Valve springs and Ti retainers

turbobusa2000

Registered
Well I melted down my pistons last fall (search vaporized pistons to see pics) and I have finally gotten around to buying parts. My 1363 pistons just came yesterday and my rods are on the way. My block is getting bored and re-plated at millennium technologies. In addition I'm sending the head to Millennium to get repaired and rebuilt. My question is I'm planning on turning the boost up to around 15-18psi and I would like your opinions on valve springs. First of all I'm installing an intake cam on the exhaust side of the head and I wanted to know if installing ape valve springs and Ti retainers would be overkill. I've heard that at higher boost pressures that higher valve spring pressure is a good thing. Along with that is it always necessary to go to Ti retainers with heavy springs or could I get away with the stockers.

i wouldnt install an intake on the exhaust side
it wont net you any gains and possibly mess with things
you dont want a huge overlap as it will bleed the boost out the exhaust

stock does plenty for most setups

Do you think its just a gimmick that they push those retainers for heavier springs? I was going to get the ape 65#'s and according to ape there is a risk of breaking the alumminum retainers with heavy springs.

ive got stock retainers and no issues for the past 2 years on HD springs, i dont personally know anyone using the ti retainers

Ti retainers weigh more than stock. Ti retainers go out of round where the shim sits. That's two strikes in my book. Although some large cams may require them for clearance issues.

When putting intake on the exhaust side the cam lobes do not ride on the buckets properly. They will be offset. It will work if thats what you want.

GOOD INFO GUYS, I'VE DECIDED TO GO WITH STOCK RETAINERS AND STOCK EXHAUST AND INTAKE CAMS. MAYBE ILL JUST INVEST IN A SET OF ADJUSTABLE CAM SPROCKETS AND GET THOSE DIALED IN!

How about the stock timing chain, does that need to be longer than stock or will I be covered with the adjustable sprockets.

stock chain is fine, you can replace it if you want, but i just left my stocker in there, i can get you a cam sprocket as well if you need one.

Back