Mr Spies

2hip

Registered
Terrible thing happened at Indy MotoGP...poor kid..pretty bad to take a wipe-out, stand up, and then get run over by another kid...
Congradulations to "elbows" for his first podium finish at the highest level of racing. I recommend you all go over to MotoGP.com and take a look at something I find very interesting...would like to hear some of the experienced racers amongst us address my question.

When u look at the picture of Danny Pedrosa and Ben Spies there is a huge difference in size...I don't even think little Danny comes to Ben's shoulders...I kid u not. At this level of racing can a guy like Ben, who is such a rising star, give Pedrosa a 30 pound difference in weight between the two of them and be competitive? Ben is not on a factory team yet like Pedrosa is with Honda...but when they go the liter bike format...and I really believe that as a rookie there are some serious people watching Ben's rise up the competitve ladder...will he be able to take on the small guys like Pedrosa, the "doctor", and the likes....Ben looks like a giant compared to these guys...even Lorenzo is a lot smaller than Ben...wadda guys think...bikes at this level have already had every conceivable ounce shaved off...then put Ben on a bike and he gives away 20-30 lbs...does it matter? Or are the bikes so powerful that it is just rider skill at this point and the extra weight carried by the bigger guys is not a factor...awaiting your answers sensei....:bowdown::bowdown:

I am not an expert on this, but with most racing, there is a total weight limit for the driver and vehicle, rather than just the vehicle alone. This way, Spies, who is larger, can ride a lighter bike to compensate. If I recall correctly, either Mick Doohan or Colin Edwards was also quite large, and yet never had any problems being really successful.

He did take pole for the Indy race so it seems maybe weight or size didn't matter?
Also look at Kevin Schwantz . He's 6ft something and was very successful.

There you go. I couldn't remember which racer was the tall one. I had inklings that he was from Texas (hence the Edwards reference). It was Schwantz I was thinking of.

Rider weight definetly makes a difference imo, just not as big of a difference as rider skill and how good of a team you have behind you.

We will see next year since Ben is going to be riding a Fiat Yamaha. He has been more competitive ona satelite bike than was expected. Next season should be exciting!! Go Ben!
Posted via Mobile Device

That Honda really had the grunt on the front straight....

That Honda really had the grunt on the front straight....

Like Spies said, " I though Danny was already on a 1000 liter when he passed me :laugh: , he just blew pass me " ! Size and weight does matter . You may get the weight down, but there is no way to make Spies as small down the straights (hence less drag) as Danny or more control in the bikes weight transfer. Although, it really amazies me that Danny can man handle his bike (because of his size and weight) for 45 min with his upper body. Also, remember his weight and size has VERY BENEFICIAL effects on the tires as the race goes on :beerchug:

I think Spies is Damn competitive despite his size, as a matter of fact his size probably gives him several advantages...
He's probably got greater stamina than other racers, and more strength, and depending on how he shifts his weight I bet you he can get a better grip in turns and use more power through the apex.
Now he might have a problem with acceleration in the straights but that hasn't seemed to be an issue on his bike this year, and since he's got a factory bike next year that's probably going to be and even lesser issue.
So as a fellow Texan all I've got to say is, GIVE 'EM HELL SPIES!!!:thumbsup:

I hope u all are hearing some of the facts....Pedrosa blew by him on the straights...Spies did excellent getting pole position...but many times the pole position isn't rewarded the wreath at the end of the race...i am specifically asking for the opinions of size and weight of Spies versus little guys like Pedrosa at the highest level of bike racing...just so happy to see him get a podium finish...

I went to the Brickyard yesterday, it was an experience like no other. I was pulling for Spies to win, kinda wanted the American to take it at home. Padrosa passed him like lightening, it was great for the first time going. :thumbsup:

Alan, it is an issue....but....it's only one spoke in the wheel of success. A part of all the obvious high level prep that goes into the factory GP bikes is the ergonomic adjustments for the particular rider. I believe that Spies' talent far surpasses the size liability and that Pedrosa passed him soley because of the horsepower difference. As I watched the race it seemed the cornering speed was very similar between the two. ALSO, don't forget the list of elite GP riders that Spies dominated yesterday! Virtually everyone in MotoGP!

A seperate but connected story.....last year I attended an amazing dinner party with Kenny Roberts Sr., Jr., Checa, Wayne Rainey, Schobert, Carr, on and on....I am 5'11" barefooted and I felt like Shaq O'Neil ! We just don't realize how small in stature these guys are until you stand next to them, kind of like horse jockies.
So when a guy like Spies comes along, he really does sound like a giant for the sport. I think it's clear that, like Kevin Schwantz, it won't slow him down at all!
Doyle

I read an article in Roadrace World I believe that addressed this. Spies is
5'11" & weighs 160. Pedrosa is not even 5' & weighs ... nothing. This looks like an obvious benefit, but ... It is far easier to weight the front tire for Ben to assist in turning & stability in the corners over Dani. That is why there is no total bike & rider combined weight rule.

Back