Spies aerodynamic dilema

2hip

Registered
Go Spies, Still young gun whose star is on the rise....Blew his start bigtime at Laguna. Went from 2nd row 4 spot to almost 7th or 8th place before he started working his way back. My biggest hope is that next year when they move to a bigger bike body Ben will be able to hide better behind it. Ben was losing over a half a second a lap to the leaders. It was so obvious to see during the race that he not only couldn't keep up with Stoner, Lorenzo, and Pedrosa..but was actually losing ground to them every lap. He can't hide behind the bike like the little guys. One of the race guys made a comment during the interviews that just the position of the foot on the pegs can make a 2-3 mph difference in the bikes speed...
Last year I watched Pedrosa just fly past Spies like he was nothing on a straightaway. Even Spies made a comment about it in a magazine. What do you guys think about Spies aerodynamic challenges and his possiblitites next year with more experience and bigger bike? I also think the type of track plays into the challenge for Spies. You look at how far behind he is in seconds by the end of a race on some of the tracks and there is no possiblity for him to even podium unless disaster strikes some of the leaders.

Nickey is not a little guy and he managed to do ok when he was on a honda:whistle:

Spies is quite a bit bigger than Hayden..

1ffc7175-6acd-4ad3-84e4-c60af32c54aa.jpg

Nickey is not a little guy and he managed to do ok when he was on a honda:whistle:

Apples to oranges as well. The Honda has the power to make up for the aerodynamics as well.. The Honda is by far the superior MACHINE in MotoGP. Anyone that denies that is obviously not a MotoGP follower..

Apples to oranges as well. The Honda has the power to make up for the aerodynamics as well.. The Honda is by far the superior MACHINE in MotoGP. Anyone that denies that is obviously not a MotoGP follower..
True im just saying that nickey and ben are both big guys compaired to a lot of the fleet. Its also true that on the long straights any little bit of drag will hurt. I remember an interview with nickey a few years back when he talked about how hard it was for him to get tucked in completely. In the same interview he said his size helped him muscle the bike around in certian conditions and on certian tracks:dunno:

Hayden complained about ergo's in his last year with Honda . Threw some jabs here and there throughout the season.

Now, all 3 Repsol's have different front plastic and some other things for each of the riders needs.

I can't find pics of a Honda and Yamaha side by side in the winner circle but the Yamaha front fairing is a good bit larger . Spies gas tank has an extension on the rear moving him back a little. The Yamaha is sweet .

It's not just about how tall a rider is either,how wide you are at the sholders.How long a riders feet are play in to the deal:laugh:

Funny you bring this up,
at laguna seca I noticed his elbows(his nickname) up/out for the first time this year and wondered if it might hurt his aero's in the slower sections,not on the straights(in a tuck). I have not really noticed if he has changed his riding style this year to keep his arms in more?
It could hurt his lap times? I had never noticed/considered it ,prior to this race.:beerchug:

The Claiming Rule Teams for the 2012 season and beyond is going to be interesting as things unfold . No telling what kind of street bikes will come out of it cause for a few of them, it's going to be a win on sunday , sell on monday thing, it's looking like.

To quote Jeremy Burgess on SB Planet when asked if he thought they would be competitive he said " "No, not at all. It's sort of a harebrained scheme to try and put more bikes on the grid. I can't see anyone wanting to spend anywhere near that sort of money to finish sixteenth."

Regardless , Norton is bringing two bikes into the series . I would think they would want to sell a motorcycle or two from their efforts . Read this -

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news/norton-racing-plan-nrv-700-210hp-rotary/

I wish the economy was better for obvious reasons but it would make it easier to read between the lines -- just have to wait and watch it unfold.

Rossi is the same height as Ben and he was winning on the yamaha. But Ben probably spots him 10lbs and more athletically built. His poor start certainly cost him a podium spot considering how badly Pedrosa faded.
Posted via Mobile Device

I believe i read somewhere Pedrosa is 5'2" and 112 lbs.,that's about dwarf dimensions(not that i have anything against dwarfs,but makes it hard for a regular sized feller like Ben to stay up with).

And it's very doubtful that the 1000cc bikes will be physically any larger. The bike Vale is riding is the '12 model, and is not noticeably different in size to Nicky's '11 bike.
Ben will have to come up with the difference somewhere besides a larger fairing.

Well here is a thought, I dont think it is the riders. What about the tuners, The last race was in Germany then you come to LS at sea level. If anybody was there they could tell you about the weather, Fog, Then Warm, Track Temp,. Just walking around you can feel all the temp changes. If you are really serious on your practice laps make 1 or 2 then back in to make changes. The Riders and bike just go along for the ride. :thumbsup:

Hayden complained about ergo's in his last year with Honda . Threw some jabs here and there throughout the season.

Now, all 3 Repsol's have different front plastic and some other things for each of the riders needs.

I can't find pics of a Honda and Yamaha side by side in the winner circle but the Yamaha front fairing is a good bit larger . Spies gas tank has an extension on the rear moving him back a little. The Yamaha is sweet .

That's because the last couple of years at Honda, they were doing all the development work for "The Midget" and not for Nicky. They were planning on a future with Pedrosa, not Hayden...

Went to MotoGP.com for height and weight on top for riders...will try to post in chart form
1. Rossi 6'0" 147 lbs
2. Spies 5'9" 157 lbs
3. Pedrosa 5'3" 112 lbs
4.Lorenzo 5'8" 143 lbs
5.Stoner 5'8" 128 lbs

Spies is giving up almost 30 lbs to Stoner and almost 45 lbs to Pedrosa. Spies has a serious weight disadvantage there. But Lorenzo and Rossi are in the same height category as Spies. No bikes are running better than the Hondas right now. Hoping Ben will continue to improve...Doing pretty darn good..5th place so far.

Back