Vance and Hiens 4-2-1-2 header? genII

teryx

Registered
Does anybody know if this is any weight savings from the stocker. I notice that most aftermarket headers are titanium, and the V&H is stainless. I want to get rid of the converters and use my yosh slip ons.

I doubt there will be any weight savings at all. Stainless is heavy and having personally gutted my 08 converter, I can tell you there is only a pound or so of material to lose from the stock header. The V&H header and R77s is the setup I want to go with, but your weight savings are gonna come from the mufflers. The converter gone is great because it no longer cooks your feet. And with a proper tune the V&H header will probably make a little more power because there won't be the big empty chamber where the guts of the converter were.

ya, I was mainly lookin at letting the heat get away, I assume it will get louder too. what was your method for gutting the cats? I did a jeep before and that stuff was tough.

ya, I was mainly lookin at letting the heat get away, I assume it will get louder too. what was your method for gutting the cats? I did a jeep before and that stuff was tough.

I did this solely to get rid of built up heat too, I wasn't looking for or claiming any hp gain. There was no real change in sound, had I not been looking for a change in tone or decibels, it would not have been noticeable.
Originally I just started knocking it out with a large punch(as I've sucessfully done on several cars), but quickly realized that was a losing battle. Instead we cut the top off with a torch, around the center seam and across the front and rear of the pipes. The honeycomb internals are in a sealed metal container inside the header. It is spot welded in during assembly. We had to heat and pry to get it out, and it was a pain. After it came out, the top was welded back on and sprayed with black hi temp primer. This was done in the middle of summer and the lack of heat on my feet was immediately noticeable.
Now there does seem to be more heat there, assumingly because there is now a large empty chamber that's full of hot exhaust. But the temperature is much, much lower. My feet before felt like they were on fire at a stoplight, now you just feel engine heat. It wasn't a hard job and I'de do it again in a second. Well worth the effort in my opinion.
I still think the V&H header would be better because the empty space of the converter would not be there. There would be more backpressure and the potential hp gain would be greater, although probably small, and this would of course be with a good dyno tune.

Dont waste time and money, go for a Brocks system. Full titanium, full power, full customer service.

I have a full dual system (titanium, carbon cans) Ti force at 14.5 lbs. :thumbsup:

i like how everyone says save your money and buy brock !

i have the vh s.s. headers and the m4 slip ons and they are great ,,, yes they are a little lighter and a hell of a lot louder , the system is great and the power after tuneing is as good as the other higher priced systems

my 09 187.4 hp

i wanted teh duel pipes as well i like the sound that is why i went with this set up !

chip.JPG

DSC_2004.jpg

Last edited:
i like how everyone says save your money and buy brock !

i have the vh s.s. headers and the m4 slip ons and they are great ,,, yes they are a little lighter and a hell of a lot louder , the system is great and the power after tuneing is as good as the other higher priced systems

my 09 187.4 hp

i wanted teh duel pipes as well i like the sound that is why i went with this set up !

will I have to trailer my bike to the tuner? or will a non full throttle cruz be ok?

So does Akrapovic, and as said Ti-Force. I still like the looks of the R77s too though, and with V&H header, their only gonna make a few hp less than the 3 mentioned full dual systems. Which also cost alot more.
H2447INTX's comment about it being alot louder is only from his M4 mufflers too, not the V&H header. The M4's do sound cool too.

i put V&H on my gen II. I can def say that there is a saving on weight, just like sixpack said. The pipes are lighter and there is less of them than the stockers. But to really lose the pounds sixpack again is right, lose the cans. I have Jardine GP1 on mine and yes, the V&H will make things a whole lot louder.

I already have these slip on's and like them and plan on putting them on the V&H 4:2
IMG_3157.jpg
[/IMG]

you can ride it , tune is to get the most out of your money !!

yes the loud is from the m4 , but headers will give you a little rumble as well

the VH are made to fit most slip ons, so you can get diff cans if you want to , that is why i got them

the other set ups that have been posted are great and yeah power diff would be very little , but pirce matters to some people

all i can say is if you get them you will love them , and you can use stock cans or get diff ones later

any how let us know which way you go in your add ons!

I thought they went lean with a full pipe, I would assume unless your WFO it would not hurt it.

No, it will not lean enough to harm anything. My bike has been running with a gutted converter and shortened factort mufflers(cut to 1 chamber from 3) for a long time with no tune and no ill effects. The spark plugs look fine. The O2 sensor can make very small adjustments too. Feel free to hear from others, but a full system like that won't hurt the engine, and will run fine with no tune. You are safe, especially to ride to the tuner. PM Boostbysmith or one of the site sponsor tuners and ask them if you're concerned. You're good.

No, it will not lean enough to harm anything. My bike has been running with a gutted converter and shortened factort mufflers(cut to 1 chamber from 3) for a long time with no tune and no ill effects. The spark plugs look fine. The O2 sensor can make very small adjustments too. Feel free to hear from others, but a full system like that won't hurt the engine, and will run fine with no tune. You are safe, especially to ride to the tuner. PM Boostbysmith or one of the site sponsor tuners and ask them if you're concerned. You're good.

I tend to agree with you.

Back