Factory Sticker Goo on tank

MEBusa

Registered
30 Helpful Items To Remove Sticky Adhesive Goo

I still have some sticker goo left on my fuel tank, from removing the factory sticker, with a heat gun. I tried some wd40, but only sprayed it on for a minute, before wiping it off. It didn't remove it (probably didn't leave it on long enough).

Anybody used any of these remedies on this list, to successfully remove any goo from paint. Or any other suggestions.

30 Helpful Items To Remove Sticky Adhesive Goo : TipNut.com

Thanks again.

I've used the nail polish remover to take tint off my car. I've also used lighter fluid and windex to remove the residue after taking off the molding's on my car as well. I've tried Goo Gone and wasn't overly impressed. If you try the Nail Polish Remover just be careful. You also might want to try putting a warm paper towel down on the sticker residue and let that soak for a while and try to peel the sticker off. I sometimes use this product to remover stickers as well, it's called "Glass Cleaner" made by SprayWay. I would try the a product other than the Lighter Fluid and Nail Polisher Remover first though.

I would try the WD-40 again. It won't hurt your paint, especially if you wash the area once the sticker goo is removed.

step 1: blow dryer
step 2: peel off decal
step 3: goo gone
step 4: rewax/repolish using MF towel

been using above steps for many projects with good results.

A really good rub with some good cleaner wax constantly turning the towel over and using more wax will work .

Ronsonol cigarette lighter fluid works very well, just wash the area that you use the fluid on. It will not harm the paint or clear coat if you wash it off when finished.

Over the years you will get a drop or two of gasoline on your tank. If you have been riding long you probably have already done this. It didn't hurt the paint did it?

do not make the mistake of touching the clear coat with a cotton towle while its still hot from the heat gun:whistle:... tiny cotton fibers in my clear coat

Ok, I got it off. :cheerleader:

The inside of my shop is cold, [40 deg. outside] (so my Busa is cold); I propped a portable heater, over the goo area on the tank, to warm the surface. Then I applied baby oil, onto the surface, with my fingers, and continued to rub it over the spot, until I felt the goo loosen some.

I then put some of the oil, onto a soft cloth, then rub the excess, from the paint. In about 5 minutes, all of the goo residue was gone.

Worked like a charm :laugh:

Thanks all, for your input.

Back