Want to start Racing....

aka Danksy

Registered
There seems to be a lot of people here who do track days, race etc.

I would like to become one of them. I don't think I'm Ben Spies but I know my way around a corner and how to push a bike or two.

I live in NH so my local track is LOUDON

I have zero interest in bringing the Busa up there, but I am open to suggetions on what secondary bike to have as a racebike.

anyone with experience on how to get started I would appreciate any tips.

my thoughts were to buy a 600 this winter and prep it to race in the spring.

like I said ANY help would be appreciated.

:beerchug:

-Danksy

Just buy a new 600 and just upgrade the brakes and install a steering dampner, you should be good to go. If/ when you get good then you could upgrade the suspension if you are serious about racing. If your just wanting to have fun i wouldnt bother with the suspension. :thumbsup:

Yeah...you could go the 600cc route. But I'd encourage you to research and see how incredibly crowded those classes have become. Whether it be in AMA or WERA Motorcyle Road Racing :: Home :: v2009n8x23 :: Depending on the location of the track...practice sessions for the 600 size bikes has become almost laughable.

I'm not saying you have to go jump into a litre class to have fun either. My recommendation would be if your serious....just go to some of your local races. Talk to your local racers and see what grabs your attention before you go out and drop $$ on a race track only machine.

No matter what though......your bound to have fun! I know I did! :thumbsup:

I have zero interest in bringing the Busa up there, but I am open to suggetions on what secondary bike to have as a racebike.

Guess that would also depend on what $$$ you have to put into the hobbie.... Going out an buying a brand new bike to use for the track sounds expensive I would have thought a used bike even older 750 one that has cheap after market plastics available at the drop of a hat :whistle: Spend the real money on armor an leathers an other safety gear:thumbsup::thumbsup: I am not racer so maybe our track guys can get you headed the best path..

There seems to be a lot of people here who do track days, race etc.

I would like to become one of them. I don't think I'm Ben Spies but I know my way around a corner and how to push a bike or two.

I live in NH so my local track is LOUDON

anyone with experience on how to get started I would appreciate any tips.

my thoughts were to buy a 600 this winter and prep it to race in the spring.

like I said ANY help would be appreciated.

:beerchug:

-Danksy

Living in CT as I do, all the track days that I've researched in this area are at Loudon and I've heard it's no good for a big bike like my Busa. What makes a track bad for a Busa???

its an insanely short track that a busa would get walked on if it were up there. We don't have the short wheel base or high center of gravity of the small bikes but the straights aren't long enough to make up for it with HP.

I was considering starting in the liter class.

but this isn't just for fun, fun is a track day, this is something I want to take to a higher level. didn't know if there was a correct way to do it.

If you have never attended a track day and are looking to be a competitive racer, you have a looooooooooooooong and expensive way to go my friend!

If you don't have a wheel barrow full of Ben Franklins, you'll need to have a gun and ski mask and be good at robbing banks. $480 for a set of NT211's and they last one weekend. I've been at this for a long time and it will suck you dry if you don't have sponsors to foot the bill. It's very easy to spend a grand during a weekend of racing.

Buy yourself a used track bike that's already set up and race ready that's a couple years old. You'll save a pile of cash and a two/three year old bike will serve you well for your first season on the track. They are cheap and you can find them everywhere. Racers have to upgrade every two years to be able to compete for factory $$$$$$.

First I would attend a sport bike school then if you want to proceed, I would buy a good used 600 cc sportbike, after checking it over, and pull off the stock plastics for race units. Get some track tires and go at it. Racing is expensive but you will find out for your self. Good luck!

i recomend trackdays or track school first .
Ive heard it said many times a sv650 is great bike to become fast on.
Then move up if its working out for you.

My choice would be a Gixxer 750. Doesn't have to be a newer one...I like the older SRAD model 97-2000 era They handle real well. Going back with carbs though, and not as much power as the newer ones but lots of fun.

I did the penguin race school last year and last April I took my wife's SV650 down to New Jersey motor speedway. Which is awesome! Had a blast.
Peeps told me the Busa is too heavy for the track, and I would have better lap times on the SV. I see their point, because I was worn out throwing that little SV around the track for 6 20 min. sessions.
The liter bikes passed me on the staights, but I passed them on the outside in the corners.
Next time I'm going to take my Busa and see if my laptimes are faster?
The Liter bikes definately have an advantage in New Jersey, but Loudon; The SV & the 600's have the advantage!

Get your hands on the best deal for a used bike at the time. Don't worry about manufacture or size. You certainly don't want anything new.

Get something that will not make you cry if/when you rash up the plastics. It is totally possible to do trackdays have fun and not crash but just in case you do the older bike will not hurt s much in the wallet.

You can not just go out and start racing, you will have to "qualify" for your racing license. That is where trackdays are going to be your start.

No need for all the hassle man..... Just think 1320'.....

You have a Hayabusa, all you need is a dragstrip, a few minor cheap mods, and wallah !!! Instant gratification !!!!!

Where else can you do 10 second +/- quarter miles at 140+ mph ??? A few test and tunes and some good advice and you will be living large !! :thumbsup::beerchug:

why waste your time with another bike. I can ride anywhere I want and still knock someones socks off when I need to. Take the $$$ you would spend on another bike and set the Busa up. Slam it, stretch it, and get an airshifter. You will find a brand new love for the Busa... :thumbsup:

Like has been said above, buy a race bike that is already set up. The WERA & CMRA boards always have a good selection of race bikes for sale. Race season ends soon & there will be plenty of bikes on the boards for sale.
Expect to spend $1000 for a weekend of racing. Try track days first, then you can go from there.

My Wife & I both have 2005 Honda 600RR's for the track. Great handling & plenty of parts out there. Don't go w/ a very old bike, or abscure model, parts will be hard to find.

WERA Motorcycle Roadracing - 13x Forums

CMRA :: Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association

Back