Warren Miller , this guy has convinced me

BentValve

Alive & enjoying it!
Donating Member
Registered
Damn...I am 35 and I have never skied ...I have lived 40 miles from Aspen and have been to several of the top ski resorts in Colorado as well as here in WA yet I have never done it.
I was going to go skiing once in Aspen but I got sick on the way and never did go before I moved away from CO.

I have seen several of Warren Millers movies recently on a few HDTV channels and I am convinced that this is something I NEED to experience ASAP, I just know that i will be hooked.
Ah yes, I can see it now....ski all winter and ride all summer!!

Now yer talkin! I started really skiing when I was 38 when we moved to Utah. Once you learn it - it totally rocks!

I skiied with one of Warren Miller's old buddies. (He was 64, I was 40.) He skiied me into the ground.

Go for it! Get someone to help you get the basics down, get some intermediate instruction for technique, and ski-on!

My two favorite fastest things to do - Run the busa hard and downhill ski.

Good luck!

James - it's a MUST DO!!!! I didn't start skiing until I was 36 and it has been a wintertime passion for me ever since. Take the above advice and get some good basic instruction. Lot's of adults are beginners and most of the 1st level group lessons are all adults. You might also love to snowboard.

I think it will be stellar year for snow. Go for it!!!

I learned in my mid 30's too. The class I took was full of teenagers and kids. One of them convinced me to go off a jump. Some advice for the 35 year old new skier...do not go off jumps.

Thanks...which is harder to do? What is the difference between skiiing vs snowboarding?

Frankly the skiing looks more intense...for example in one of Millers movies there are like 10 skiers all hauling thru
some pretty dense trees, bumper to bumper , going really fast!

Can snowboards hit 60-70 mph?

I learned in my mid 30's too. The class I took was full of teenagers and kids. One of them convinced me to go off a jump. Some advice for the 35 year old new skier...do not go off jumps.
Nah , ill hit the jumps the first day.
biggrin.gif

Now yer talkin!  I started really skiing when I was 38 when we moved to Utah.  Once you learn it - it totally rocks!

I skiied with one of Warren Miller's old buddies.  (He was 64, I was 40.)  He skiied me into the ground.

Go for it!  Get someone to help you get the basics down, get some intermediate instruction for technique, and ski-on!  

My two favorite fastest things to do - Run the busa hard and downhill ski.

Good luck!
UTAH SNOW ROCKS!!!!! My favorite place to ski!!!

Also why is this powered snow more desireable? The snow in the face and mouth dont look that great...vision must get messed up too with the powdered snow.

Thanks...which is harder to do?  What is the difference between skiiing vs snowboarding?

Frankly the skiing looks more intense...for example in one of Millers movies there are like 10 skiers all hauling thru
some pretty dense trees, bumper to bumper , going really fast!

Can snowboards hit 60-70 mph?
I don't know about speed and snowboards but everyone I know who crossed over to snowboarding never skied again. I believe it is easier to learn quickly. That's what I'm told anyway.

Also why is this powered snow more desireable?  The snow in the face and mouth dont look that great...vision must get messed up too with the powdered snow.
It's just so much nicer to ski in powder, even though when deep it's harder work - the consistancy is like comparing feathers to mashed potatoes.

BV .. Be careful man ..Its a risky business that skiing.. Just remember if you take a bad tumble try to land on your head to protect any vital organs...
biggrin.gif

BV .. Be careful man ..Its a risky business that skiing.. Just remember if you take a bad tumble try to land on your head to protect any vital organs...  
biggrin.gif
I've had one serious injury from skiing and it made me much more cautious. I don't ski hard like I used to because of it.

You must snowboard. I started sking when I was seven and didn't try snowboarding until I was 25... I am now 36 and have never skied again. Snowboarding is so much fun it has to be a sin. It is easier to learn how to ski but can take a long time to become extremely technical... Snowboarding is harder to learn but easier to become technical. I could do all that freaky stuff with ski's but snowboarding was just so much more fun...

Ya gotta try it man!! You will love it! I haven't ski'd for a yr or so...but it is a rush!

Take the advice and get some (at least)basic instruction...it'll make it MUCH more enjoyable.

Oh, and don't worry about powder vs non powder for awhile...to me the most fun is rocking down a groomed high speed bowl.....

Mt Bachelor...."Avalance" off the green chair....long gone now, replaced with high speed quads...

Ahhh, the memories! (25 yrs ago!)

Sure was fun tho!

i learned to ski at 18/19.. we live about 1 hr. from a decent resort.. and several others 3-4 hours away.. used to wear it out. You'll love it.

packed snow is actually my preference.. powder is easier to control yourself on though.. or it seems to me. packed is faster... and more of a challenge.

frozen snow sucks though.. hehe you can tell you've hit that when you can't turn enough to worry about... can't stop.. and we'll.. your outta control basically.. plus it's really noisy.. sounds like skiing on concrete... and feels about the same if you wipe out in it.

I haven't been skiing in a few years though.. marriage, baby... the usual free time killers.

I can't wait till the baby gets a few years older to start taking her.

my kid is gonna be one of THOSE kids.. ya know.. the one that makes you feel like a total dweeb when he/she goes whizzin' by you on the black diamond just after you face planted.. haha. It's amazing how fast some 6-7-8 YO kids go on ski's.

anyway.. . i'm rambling.. go do it.. you'll love it.

210 rosi monoboard. snow is a good thing. we used get a bunch of us together on clear sky with a full moon and ski all night long in the back country. sooo nice and quiet fesh tracks every run and powder for days

Man all I can say is high speed crashes hurt, for me I could never get the whole slowing down thing. Basically blitz down till you crash, then pick up the pieces:)
still very fun though.

there is nothing like it its a blast ya get to lean names like anterior cruciate ligament ,meniscus, medial and lateral ligaments
blush.gif
skied for 11 years was on ski patrol here at a local mountain but after 3 knee surgeries gave it up wondered if age and wisdom would help me if i went back
tounge.gif

Well I guess I will start out snowboarding then, I'll let you all know how it goes.
smile.gif
Probably gonna plan something for December..i'll just hit my local ski hill.

I've always loved skiing. I tried snowboarding a couple of years ago and couldn't get into it.

There's something about skiing - its not just the adrenalin rush, but its being up in the mountains - away from the realities of life, in the beautiful fresh air and scenery.

Best of luck whichever you go for skiing/snowboarding, but like the others said, make sure you get some good instruction, and be patient with it.

You'll probably take a few falls while you're learning, and many adults get frustrated with it and give up. Stick at it, throw yourself down the mountain and you'll pick it up real quick.

Back