Warning sticker

Warrior58d

Registered
Does anybody have a good way to remove the orange and white warning stickers that came all over my bike??? I took three days and some goo gone to finally finish getting the one off the tank but the ones on the inside of the fairings I afraid will even still more difficult. Any ideas

:devil:

The stickers on the plastic parts are easier to remove than the one on the tank. Take your girlfriends hairdryer and heat the sticker, pull up a corner (small piece) and SLOWLY work it off. Just pull up a little and then heat again, pull, heat, and so on. You could use a heat gun instead but it is much easier to screw up your baby with 1400 degrees of heat. The one on the tank I removed the same way however it left a little adhesive on the tank which I removed with a very small amount of carburetor cleaner on a soft cloth. Hope it helps, Chris

The stickers on the plastic parts are easier to remove than the one on the tank.  Take your girlfriends hairdryer and heat the sticker, pull up a corner (small piece) and SLOWLY work it off.  Just pull up a little and then heat again, pull, heat, and so on.  You could use a heat gun instead but it is much easier to screw up your baby with 1400 degrees of heat.  The one on the tank I removed the same way however it left a little adhesive on the tank which I removed with a very small amount of carburetor cleaner on a soft cloth.  Hope it helps, Chris
Do that rexcept use a citrus cleaner (orange) it is made for removing labels with out hurting the paint.

Having just removed my own stickers, I agree with the above advise. The stickers on the plastic are much easier to remove. A little heat or solvent would help also. I wish I would have done it that way. I used a soft piece of plastic to scrape them off. It worked, but it took forever.

plastic ones were simple... Took a razor (window sticker remover) for the tank one... Scratched the clear coat a hair... Wish I had known about the hairdryer and Orange cleaner!

ARGH!

The Textured plastic that the stickers on the side are mounted on came off super easy. Simply grab pluck up an edge with a finger nail and pull off gently, the tank was a pain but the hairdryer and a little Goo-Gone did the trick. Be careful with the chemicals though, dont damage your paint...

3M makes excellent adhesive remover that is safe on finishes.
Get this, it's called 3M adhesive remover and you can buy it at most auto parts places.
And yes the hairdryer thing works good, but a heat gun works great, just be careful.

Another tip on this based on my experience in body and detail shops over the years...

When you use solvents like Goo Gone or 3M Adhesive Remover keep in mind that they don't work like soap & water when you wash. What they do is dissolve the adhesive goo so it releases from the surface. You're not trying to scrub the goo off, you're breakin' it down so it releases and then wiping it off.

The goal is to soak the adhesive goo spot with the solvent to break it down. Use a soft, thick rag with LOTS of solvent on it and hold it on the adhesive instead of rubbing vigorously like yer tryin' to wash it off. By saturating the adhesive with solvent you break it down better and faster than if you rub with it. Rubbing makes the solvent dry faster and you don't get the full effect.

So, let the solvent do it's job and break the adhesive up and then follow up with a second soft rag with solvent and light wiping, followed by a third soft dry cloth. It'll save tons of time and work if you do it properly.

WARNING: Be careful when using solvents of ANY kind on ANY surface. Always try it on a spot that is hidden if possible to make sure it isn't going to damage the surface you plan to use it on. I learned this the same way I learned the good stuff... through experience.  

Also, wear protective gloves, eye wear and use solvents in a well ventilated area. Some of this stuff is far nastier than you'd think!

Hope this makes it easier for someone.   :cool:

The front and rear "Suzuki" come off even EZr than the rest. Rubbing alchohol will remove the remaining goo and make it ready for whatever you put in it's place

:type:

Like This:

corrodedalin_norcal_tail.JPG

Another trick I used to use, and forgot. It came back to me while I was removing the idiot warning stickers from my busa today.

If you can get a decal to come off on one piece with most of the adhesive on the back of it, keep stickin' it down and rippin
it off quickly (straight down onto the surface, straight up from the surface) and it'll usually pull off ALL of the visible goo. Then just take a cotton rag soaked with solvent (I used rubbing alcohol today... all I had) and simply wipe off any residue that might remain. It's even easier than using solvents and a lot safer on the paint and your skin. :cool:

Unfortunately all but one of my stickers came off in about 10,000 pieces today. Don't know why they were being so stubborn. Oh well, they're gone without a trace now. And I used that one to remove most of the adhesive from all the other decals. ;)

Bullet Train

Did you remove any of the major sticker that make the bike look like its two tone, or are you just talking about the safety stickers and Suzuki stickers??

Kent

Just the safety/warning stickers and the Suzuki stickers. The two tone appears to be paint, broh. I don't think I'd wanna peel that off. :D

The "GSX1300R" sticker should come off like the Suzuki one did. That's the next one I'm going to replace once I find a suitable decal to go in it's place.

Pour a little cooking oil onto a clean rag and rub onto the gunk that is left on the tank. Takes off the glue without taking off the wax. Then use a rag dipped in a solution of mild soapy water to take away the excess oil. (kinda works the same way as the WD40 but not as harsh)

Pour a little cooking oil onto a clean rag and rub onto the gunk that is left on the tank.  Takes off the glue without taking off the wax.  Then use a rag dipped in a solution of mild soapy water to take away the excess oil.  (kinda works the same way as the WD40 but not as harsh)
Now that's what I'm looking for...no time to go find goo-be-gone or other solvents that aren't already sitting around in the shed.... :)

Some old fashioned cooking oil, huh?! I've still got the tank label to take off, but the ones on the plastic came off very easily...just peel them back slowly to keep them in one piece...

Back