Valve Springs

gerge

Registered
I see a lot of people with turbo Busa's are using stiffer valve springs? Why? Most of the cams in use appear to be stock so I wouldn't think that you would need a stiffer spring to prevent float.....

I am sure someone here can enlighten me!

iamwithstupid.gif

Under boost you have positive pressure working against the valves...also with a turbo motor a valve spring upgrade is cheap insurance
super.gif

usually only the bigger hp guys are running stiffer springs... up around 350+ hp guys. Anything below that you can run stockers just fine.

Thanks!!! The turbo dragbike is coming along well, waiting on the last big pile of parts, hoping to see some high 7's in the 1/4 this year...

(gerge @ Apr. 10 2007,23:52) I see a lot of people with turbo Busa's are using stiffer valve springs?  Why?  Most of the cams in use appear to be stock so I wouldn't think that you would need a stiffer spring to prevent float.....

I am sure someone here can enlighten me!

iamwithstupid.gif
Under that much preassure, you want the valves to open and close completely and quick, you don't want any sloshiness in valves closing...

A simplified way of understanding what valve float does to an engine would be to rest a hammer on your finger, even a big hammer can rest comfortably , now lift it 1/2 an inch and let go .... thats valve float and its realy hard on parts...

A plus is that when using either set of the APE springs at recommended seat pressure for example , there still won't be excessive pressure on the nose of the cam at full lift when using the stock Busa cams that come in @ .345I and .292E

Sometimes increased spring pressure can come at sacrifice to valve train longetivity but not so in this given example .

I have shimmed tlr springs on my racebike,.040 shims bumped the seat pressure ~5psi ,just be carefull of coil bind... that would damage things quickly.
Not recommending TLR springs, they were a best option at the time i built my motor, i have Carpender to put in when i make the time.
For the time and effort to shim just put in some middle of the range APE or Carpender springs .

Back