv them some BS bank check and say "hey hold my keys and my phone while I test ride ur bike" lmao.... they all take off and never come back and the seller is SOL. these all come from crags list scams and several have been shot and killed while robbing ppl for their bikes when the seller catches onto wats goin on.

If I was going to sell my bike - I would want a certified check/money order with my name on it before a test ride was given.

AND maybe even their drivers licenses - that way they might not be to temped to do anything real stupid without their license on them.
When they returned if there was nothing wrong with the bike and they wanted their check back then I would do that.

I have heard of cases too, where someone went for a test ride and never came back.

I'd be calling my insurance company too and checking IF I let someone test ride my bike would it be covered?

As far as him crashing on a bike he got from you - YOU can't control other peoples actions.
If you sell someone a gun you can't know if they will shoot someone, right?
NO you wouldn't want that - but you can't control anyone else.

Handed the guy an envelope of $100's before test riding my Busa. Been making it a point to have a negotiated selling price available before test riding. I'll usually ask before taking a bike out and expect the same.

As far as checking motorcycle license, criminal history, etc, it's not my job. All you can do is ask and recommend.

nobody touches my stuff without cash in hand..waiver is setup before he even shows at my door...

most of the time i sell to close friends, they get a deal and i know im getting paid.. bonus, we add a rider to our group...:laugh:

first off a certified check/money order don't mean chit! they all have to clear before their worth anything. otherwise they aint worth the paper their printed on. bank check scams hav been goin on for decades! and vehicles are insured not people unless someone has their license insured which means any vehicle they get into and operate is covered.

CASH in full or no test ride and u sign a wavier if u crash you own it! OR give me a bank check and when it clears u can drive it off a cliff for all I care. and I really cudnt giv a chit who buys my bike or what they do with it afterwards. not gonna worry about what some dumb kid is gonna do on the bike I sell it to him. if he crashes or runs from the police thats his problem not mine. he was gonna do that on any bike he bought.

I've seen this scam about 5 times this year alone from idiots who come into our city and try to sell either their quads, dirt bikes or street bikes. they giv them some BS bank check and say "hey hold my keys and my phone while I test ride ur bike" lmao.... they all take off and never come back and the seller is SOL. these all come from crags list scams and several have been shot and killed while robbing ppl for their bikes when the seller catches onto wats goin on.

That may be true about the pieces of paper being worthless however, usually money orders have to be paid for, before they will type one up, at least around here.
Yes it could be forged or a fake, but most low life's won't have access to premium equipment to produce a good fake. If you were that worried you could call the bank it was drawn on.
That would mean you have to conduct (schedule) the test ride during bankers hours 9-5.

One of the reasons I would take their drivers license is so if they never came back it should be easier for the cops to track them down. Now with that being said-
if the license doesn't look like them or it looks fake, then that wouldn't fly.

Lets face the facts - if it's someone that looks shady and is under 45 years old and drives up in a junk vehicle, then NO TEST RIDE FOR YOU.
But if they came dressed real nice in a 50K vehicle or more and wanted a Busa - well then..........

Yes I KNOW there are almost no guarantees in life and almost everyone gets burned at one time or another.
But using common sense will get you a long way on the track to having a pleasant transaction take place.

I choose to believe there are more good people than bad people in the world. At least in my neck of the woods. :rofl:

I don't want to see anyone die...may he rest in peace. Didnt sound as if he was trying to pull a scam...just was short on cash. This guy made some bad decisions and choices...who hasnt? On another note as long as I get my $$$money, presidents, currency, bread$$$ I could care less what you do with anything I sell you. If I'm selling it then I should have detached myself and moved on.

That may be true about the pieces of paper being worthless however, usually money orders have to be paid for, before they will type one up, at least around here.
Yes it could be forged or a fake, but most low life's won't have access to premium equipment to produce a good fake. If you were that worried you could call the bank it was drawn on.
That would mean you have to conduct (schedule) the test ride during bankers hours 9-5.

One of the reasons I would take their drivers license is so if they never came back it should be easier for the cops to track them down. Now with that being said-

Lets face the facts - if it's someone that looks shady and is under 45 years old and drives up in a junk vehicle, then NO TEST RIDE FOR YOU.
But if they came dressed real nice in a 50K vehicle or more and wanted a Busa - well then..........

Yes I KNOW there are almost no guarantees in life and almost everyone gets burned at one time or another.
But using common sense will get you a long way on the track to having a pleasant transaction take place.

I choose to believe there are more good people than bad people in the world. At least in my neck of the woods. :rofl:
I don't know what neck of the woods ur in but criminals and crime are everywhere. Our jobs and the crap we see daily make us very cynical :laugh:

criminals love ppl like you... and if u think low life criminals don't have access to laser scanners and computers uve definitely been living in fantasy land way too long. and I don't know too many ppl showing up in a $50k truck to buy a Busa since their probably not paying more then $8k for it but I'm sure their are a few but far more will be picking it up in a $10k truck......

most quads cost that much so id say u need to take the blinders off and wake up to reality before u get scammed urself! especially if u think most ppl are good. again, thieves LOVE ppl like you.

you know wat criminals look like? they look like you and I and everyone else thats what they look like!

criminals love ppl like you... and if u think low life criminals don't have access to laser scanners and computers uve definitely been living in fantasy land way too long. and I don't know too many ppl showing up in a $50k truck to buy a Busa since their probably not paying more then $8k for it but I'm sure their are a few but far more will be picking it up in a $10k truck......

most quads cost that much so id say u need to take the blinders off and wake up to reality before u get scammed urself! especially if u think most ppl are good. again, thieves LOVE ppl like you.

you know wat criminals look like? they look like you and I and everyone else thats what they look like!

First off - I guess it's a good thing I'm not in the market to sell my bike.

Second is how far do you take it?
Do you require them to have 100% cash handed to you and a signed waiver that if it returns with even the slightest scratch then they have bought it?
Photograph the person and make copies of the licenses?
Fingerprint them while your at it? DNA sample too? Maybe they should leave their children with you until they return?

Have you been burned so many times that you don't trust anyone with anything?

As I stated before COMMON SENSE GOES A LONG WAYS.
I may not be able to see every criminal that comes along - but I would hope that when something just doesn't feel right I could trust my gut.

If I only wanted to get robbed a little bit I could always trade it in. :rofl:

NOW WITH ALL THIS SAID, if the new owner was willing to buy it with no test ride - then there would be nothing to worry about - provided they paid with cash -
OH Wait the cash could be fake. :laugh:

got that covered....:laugh:

download.jpg

Here is something I wrote up when I was preparing to sell my bike last year. I didn't have to use it as the buyer agreed to purchase the bike without a test ride. Feel free to use it if you like. - JPunisher :laugh:

Motorcycle Test Ride Agreement

I __________________________________ (Rider/Buyer) agree that the condition of the motorcycle specified below is in excellent shape with no cosmetic or mechanical damage whatsoever. I agree to PURCHASE AND PAY IN FULL the amount of $___________ to
___________________(Seller) if any damage to the motorcycle is incurred during this test ride.

Make: __________
Model: __________________
Year: ______ Color: _______
VIN: ________________________

I also certify and agree to the following:
1. I, the Rider/Buyer, hold a valid driver’s license with motorcycle endorsement.
License Number: _______________ State: ____

2. I, the Rider/Buyer, am insured.
Insurance Company: _______________ Policy Number: _____________

3. I, the Rider/Buyer, am at least 18 years old.
Date of Birth: ______________

4. I, the Rider/Buyer, understand the risks of riding a motorcycle and shall be responsible for any and all liabilities (civil, criminal or otherwise) incurred while riding the motorcycle. This includes but is not limited to:
a. Injuries to self or others
b. Damage to property
c. Traffic violations

5. I, the Rider/Buyer, shall not use the Vehicle for any purpose deemed illicit or illegal, or for any purpose which is otherwise in violation of federal, state or local laws.

6. I, the Rider/Buyer, understand the duration of the test ride specified below and will return the motorcycle no later than the End Time specified. I, the Rider/Buyer, understand that if I exceed the allotted time, the Seller will CALL THE
POLICE AND REPORT THE MOTORCYCLE AS STOLEN.
Test Date: ___/___/___ Start Time: ________ End Time: ________

7. I, the Rider/Buyer, understand that in the event that any of the terms of this agreement are not met, I will be taken to court and agree to pay the Seller’s court and legal fees.

Print Name (Rider/Seller): ___________________________
Address (Rider/Seller): ___________________________________________________
Signature (Rider/Seller): _____________________________ Date: ___/____/____

I also have some personal rules that I always follow:

1. Never give out your address or meet at your house (don’t give away the location of the bike). Meet up at a bank. Plenty of cameras and you can deposit the money as soon as you get it. Some banks also provide notarization services for free.
2. Cash only. No test rides without cash in my hand or a signed test ride agreement.
3. Have the buyer get there first. I have been left hanging too many times. People call and don’t show up or show up hours late. I don’t leave my house until I get a call that the buyer is there.
4. Never take off work or leave work early to meet a buyer. Why you ask? See #3.
5. Never reschedule important events to show a bike. Why you ask? See #3.
6. Bring a friend. I usually have a friend go ahead of me in their car and park near the buyer. He will give me a call and let me know the situation. If it looks shady I will cancel. The buyer is unaware of this person until I show up with the bike and the transaction begins.

JPunisher

This is my opinion.....most serious buyers of motorcycles will know the mechanical condition of the bike when checking it out. I have sold a few bikes and never had an issue with selling without a test ride given. I sold a Harley Sportster years ago and had no problem letting the dude test ride it. He and his buddy were hard core 1%ers and already had two other scooters on their trailer, cash in hand, handed over before the test ride. I always fill out a simple bill of sale to cover both parties.

Yikes. The wonderful part about being in Montana is 90% of folks are honest. Unfortunately, you can't tell who the other 10% are, so I always want to see cash. My current Hayabusa will be a gift to my son when he is ready.

Back