Removing the dreaded tank sticker

BigGeorge

BigGeorge
Donating Member
Registered
Taking off my warning sticker. Got the top warning stickers off no problem with a dash of goo gone. But that horrible tank sticker comes off in tiny pieces... even with some goo gone on it.

Someone out there has to have a solution. What product takes off that decal best?

Thanks!

-G

Heat gun first, take your time, don't get too close. Then use GooGone to clean up the rest.
biggrin.gif

I used a hand held hair dryer and a wooden popsickle stick to rub it away. Goo gone or WD 40 or even windex or simple green will remove the old glue.

BigGeorge, mine kept breaking up too. Just keep at it and keep heating it up. The glue residue is the easy part w/ goo gone or wd-40. Getting the sticker itself off is tedious. Good luck and let's see the finished product!

It's funny cause that sticker looked like it wuz gonna peel off the easiest,till I realized that only the clear mylar came off!!!!
Use the hairdryer and I just kept picking away on it with my thumbnail!
Sux but it works. Then some WD-40 for teh glue

Thanks guys. Never thought of the hair dryer.

BiG-T you're right... I thought it was gonna be easy too, until I noticed it was only the clear plastic!
tounge.gif

I'll work on it more tomorrow.

Thanks, again.

-G

its a never a easy process...top of the tank was easy, but on the frame? was hard, and take some time...

Took mine off the tank with acetone and a razor blade, doing so CAREFULLY..

The razor blade wasn't one of those utility knives, it was a flat-shaped one used for scraping stickers off of auto windshields and home windows. FYI.

Mine HAD to come off, b/c the prior owner started picking at it and stopped, so it looked even worse than if he'd left it alone!

BUSAFETT

Piece o'cake- And there was so much blasted adhesive on that sticker, I probably could have used a hammer and chisel and still not dinged the paint..

Once again, the key factor is: TAKE YOUR TIME.

BUSAFETT

<!--EDIT|BUSAFETT
Reason for Edit: None given...|1146074374 -->

50 grit sandpaper and an Oxy/acetlyne torch...

Sheesh Folks, surprise some of ya still ahve paint on yer bikes...

Grab the wife's hairdryer and your finger nail, warm it carefully and take your time. When it's all off, a little goo gone, or WD-40 and your good. Be careful with anything more dramatic easy way to damage your paint...

Something about applying heat near a fuel tank doesn't make me feel any more warm and fuzzy than my approach.. But that's just me
smile.gif

BUSAFETT

there are some chemicals on the market , for taking out the stickers from hardy surfaces , without a suitable remover chemical it will be very hard to remove .

50 grit sandpaper and an Oxy/acetlyne torch...[/QUOTE]

Lol..nice one!
Sorry,but Acetone is only good for doing shots with the guys on Friday nites!!!
biggrin.gif

Finally got mine off... used a wallpaper steamer... what a pain in the A$$
mad.gif

Sprayed Carb Cleaner onto a clean rag... Firmly rubbed the rag on the tank sticker... Came off almost instantly..

No damage to the paint either.. Very simple and easy.

Remove as much as possible using a hair dryer & your finger nail, then WD-40, (DON'T use the hair dryer at the same time with WD-40, WD-40 is very flammable!) This system works well and leaves no mark.

My warning stickers weren't that bad. I had the bike sitting out in the sun for a little while and just used my fingernail to peel them off. After that I came back with some WD-40 to get the adhesive off.

JJ

Back